“I wouldn't recommend it” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Clayton, North Carolina
“I wouldn't recommend it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Pros: The location was convenient & price reasonable. Staff was friendly & helpful. Facility looks fairly nice from outside esp. with the brick front. Room was large, spacious & included a dorm fridge & microwave. Nice laundry room if needed. Cable tv & in room phone provided. Mattresses were comfortable. Good water pressure in shower.
Cons: Stayed there because of location, price & the pool. I guess 2 out of 3's not bad. The pool was closed with a winter cover over it (in mid July). Free breakfast consisted of cold cereal, loaf bread that could be toasted & coffee (juice machine was broken). 2 out of 4 of the bed pillows were badly stained under pillowcases & should be replaced. No fitted sheet on beds, just a flat sheet that moves around & pulls loose every time you move. Rooms are old & run-down, in need of repair (one area of bedroom carpet badly torn). Bathroom floor was dirty, tub was filthy with brown soap scum & bathroom ceiling was half falling down. 2 drink vending machines available but only working & no snack machines at all. I was told (tiny bags)of ice available in the office (which closes at night tho check-in/out transactions can be done through a small window). Entire room is cooled by an inefficient window unit that doesn't seem to cool room very well. Microwave is turned on & off by plugging & unplugging it from outlet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
tanisha1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Winchester, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear NCNativeMom,

Thank you for sharing your detailed experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and friendly staff. We are aware of the other issues you had mentioned and are planning to take corrective measures in the near future. We hope that you choose to stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Pro- Pet friendly ($5 fee), Cheep. Cons- Dirty sheets, smellyroom, hard beds, Big Holes in carpet, Big holes in ceiling, no fan in bathroom, no security lock on door, after dark out side check inn, no Ice machine, No breakfest. a seperate deposit that you have to go back an get refunded on cheak out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gary A,

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect experience with us. Rest assured, we are addressing your concerns so that our future guests have a more memorable experience.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The room was very dirty. There were hairs and spots on all the linens. Some of the towels were dirty and looked like they had been refolded to hide the dirt. The carpeted floor was sticky and very outdated. There was also a stain beside the bed that looked somewhat like vomit. It was also hard to get the toilet to flush. We also discovered an ant/roach trap on top of the closet shelf. I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Always view the room before choosing to stay!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear mybirdsdotnet,

Thank you for posting a traveler review with us. I appreciate your sincerity in bringing the housekeeping issues to our attention. We have made some recent improvements to our housekeeping practices. Once again, please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

East Norriton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Had I seen the room before staying I would not have stayed here. Booked it because it was pet friendly. Room was not very clean and when we reported a clump of hair in the bathroom we were offered a towel to clean it up. Manager reluctantly did finally did come to room and cleaned it. If given a choice for another hotel, take it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave R,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review. I am sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues you encountered. We are taking the time to address your concerns and have implemented some new training measures. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I didnt even want to sleep on the quilt on the bed. The non english speaking staff would not refund my money so we were stuck. The alarm clock was making a zapping noise upon arrival if thats any indication about the stay. The room smelled like mildew. Don't make the same mistake we did keep driving to the next exit a cheaper price did not justify the gross feeling

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear VWbluebug74,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered with housekeeping during your stay. We are in the process of upgrading our bedding package. We have implemented some new systems to better train our housekeeping staff. We hope that these changes will improve the overall experience.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Honestly my job requires me to travel alot so of seen alot of hotels and staff this hotel is pretty bad poor lighting bathroom makes me feel like im in Iraq. Shower drains so slowly the tub fills with water. Door locks very sketchy should have probley been completely renovated. 15 years ago! I do not recommend pay the extra money and stay in the country in or something like that.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear motoman81888,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay. We are in the process of updating our bedding package. We are also planning on additional updates in the near future. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

GOOD: Pets allowed, so 3 dogs in tow; Mini-fridge & microwave in room. BAD:Unsafe (life safety/ maintenance issues i.e. exposed wiring, plus seedy criminal activity.); Room dirty & smelly. UGLY: Rude desk staff (slow, unfriendly, unhelpful and indifferent at best, seemingly complicit in shady stuff at worst.)

We stayed on a slow Monday night so property was mostly vacant, with all the cars in the guest lot clustered in one specific corner of the complex. Even though we had a prior reservation which was already pre-paid, for some reason the desk clerk put us in a room right next to a "lady of the evening" (and naturally the LOUDEST one imaginable: the walls were so thin that not even the TV blaring WWII documentary footage at full volume could drown out the activity.)

We stuck it out as long as we could, trying not to hear as a half-dozen customers were "entertained" in succession over the span of two hours! Each appointment was loudly followed by the entertainment's obligatory chain-smoke-and-chat session RIGHT outside our door. Not sure why she bothered to go outdoors, since the room reeked of smoke (it even had ashtrays, though the rooms were designated non-smoking and had signs saying such.)

Being a fairly frequent traveller (and a former Hotel employee) who shops around/ brand-hops for deals, I'm familiar with the "get what you pay for" philosophy. Accordingly, I was harboring no illusions about the dirt-cheap rate (pre-paid on Hotwire), just wanted a night's rest in a no-frills,safe environment. Strike out on all counts, as we both agreed we just couldn't stand to stay the entire night. I remembered that we had requested a late checkout and the clerk begrudgingly agreed to a one-hour extension (even though at first he refused to comply at all (despite the fact that this is an advertised perk of the brand's "Value Club", which we had just joined via Android from the motel parking lot.) I stopped at the front desk just to give him a heads-up that we were checking out early in case Housekeeping needed to know for the following morning, giving him a very brief but polite summary of why we were leaving.
He offered no alternate room assignments nor even an apology for the disgraceful situation. Fine, we wouldn't have stayed anyway. But what took the cake was that when I asked him for my copy of the receipt he REFUSED...even though it was a pre-paid reservationj purchased on Hotwire! I could see NO reason why he would refuse such a routine request (especially considering how calm I was acting despite this ridiculous situation: I wasted money on a room I couldn't use, now in the middle of the night I was about to get on the highway again instead of catching some zzz's! Now, I was understandably miffed, and so I impertinently asked him if it would help to call the local police out to mediate the business/ customer dispute: he called my bluff and said to go ahead.
So I did call, not so much to report a crime as much as to encourage the clerk to cooperate. I drove across the street to wait at a gas station since I didn't feel like hanging around there any longer than necessary. After about 20 minutes, two Winchester police officers pulled up and I briefly explained what had transpired. Imagine my surprise when they merely shrugged and dismissed the entire shady scenario (hotel, lady of the night & all) by saying "yep, sounds like pretty much par for the course here." !?! Wow, guess Winchester's not the sleepy little burg I once thought it was...so much for our relaxing 1-night getaway from DC! My advice...spring for the extra $10 and stay somewhere minimally decent, which this was NOT in any sense of the word!

Room Tip: Stay at the other America's best NORTH! Went there 1st by mistake (it's where we spent some...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
tanisha1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Winchester, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Eisel22,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. So that we may further investigate your complaint, can you please contact us directly in order to verify which location you are referring to ?

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!