“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Gulfport, Florida
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Filthy. Fly paper strips hanging from ceilings in three rooms. Dried blood or feces smeared in bathroom, even on shower wall where it could easily have been wiped off. Ugly furnishings and sticky shag carpet. Walls and woodwork covered with grime. Floor behind nightstand (wish we hadn't looked) was an inch thick with crud, cigarette butts and trash. No remote for tv. Curtains falling off hooks. General state of cleanliness is depressing. We were here for one night only on our way home from a vacation up north. We stayed in room 226. We were tired and probably shouldn't have stayed here, but we just needed to sleep. But it wasn't easy to sleep in these surroundings. And now, no kidding, I am itching. I noticed in their directory of properties that this was given a rating of three out of four, "exceeding" standards for their inns. That's about all I need to know about this chain if this dump exceeds their standards. I could go on, but I wanted to get this information out to anyone considering this hotel. Don't do it! I will also be writing to the management of the chain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Herndon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Entering the property it is immediately clear that the picture on the web site is VERY outdated. There is no restaurant on the property, and the swimming pool is a joke. A sign is posted that they hold no responsibility for the dangerous chemicals you may come in contact with in the pool. The pool area furniture is filthy, but after you see a room, you realize that cleaning is not a priority here. The office is depressing, covered in signs threatening additional charges for stealing towels, remote, etc. It goes well with the staff; staff member I met was unfriendly and unpleasantly aggressive, and did not care to share his last name. The room I had reserved the previous week for a week's stay would not available until the following day (smoking room, double occupancy). Very strange, as the hotel appears to be mainly empty, and the person taking the reservation had been friendly and seemed competent. A room with 2 beds was offered in the "old" section, with the provision that our things would be moved to a better room by the staff the following day while we were out. YIKES! After a brief tour of the room and a short walk around the premises we went ahead and moved our things that night to a better room-- far away from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
jersey city, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We travelled from NY and after a late work day (on the thanks giving weekend) it was too late when we were in VA and though of just taking an exit. We saw a bunch of hotels motels right after the exit charging some ridiculous amount. So we thought of driving on one of their main roads and finding a motel which wasnt showing up on basic searches.

Americas Best value inn of Winchester wasn't there and it was 2 mins drive from exit, which was perfect, we walked and we saw the room before taking it and it was awesome and couldnt believe for just 50 the facilities and services they provided.

We re-assured and paid by cash - and it was indeed so cost-effective yet one of the best low cost - high benefit motels I ever stayed. Not to mention the friendly staff, cleanliness, and the size of room.

I will recommend this to anyone- and advise not to stay in one of the motels / hotels right off the exit, they are very expensive and not worth the price - Please drive extra minute and $$ave your hard earned money.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

10/04/2009

We stayed last night,Oct. 3rd, at an America's Best Value Inn in Winchester,VA.
The hotel advertises in Traveler/coupon publications that there is free high speed internet WiFi service. We called in advance and asked if there was WiFi and if it was working and were assured YES on both counts.

This location has NO internet service; the owner or manager has his personal internet service which is not available to guests. AFTER we were unpacked and couldn't get online, he offered to move us to a different room, but I took my laptop to that room before moving my wife and luggage, and found that there was no signal there either. Finally he admitted that the only signal was his neighbor's (protected) and his own (either no wifi or unavailable, it was never clear).

Beyond lying in the ad, lying when we phoned ahead, he tried to move us to another room knowing there was no wifi there, either, Then he was belligerent with me when he was caught in a lie.

Then this morning a maid burst into our room at 8:30AM on a Sunday morning WITHOUT KNOCKING, using her pass key. My car was parked in front of the room and we were registered. Whether she was looking for a cheap thrill of catching guests undressed, or whether she wanted to finish her work early and was assuring that by waking guests at 8:30AM - I don't know, but we didn't appreciate it.

When I complained to the mgr about it at checkout, I got the same attitude as last night.
IF this a franchise , there should be some sensitivity to how people and an operation like this one affects the hotel's brand. If it isn't a franchise, then their hiring practices and/or standards need some serious adjustments.

I'll never stay in another ABVI or other Vantage property if this is what I can expect. Lies, manipulation, the poorest attitude - the antithesis of good customer service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed here and booked 2 rooms, 107 and 104. Room 107 smelled musty and damp. 107 was a little better but not much. The rooms were painted what I would call an ugly sickly color of yellow with 104 having a gaudy looking wine colored carpet. Not inviting at all! Both rooms had filthy moldy shower curtains and I myself left my curtain open like the other poster said and I kept my flip flops on while showering! The bottom of the tub looked scary! The towels smelled clean but had obviously had ink like stains on them that wouldn't come out. The toilet was old looking with a worn out looking seat. The front of the air conditioner grills were filthy with heavy dust. It looks like improvements were made but not very well in the remodeling process. Also the pillows were ancient, thank goodness I brought one from home! I just couldn't wait to get the hell out of there!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

We should have taken a hint when we pulled up to the office only to see a customer leaving the office with a plunger (for the toilet)! We booked the motel because of it's economical rate. Here is what we did not like:
1--cancellation policy :money back only if cancellation is within 48 hrs.
2--room smelled awful--musty, damp.
3--a/c located in rear of unit, in another room that did have large doorway into bedroom. Still, a/c only partially effective in bedroom.
4-bottom flat sheets, rather than contour sheets, combined with mattress covering, made for lumpy bed with sheets coming untucked.
5--drapes partially detached from rods.
6--spider web, albeit a small one, in bathroom.
7--notice from management notifying customers that they would be charged for any missing linens.
What we liked:--leaving

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — room's smell
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I found America's Best Value Inn on Google. I checked it out and the price seemed to be right so I called and booked a room. When I arrived I was immediately impressed. The staff was friendly and they really made you feel at home. The room was clean and well stocked with an ample supply of towels and toilet articles. The beds were comfy and I slept great! A great value for the price and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in or around Winchester.

• Liked — Great Service and Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — Not Applicable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!