“Ugh!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
East Norriton, Pennsylvania
“Ugh!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Had I seen the room before staying I would not have stayed here. Booked it because it was pet friendly. Room was not very clean and when we reported a clump of hair in the bathroom we were offered a towel to clean it up. Manager reluctantly did finally did come to room and cleaned it. If given a choice for another hotel, take it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tanisha1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Winchester, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Dave R,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review. I am sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues you encountered. We are taking the time to address your concerns and have implemented some new training measures. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I didnt even want to sleep on the quilt on the bed. The non english speaking staff would not refund my money so we were stuck. The alarm clock was making a zapping noise upon arrival if thats any indication about the stay. The room smelled like mildew. Don't make the same mistake we did keep driving to the next exit a cheaper price did not justify the gross feeling

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear VWbluebug74,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered with housekeeping during your stay. We are in the process of upgrading our bedding package. We have implemented some new systems to better train our housekeeping staff. We hope that these changes will improve the overall experience.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Honestly my job requires me to travel alot so of seen alot of hotels and staff this hotel is pretty bad poor lighting bathroom makes me feel like im in Iraq. Shower drains so slowly the tub fills with water. Door locks very sketchy should have probley been completely renovated. 15 years ago! I do not recommend pay the extra money and stay in the country in or something like that.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear motoman81888,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay. We are in the process of updating our bedding package. We are also planning on additional updates in the near future. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

GOOD: Pets allowed, so 3 dogs in tow; Mini-fridge & microwave in room. BAD:Unsafe (life safety/ maintenance issues i.e. exposed wiring, plus seedy criminal activity.); Room dirty & smelly. UGLY: Rude desk staff (slow, unfriendly, unhelpful and indifferent at best, seemingly complicit in shady stuff at worst.)

We stayed on a slow Monday night so property was mostly vacant, with all the cars in the guest lot clustered in one specific corner of the complex. Even though we had a prior reservation which was already pre-paid, for some reason the desk clerk put us in a room right next to a "lady of the evening" (and naturally the LOUDEST one imaginable: the walls were so thin that not even the TV blaring WWII documentary footage at full volume could drown out the activity.)

We stuck it out as long as we could, trying not to hear as a half-dozen customers were "entertained" in succession over the span of two hours! Each appointment was loudly followed by the entertainment's obligatory chain-smoke-and-chat session RIGHT outside our door. Not sure why she bothered to go outdoors, since the room reeked of smoke (it even had ashtrays, though the rooms were designated non-smoking and had signs saying such.)

Being a fairly frequent traveller (and a former Hotel employee) who shops around/ brand-hops for deals, I'm familiar with the "get what you pay for" philosophy. Accordingly, I was harboring no illusions about the dirt-cheap rate (pre-paid on Hotwire), just wanted a night's rest in a no-frills,safe environment. Strike out on all counts, as we both agreed we just couldn't stand to stay the entire night. I remembered that we had requested a late checkout and the clerk begrudgingly agreed to a one-hour extension (even though at first he refused to comply at all (despite the fact that this is an advertised perk of the brand's "Value Club", which we had just joined via Android from the motel parking lot.) I stopped at the front desk just to give him a heads-up that we were checking out early in case Housekeeping needed to know for the following morning, giving him a very brief but polite summary of why we were leaving.
He offered no alternate room assignments nor even an apology for the disgraceful situation. Fine, we wouldn't have stayed anyway. But what took the cake was that when I asked him for my copy of the receipt he REFUSED...even though it was a pre-paid reservationj purchased on Hotwire! I could see NO reason why he would refuse such a routine request (especially considering how calm I was acting despite this ridiculous situation: I wasted money on a room I couldn't use, now in the middle of the night I was about to get on the highway again instead of catching some zzz's! Now, I was understandably miffed, and so I impertinently asked him if it would help to call the local police out to mediate the business/ customer dispute: he called my bluff and said to go ahead.
So I did call, not so much to report a crime as much as to encourage the clerk to cooperate. I drove across the street to wait at a gas station since I didn't feel like hanging around there any longer than necessary. After about 20 minutes, two Winchester police officers pulled up and I briefly explained what had transpired. Imagine my surprise when they merely shrugged and dismissed the entire shady scenario (hotel, lady of the night & all) by saying "yep, sounds like pretty much par for the course here." !?! Wow, guess Winchester's not the sleepy little burg I once thought it was...so much for our relaxing 1-night getaway from DC! My advice...spring for the extra $10 and stay somewhere minimally decent, which this was NOT in any sense of the word!

Room Tip: Stay at the other America's best NORTH! Went there 1st by mistake (it's where we spent some...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
tanisha1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Winchester, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Eisel22,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. So that we may further investigate your complaint, can you please contact us directly in order to verify which location you are referring to ?

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were exhausted from a long day of driving and decided to stop in Winchester. The Holiday Inn Express right off the exit seemed too pricey so we traveled a few minutes down the road to America's Best Value Inn. We had to book our room through a window from the outside despite the 30-degree weather. It was only 7 p.m. so this was completely ridiculous but we got a room anyway. The parking was adequate and thank goodness we were able to park directly in front of our room because I had an awful feeling about the overnight security (or lack thereof) with everything I owned in the car. The room was absolutely freezing so we had to turn on the air conditioner to heat up the room. It took a long time to heat up but in the middle of the night, I had to get up to turn it down a few times, so that was better than getting hypothermia. When I turned down the sheets to get into the bed, they looked and smelled awful. The 25-year-old blanket between the sheet and comforter was so ratty with cigarette burn holes that I gagged. I pushed it down so that I was only using the sheet and comforter. I slept in sweatpants and a sweatshirt simply so I would have as little skin-to-linen contact as possible. We had been using our pillows as a makeshift dog bed for my service dog during the roadtrip, and even though he had been laying on my pillow for the past 15 hours, I decided it was more hygienic than putting my face on the disgusting pillows provided. When we got up in the morning, the toilet clogged after every use and the light in the bathroom was so far from the shower than I showered in near darkness. Despite the shower, I felt dirty and disgusting and we left around 5 a.m. simply to get out of there. For what we paid, it would've been worth a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else. Do NOT stay here unless you are used to and OK with unsanitary conditions.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear kpackard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I am very concerned about the issues you had mentioned in your review. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. In order for us to investigate the matter, could you please contact me directly to verify which location you are referring?

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South ,VA
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Used advertised coupon, checked in by seemingly indifferent, buzz-cut appearance male clerk. Was informed by this clerk, and a hotel maid, that selected room was amongst "cleanest on the property." Though room had signage and appeared "non-smoking," it reeked of strong pet-odor inside, with the main white linen inside bed cover having holed, tobacco-burnt marks. Shower, toilet was ok, sink had no cold water--only hot ran. Cable TV channel acceptable but big screen was bent. Two other, non-couponed properties a few blocks south down U.S. 11 (advertising lower prices yet didnt get property names) might be worth checking out before choosing this one. Overall, disappointed with experience and way property advertised itself as "a great value" in publications marketed to travelers using coupons.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Stevewonder1,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I deeply apologize for any negative experience you encountered while staying with us. We have recently updated our linens and will soon be upgrading our bedding as well. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall guest experience. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA
Lynn Haven, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have stayed in ABVI's before and been pleased with them, but not this time. As several other reviewers have noted, the internet service is sadly in need of an update. We were not able to access the internet at all. The night desk management spoke very broken English, and only responded with "I am not a computer expert". The day management was better, and tried resetting the router, but to no avail.

Other: the rooms smelled musty/dusty, there were cobwebs in the window sill, the A/C was not running when we entered the room and it was pretty hot and damp feeling; this was even though we had a reservation and they were prepared with our keys when we arrived. The bathroom was actually the cleanest part of the room, the floor had new tile and the tub area looked clean.

The breakfast consisted of two kinds of cereal (both sugary), white bread, watery orange juice or fruit punch, a communal jar of jelly, a jug of milk, and a microwave and toaster to prepare it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!