“Left Feeling Dirty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Left Feeling Dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were exhausted from a long day of driving and decided to stop in Winchester. The Holiday Inn Express right off the exit seemed too pricey so we traveled a few minutes down the road to America's Best Value Inn. We had to book our room through a window from the outside despite the 30-degree weather. It was only 7 p.m. so this was completely ridiculous but we got a room anyway. The parking was adequate and thank goodness we were able to park directly in front of our room because I had an awful feeling about the overnight security (or lack thereof) with everything I owned in the car. The room was absolutely freezing so we had to turn on the air conditioner to heat up the room. It took a long time to heat up but in the middle of the night, I had to get up to turn it down a few times, so that was better than getting hypothermia. When I turned down the sheets to get into the bed, they looked and smelled awful. The 25-year-old blanket between the sheet and comforter was so ratty with cigarette burn holes that I gagged. I pushed it down so that I was only using the sheet and comforter. I slept in sweatpants and a sweatshirt simply so I would have as little skin-to-linen contact as possible. We had been using our pillows as a makeshift dog bed for my service dog during the roadtrip, and even though he had been laying on my pillow for the past 15 hours, I decided it was more hygienic than putting my face on the disgusting pillows provided. When we got up in the morning, the toilet clogged after every use and the light in the bathroom was so far from the shower than I showered in near darkness. Despite the shower, I felt dirty and disgusting and we left around 5 a.m. simply to get out of there. For what we paid, it would've been worth a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else. Do NOT stay here unless you are used to and OK with unsanitary conditions.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
tanisha1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Winchester, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear kpackard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I am very concerned about the issues you had mentioned in your review. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. In order for us to investigate the matter, could you please contact me directly to verify which location you are referring?

Regards,
Vic-GM
Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South ,VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Used advertised coupon, checked in by seemingly indifferent, buzz-cut appearance male clerk. Was informed by this clerk, and a hotel maid, that selected room was amongst "cleanest on the property." Though room had signage and appeared "non-smoking," it reeked of strong pet-odor inside, with the main white linen inside bed cover having holed, tobacco-burnt marks. Shower, toilet was ok, sink had no cold water--only hot ran. Cable TV channel acceptable but big screen was bent. Two other, non-couponed properties a few blocks south down U.S. 11 (advertising lower prices yet didnt get property names) might be worth checking out before choosing this one. Overall, disappointed with experience and way property advertised itself as "a great value" in publications marketed to travelers using coupons.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Stevewonder1,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I deeply apologize for any negative experience you encountered while staying with us. We have recently updated our linens and will soon be upgrading our bedding as well. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall guest experience. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Regards,
Vic-GM
Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA
Lynn Haven, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have stayed in ABVI's before and been pleased with them, but not this time. As several other reviewers have noted, the internet service is sadly in need of an update. We were not able to access the internet at all. The night desk management spoke very broken English, and only responded with "I am not a computer expert". The day management was better, and tried resetting the router, but to no avail.

Other: the rooms smelled musty/dusty, there were cobwebs in the window sill, the A/C was not running when we entered the room and it was pretty hot and damp feeling; this was even though we had a reservation and they were prepared with our keys when we arrived. The bathroom was actually the cleanest part of the room, the floor had new tile and the tub area looked clean.

The breakfast consisted of two kinds of cereal (both sugary), white bread, watery orange juice or fruit punch, a communal jar of jelly, a jug of milk, and a microwave and toaster to prepare it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
notneed
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

internet is nonexistent needs completely updated i shouldn't have to leave my room to go to a wifi spot to use the internet, wireless routers have got to be 10 years old or more, and the tv sucks it would skip every 10 minutes for no reason

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Gulfport, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Filthy. Fly paper strips hanging from ceilings in three rooms. Dried blood or feces smeared in bathroom, even on shower wall where it could easily have been wiped off. Ugly furnishings and sticky shag carpet. Walls and woodwork covered with grime. Floor behind nightstand (wish we hadn't looked) was an inch thick with crud, cigarette butts and trash. No remote for tv. Curtains falling off hooks. General state of cleanliness is depressing. We were here for one night only on our way home from a vacation up north. We stayed in room 226. We were tired and probably shouldn't have stayed here, but we just needed to sleep. But it wasn't easy to sleep in these surroundings. And now, no kidding, I am itching. I noticed in their directory of properties that this was given a rating of three out of four, "exceeding" standards for their inns. That's about all I need to know about this chain if this dump exceeds their standards. I could go on, but I wanted to get this information out to anyone considering this hotel. Don't do it! I will also be writing to the management of the chain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Herndon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Entering the property it is immediately clear that the picture on the web site is VERY outdated. There is no restaurant on the property, and the swimming pool is a joke. A sign is posted that they hold no responsibility for the dangerous chemicals you may come in contact with in the pool. The pool area furniture is filthy, but after you see a room, you realize that cleaning is not a priority here. The office is depressing, covered in signs threatening additional charges for stealing towels, remote, etc. It goes well with the staff; staff member I met was unfriendly and unpleasantly aggressive, and did not care to share his last name. The room I had reserved the previous week for a week's stay would not available until the following day (smoking room, double occupancy). Very strange, as the hotel appears to be mainly empty, and the person taking the reservation had been friendly and seemed competent. A room with 2 beds was offered in the "old" section, with the provision that our things would be moved to a better room by the staff the following day while we were out. YIKES! After a brief tour of the room and a short walk around the premises we went ahead and moved our things that night to a better room-- far away from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
jersey city, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We travelled from NY and after a late work day (on the thanks giving weekend) it was too late when we were in VA and though of just taking an exit. We saw a bunch of hotels motels right after the exit charging some ridiculous amount. So we thought of driving on one of their main roads and finding a motel which wasnt showing up on basic searches.

Americas Best value inn of Winchester wasn't there and it was 2 mins drive from exit, which was perfect, we walked and we saw the room before taking it and it was awesome and couldnt believe for just 50 the facilities and services they provided.

We re-assured and paid by cash - and it was indeed so cost-effective yet one of the best low cost - high benefit motels I ever stayed. Not to mention the friendly staff, cleanliness, and the size of room.

I will recommend this to anyone- and advise not to stay in one of the motels / hotels right off the exit, they are very expensive and not worth the price - Please drive extra minute and $$ave your hard earned money.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!