We stayed here the 23rd on our way down to the outer banks. We have three small kids (2, 4 & 6) so we didn't want to do the whole trip at once. This place wasn't right off the highway like the other holiday inn, but it was basically just down the street. No biggie. We got there and got checked in very quickly. The woman behind the counter was very sweet and helpful and didn't seemed annoyed with any of my questions. We ate at the restaurant downstairs and it was good. They had yuengling for my husband so he was happy. And we didn't feel out of place in our travel clothes. Also, we got 2 kids meals free b/c the 2 of us ate. I did feel bad for our waitress though b/c I overheard her say that they had her doing the restaurant, the bar and the room service. It did feel like it took awhile for our food (esp with 3 whining hungry toddlers). But she was very sweet and did a good job even though she was a bit overwhelmed. After we were done eating we let the kids swim off their pent-up energy. The pool was actually pretty packed. I'm sure everyone had the same idea we did. Even still the pool didn't feel too crowded to swim. But they did run out of towels. I went out to the desk and the ladies out there were VERY appologetic and immediately put out a ton of new towels. I did wish they'd had a hot tub though. Not sure why they built a brand new hotel and didn't put in a hot tub.
The beds were REALLY comfortable and the room was very clean (and I LOVED the coconut lime lotion). They had all the occupied rooms pretty well spaced out which I appreciated since our 2 yr old was crying when it came time for bed (he didn't want to sleep with his sisters lol). I do wish there was a continental breakfast, though. We saw a buffet of some sort in the hotel restaurant so we thought we'd pay for it if we could get in and get out and back on the road. But they said breakfast wasn't a buffet it was like any other meal (you order and wait for it). So my husband went down the street and got donuts at the gas station at the corner which was fine, but we were hungry again in an hour which we wouldn't have been if there'd been a buffet.
The only person on the staff that we found to be a grouch was the lady at the desk when we were checking out. She simply refused to answer my question the first 5 times I asked. It was to the point that I was about to lose my temper with her but instead I just walked away (sad that I had to be the grown-up). That did put a damper on the trip. Esp b/c of how nice and helpful the ladies were the night before. I'm not sure what her name was but she was an older lady and we checked out just before 8am on Sunday morning. All I was trying to find out was if the hotel room had already been charged to my credit card or if it would be charged that day b/c on the checkout sheet it had that days date but I thought it was supposed to be charged when I booked it the week before. She just would not answer me. She kept talking about our $30 dinner from the night before. Obviously the dinner wasn't already charged last week....since we'd just eaten it 12 hrs ago! I only asked b/c I was using my debit card and I needed to know how much money was still in there for our vacation. It was a simple question that should have been answered in one sentence but became a frustrating 10 minute discussion. All she had to say was "your room was charged last week but your dinner from last night will be charged today". I wouldn't think that would be too difficult but apparantly it was. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and will definitely consider stopping here again next year. You really can't beat it for the price.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Se Historic Gateway Hotel Winchester
- Holiday Inn Se Historic Gateway Hotel
- Holiday Inn Winchester
- Winchester Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the newest hotel in Virginia's famed Shenandoah Valley. Holiday Inn Historic Gateway, located just off I-8 in the heart of Winchester, VA, is close to the area's historic sites and modern corporations. Our Winchester hotel understands the needs of the business traveler so we offer high-speed, wireless Internet access, a 24-hour business center and excellent meeting facilities. Our hotel is minutes from Shenandoah University, Trex, American Woodmark, Kraft, HP Hood and Rubbermaid. Leisure travelers appreciate our hotel's Winchester, VA location because it allows them to easily visit the Valley's top attractions such as Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive. With a central location for Civil War sites, museums, wineries, and golf courses, we're the ideal choice of hotel in the Shenandoah Valley.Our hotel amenities make your stay a terrific experience. There's an indoor pool with an outdoor sundeck, a well-equipped fitness center and a 24-hour convenience store for snacks and sundries. You can dine on American cuisine at Kem's Restaurant & Bar. We'll be happy to create a golf package for you to play your choice of nearby courses like Rock Harbor or Virginia National. Our professional and courteous staff welcomes you with Southern hospitality and a warm smile. You can relax when you stay at our Holiday Inn Historic Gateway hotel in Winchester, VA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.