“Good Enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 27 hotels in Winchester
Toronto, Canada
“Good Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel looks and feels clean and modern.
We got a higher floor room as requested. The size of the rooms is comfortable enough. It's clean and seems to be well maintained. The beds are good. Overall, no complaints here.

The pool is okay. No shower though. And, the towels could be better.

The only thing unexpected was the breakfast. We got the breakfast package and I was expecting a buffet breakfast. I think this is a first for me, for a hotel breakfast package to be a la carte. Apparently, they do buffet on weekends though. The restaurant is not busy at all, just 2 or 3 parties including us. The service wait time was not bad but buffet would have been faster as we were on our way back from home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BartlettJ64, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
The comfort of our guests is our top priority and we certainly make it a point to give them a pleasant experience to remember at all times and for you to commend us on that matter gives us so much glee. Rest assured that your suggestions will not go unnoticed and we will continually work hard to offer you an experience like no other hotel can. Thank you for the appreciation you gave with regards to our hotel cleanliness and the overall comfort you felt. We hope to be of service to you again very soon.

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

A good place to spend the night. Everything was very good. Good location, it is close to the interstate. Check in and out was quick and easy. They have a place to eat, but we didn't use it. It is close to shopping and many place to eat. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
To hear that we have gained a loyal customer in you is indeed heart-warming. Thank you for staying with us, and sharing your wonderful experience to us. It brings us great joy that we have successfully shown you how dedicated we are into serving you. Your positive feedback regarding our convenient location, and our reliable staff is indeed inspiring. Thank you for expressing interest in staying with us on your next visit to Winchester, we couldn’t wait to be of service to you again real soon.
at home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for one night at this Holiday Inn. The staff was friendly and the public areas are welcoming in clean. We had a nice, clean room for a reasonable price. The bed was comfortable and the room was relatively quiet.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
To provide our guests with excellent service is our ultimate goal, and it brings us great joy to know that all our efforts are well appreciated. Thank you for making the effort to review our property and sharing to us your wonderful feedback regarding the cleanliness and the comfortable accommodation as well as the friendly staff and the reasonable price in total. We certainly rely on your reviews to gauge our performance on which areas we need to improve to better meet your needs, as well as to celebrate our success for the hard work we do. We look forward to be of service to you again very soon.
Newfoundland, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had to travel to Winchester for business, and decided to take the family along for a mini vacation. We thought the hotel was great. It was very clean, and the staff was great too! The kids enjoyed the snack area, exercise room, and pool. Breakfast was delicious every day, and the kids ate for free!! Overall it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Our dedication to serve is fuelled by the wonderful feedback our guests openly share to us, thank you for choosing to stay with us and giving us an opportunity to show you the kind of service we are willing to give our valued guests. The appreciation you have for the served breakfast as well as the cleanliness and the great customer service is indeed inspiring and heart-warming. Rest assured that we will always seek to further excel in the delivery of our services. We hope to see you again very soon.
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Holiday staff seemed very friendly and the Hotel itself seems very large and grand for the usual Holiday Inn. prices were reasonable and the Rooms with Clean. location right off I-81 and close to several restuarants. The only downfall i would say is they do not offer a free continental breakfast. They do have a restuarant for breakfast-dinner but the prices are just ok and the food options were limited.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We certainly value the time you took to share to us your wonderful experience, thank you for the sincere appreciation you gave for all the hard work we exerted to give the best service there is to offer. It is truly inspiring to hear that you have noticed the value for the money and the comfort we wish to offer our valued guests. Thank you for the motivation and the inspiration to further excel in the delivery of our services. We couldn’t wait to be of service to you again very soon.
Fletcher, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Needed an overnight location for a road trip in the Winchester area, and decided to try out this Holiday Inn based on the Trip Advisor reviews. I hadn't stayed in a full-service Holiday Inn for a few years (deciding instead on other IHG hotels), since I wasn't impressed with the ones I stayed at. We always prefer to stay somewhere that offers breakfast included, and when looking at the rates for this location the rate for this was only $5 more per night than no breakfast, and that was for 2 people! This location has undergone a total renovation which seems to be the new "look" for Holiday Inn. It's more modern, clean, and clutter-free than before.

We were greeted and taken care of by Debbie in a quick, professional manner. My requests were all taken care of and we got our rooms (2) on a high floor away from the elevator and vending machines. I had read reviews indicating this was a big wedding crowd location, and ran into someone who was with a party on the elevator. It seemed the wedding party rooms were kept on the lower floors, and we didn't have any problems on the 6th floor. The room was very clean, the HVAC worked well. The bathroom also was very clean and properly stocked. I normally don't comment on the TV channel availability in a hotel, since this is of no consequence to me or my family, but I have to mention that the number of stations available at this Holiday Inn was truly impressive! Every channel we would want at home was available here and more. The only negative I have about the room is the number of pillows, as well as the hardness. There were only 4 full-size pillows on a king bed, with one labeled "soft" and one "firm"…no indication on the other two?! I took one of each (I always sleep on 2 pillows), but could not get completely comfortable. I got my 8 hours, but woke up several times to adjust the pillows. Because of this I had to knock one star off the rating. Other than this, everyone had a very restful night.

The next morning we went down for breakfast. Julie was serving this morning and it needs to be said that she is absolutely wonderful! We were told that our included breakfast was not just the buffet, but anything on the menu (Very unusual, and truly a surprise), which included a number of delicious choices. Three of us decided to use the buffet, while my wife ordered the stuffed french toast from the menu. The buffet had standard fare, with eggs/meat/potatoes, breads/muffins, and cereal. All the food was good, hot and tasty. My wife was delighted with the stuffed french toast and said it was also delicious. Julie made sure we had everything we needed, checked back with us to make sure we were happy, and quickly returned with any requests we had for additional items. She made the difference between starting the day on a good or bad note, and should be commended by management. BTW, the buffet alone would have cost $9.95/person if you didn't have breakfast included, so the advance purchase price of $5 makes this an absolute bargain!

The location is very close to I-81, so getting in/out off the interstate is a breeze. There are also many stores near the hotel in a mall, along with other eateries if you wanted to get dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
To give you an excellent hotel experience is indeed our primary goal and to know that we have successfully done so gives us our pride and joy. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for also giving us a detailed feedback. The positive remarks you have shared to us regarding the cleanliness, the customer service and the value for your money inspires us to work even harder, knowing that our efforts are well appreciated by our valued guests. We wish to let you know that your voice means a lot to us, and we sincerely appreciate the effort you made to help us in better serving you. We couldn’t wait to be of service to you again very soon.
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The big issue is that most of these "New Style" Holiday Inn's are all the same in a bad way. The walls are ridiculously thin, and this one is no different. Its not as bad as the one in Fort Wayne Indiana (read that review from last year if you want to be amused lol), but still could hear voices pretty clearly through the walls which is annoying especially if you have some elderly people next door as I did one night. Beyond that the room was comfortable and nicely appointed. I will give them HUGE props to the cable. They have Direct TV which is good except for the night it stormed and we lost picture for like 1-2 hours. They have all the main direct TV channels including Audience, which always has something worth watching on it. For some reason they didn't have BBC America so i couldn't watch Top Gear on Monday, it was like the only channel they didn't have. There were plenty of other channels to amuse me post work day. Another issue that this one differs from other new Holiday Inns is no free or buffet breakfast; not even for Platinum Member like myself. It is a sit down lousy Holiday Inn breakfast, that is way way over priced. I had pancakes and my co-worker had breakfast burrito and the breakfast with tip ran $24 which is outrageous in my book. The dinner however was good and reasonably priced, they have a different special each night and when my co-worked didn't want to go out I ate at the bar. I had ham with real Red-Eye gravy. Very good. The female bartender makes a solid drink and surprisingly; the drinks were fairly inexpensive for a hotel bar. As a side note AVOID at all costs the steak house at the end of the block. Its on the corner where you turn to be on the street the hotel is on. It stunk big time, literally my co-worked got a steak salad and it was just lettuce with 4 pieces of meat on top of it. if i had i picture you would bust a gut on how pedestrian this salad was for 14 bucks! My steak was fatty and poorly cooked. I digress the hotel is just "OK" but as noted the issues are beyond the staffs control who were pleasant. It more of corporate issue.

Room Tip: Good vies from the east side of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Duck0830,

Thank you for being a Platinum IHG Rewards Club member and leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We deeply regret that we were not able to provide you with the highest level of service our elite members deserve.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Your patronage and support to the hotel are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway? Share your experiences!