“clean, comfortable and generally friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 27 hotels in Winchester
Salem, Ohio
“clean, comfortable and generally friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here the 23rd on our way down to the outer banks. We have three small kids (2, 4 & 6) so we didn't want to do the whole trip at once. This place wasn't right off the highway like the other holiday inn, but it was basically just down the street. No biggie. We got there and got checked in very quickly. The woman behind the counter was very sweet and helpful and didn't seemed annoyed with any of my questions. We ate at the restaurant downstairs and it was good. They had yuengling for my husband so he was happy. And we didn't feel out of place in our travel clothes. Also, we got 2 kids meals free b/c the 2 of us ate. I did feel bad for our waitress though b/c I overheard her say that they had her doing the restaurant, the bar and the room service. It did feel like it took awhile for our food (esp with 3 whining hungry toddlers). But she was very sweet and did a good job even though she was a bit overwhelmed. After we were done eating we let the kids swim off their pent-up energy. The pool was actually pretty packed. I'm sure everyone had the same idea we did. Even still the pool didn't feel too crowded to swim. But they did run out of towels. I went out to the desk and the ladies out there were VERY appologetic and immediately put out a ton of new towels. I did wish they'd had a hot tub though. Not sure why they built a brand new hotel and didn't put in a hot tub.
The beds were REALLY comfortable and the room was very clean (and I LOVED the coconut lime lotion). They had all the occupied rooms pretty well spaced out which I appreciated since our 2 yr old was crying when it came time for bed (he didn't want to sleep with his sisters lol). I do wish there was a continental breakfast, though. We saw a buffet of some sort in the hotel restaurant so we thought we'd pay for it if we could get in and get out and back on the road. But they said breakfast wasn't a buffet it was like any other meal (you order and wait for it). So my husband went down the street and got donuts at the gas station at the corner which was fine, but we were hungry again in an hour which we wouldn't have been if there'd been a buffet.
The only person on the staff that we found to be a grouch was the lady at the desk when we were checking out. She simply refused to answer my question the first 5 times I asked. It was to the point that I was about to lose my temper with her but instead I just walked away (sad that I had to be the grown-up). That did put a damper on the trip. Esp b/c of how nice and helpful the ladies were the night before. I'm not sure what her name was but she was an older lady and we checked out just before 8am on Sunday morning. All I was trying to find out was if the hotel room had already been charged to my credit card or if it would be charged that day b/c on the checkout sheet it had that days date but I thought it was supposed to be charged when I booked it the week before. She just would not answer me. She kept talking about our $30 dinner from the night before. Obviously the dinner wasn't already charged last week....since we'd just eaten it 12 hrs ago! I only asked b/c I was using my debit card and I needed to know how much money was still in there for our vacation. It was a simple question that should have been answered in one sentence but became a frustrating 10 minute discussion. All she had to say was "your room was charged last week but your dinner from last night will be charged today". I wouldn't think that would be too difficult but apparantly it was. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and will definitely consider stopping here again next year. You really can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BillKnowles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear 3in4mama,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your stay with us. We take great pride in our hotel and our loyal service to our guests. We appreciate you letting us know areas we succeeded and areas we could improve. The classic phrase, "take care of the customer or somebody else will" is taken very seriously with us.

My apologies it took so long to get service in our restaurant. We plan on staff based on occupancy and we got much busier than we thought, but I am happy to hear that our staff remained positive through it all.

We have actually begun instituting the buffet based on how busy our hotel is expected to be with always offering to order off the menu as an option. We have discovered that many guests such as yourselves like to get on the road, so we have looked at the buffet now.

I am happy to hear you had a comfortable stay in our rooms, we take great strides to make sure it is a comfortable room with the amenities guests love.

With regards to our staff in the morning, we have addressed the issue and although I would love to turn back time on your experience you had I know that is not possible, so I extend our sincere apologies.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Winchester

Regards,

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for a night while driving up to NY. The hotel was clean and modern. The room was spacious! The shower was huge! The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Glory Days Grill down the road was very good! :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
BillKnowles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear Lovestravel10,

I just wanted to follow up and say thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a wonderful comment about our hotel. It is very much appreciated that our guests take the time to let us know that our staff made your stay a memorable experience.

We look forward to hopefully having you stay with us again soon and thank you again for allowing the Holiday Inn Winchester SE Historic Gateway to be your first choice for accommodations when you are in the area.

We are very proud of our facility and our service to our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us.
Irmo, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We were in town for my nephew graduation the staff made the stay very enjoyable. The graduation was 9:00 in the morning when we returned to our room @11>00 it was clean. My grandson wet the bed they assisted me in getting it clean. When ever I called down to ask a question they assisted me with a joy in there voice. I have stayed some places were the staff did not even want to be there so therefore it was taken out on the guest. i recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling in this area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
BillKnowles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear Caleb 36,

Thanks for the great feedback! We appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write a wonderful note about our staff. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed for one night in May 2011 on a trip to New England. I chose the hotel as it was listed at the time as one of the newer hotels in the Winchester area. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the property & room, the quality of the suite for the price, and the friendly attitude of the front desk staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place in Wichester!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Stefernie,

Thanks for staying with us and the great feedback on our hotel and staff. We take great pride in our hotel and making sure all of our guests are welcomed with a smile and have a fresh clean hotel awaiting them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

rogers222
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

They do a nice job at the Winchester Holiday Inn. Service is good, rooms are clean and updated. Folks are friendly. There are some decent chain restaurants nearby. The only clunker is the strange design whereby there are no staircases in the hotel. Even if you're going from the lobby up one or two floors, you have to take the elevator -- seems like stairs were left out of the design. The emergency stairs leave you in the rear parking lot. Aside from this annoyance, the hotel is pretty good.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear rogers222,

Thank you for the great feedback. We take great pride in our hotel and providing the high quality service to all of our guests. As a new prototype hotel designed for more security for guests we understand your viewpoint for stair access to the guest rooms and we do want to provide easy access and security for all of our guests with elevator accommodations.

We look forward to your return visit to Winchester in the near future and once again, thank you for your feedback.

Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband and I are starting a new business and used Holiday Inn as our venue for an event kickoff. We were so impressed with the level of service that we received. We are a small business but were treated like a fortune 500 company. Everything from ideas to generate more business for us to the place settings, to the food display was impeccable. If you are looking for a professional and inviting atmosphere to hold an event or to stay I would recommend Holiday Inn in Winchester, Virginia! Absolutely Fabulous!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Tina, breakfast server, lit up our morning with her sense of humor, professional attitude and great service. We continued our trip home with a smile. Thanks, Tina.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway? Share your experiences!