“A Farce, am I in Vegas? Is this the Excalibur? Arthur? Merlin?” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5810 Wessex Hundred, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Farce, am I in Vegas? Is this the Excalibur? Arthur? Merlin?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Cheese. Pure cheese. The owners lived in Europe 10 years? Ha. Where? Epcot Center? I was born in Europe, lived there many years, traveled there extensively, have relatives who own REAL castles and use them as chambres d'hotes. Save yourselves the posturing, this is great for the folks who like renaissance festivals, but there is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, European about this place.

I don't know anything about the history of this place other than it is 4 years old. But I'm going to venture a guess. Owners of Williamsburg Winery make a lot of money off of low quality wine to tourists who, imbued with sophistication from part of America's history they scarcely know better than when they first arrived, spend tons of money on the overpriced wine, most of which is likely produced from shipped-in must. As they see all this money they are raking in from said tourists, they think, we have a pile of money and we are sophisticated from having lived in Europe, let's open a hotel that looks like Excalibur and a restaurant, cuz "you know" all those hotels and restaurants in town are making a killing, we should get a piece too. Do you know anything about hotels? No. Do you know anything about restaurants? No. Do you know anything about winemaking? No. Cool. You're in cheesy Williamsburg, you'll be okay.

The room was ugly as sin, the doors paper thin, the bathroom had the oddest layout that half the obese people I see around Williamsburg could never fit into, the decor was cheesy and sloppy. They have a fireplace in the room, but no indication on how one might have it lit. Also, the staff is nice, but seems a bit confused on how to act, they know they are from Hampton Roads so sophistication is fundamentally lacking, but then they are "European" so some of them think they have to speak with an accent, it's kind of sad really, like watching circus elephants do tricks, you know they're not really designed to do that and just want to be chilling in the woods eating peanuts. But the biggest sin in my opinion is the fact that Small Luxury Hotels of the World has accepted this place into the fold. Gives me serious doubts on their good judgement.

I stayed here for $165 mid-week in the winter, next night I stayed at Clifton Inn for $159. Great contrast. The Wedmore fails miserably. A sad, touristy joke. Some people talked about good deals on SniqueAway, I hope they are under $100 a night.

Now the positives - the bed was reasonably comfortable, they serve Harney & Sons tea at breakfast, the portions were copious for breakfast and despite previous reviews, the croissants are AMAZING. Yes, amazing, and I should know. So unless they ran out some time in the past and had to serve up some from the Piggly Wiggly, I would say the previous reviewers didn't know what a good croissant is. Also, the exterior is very well done, as is the inner courtyard, THAT does look European, the pool area also looks good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
kduffeler, General Manager at Wedmore Place, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
As part of the family that created and manages Wedmore Place we always welcome comments, critical and constructive, as we see these as the best input for us to improve our operation. We recognize that we cannot please everyone, but we were both amused and somewhat distressed by the comments of "OSU sux". Our hotel features antiques collected from France, Italy, Spain, Germany, and Scandinavia . Of the family members involved in Wedmore, one is a naturalized US citizen (Belgian by birth) and one is a French citizen who spent many years participating in the management of an upscale hotel in Paris. Another, although a US citizen, was born in Switzerland and grew up overseas. Together the family has spent over 100 years resident in Europe. That this visitor found Wedmore Place to be unauthentic is a mystery to us.

Still, we are pleased that "OSU sux" found things to compliment about other aspects of his stay, including the niceness of our staff, comfort of our beds, the quality of our food and the authenticity of the croissants.

Regarding the disparaging remarks about the Williamsburg Winery's wines, again we accept his view but will point out that more qualified experts disagree. This year Decanter magazine awarded 5 medals to the Winery (of 10,000 entrants, only 400 medals were awarded) and Kevin Zraly, America's foremost wine educator, has ranked their wines among the world's best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Ledgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Wedmore at the Williamsburg Winery was one of the most unique and beautifully decorated hotels I have stayed in. I hesitate to call it a hotel, because it was so much more. My room, the Tuscany, was magnificently decorated like the South of France, with shades of blue and yellow, filled with antiques, a comfortable and roomy bed and all the amenities you would expect at a 5-star resort, i.e., a jacuzzi tub, a fireplace, TV and a welcome kit which included cookies, candy and water. My breakfast at the Cafe was delightful and delicious and the service top notch. I treated myself to a massage, among the best I have ever had. I will definitely return to this magical place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed here with my family for our 1 year wedding anniversary and occupied 8 rooms. We had such a fabulous time which was made by the fantastic, personable, and warm staff on a daily basis. Cafe Provencal is to die for along with great lunches at the Tavern. Such a unique escape, I cannot believe the place was not totally full with what they offer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Exton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Our trip started off during the first snow storm of the winter..lucky us. A trip that would normally take 5 hours ended up taking 10.5. We had dinner reservations at one of the taverns and had to cancel. When we called the hotel to say we would be checking in late, the hotel had no problem, and even asked us if we would like to make the latest reservations available at the hotel's cafe. We were sure that we would be there in time (yeah, right!), so we said yes and continued, slowly, to the hotel.

I forgot to mention that we booked this hotel at a steep discounted price, through SniqueAway.com. My experience with the site and the hotel were fine booking through a discount site.

Needless to say, the traffic was worse than we thought. We missed our dinner reservations at Wedmore by about an hour. We arrived, checked in, and were told that they were keeping our reservation at the cafe, and to go down once we settled in. They had kept things up and running for us down there! We had a DELICIOUS meal. Of course, we ordered a bottle of wine, crab cakes, rib eye special, and a warm apple dessert. The chef also gave us a sample of his new creation - chestnut ice cream. Sounds weird, but it was awesome. Tasted like Christmas on a spoon. The waiter was super nice, and was very accommodating (since we were there late).

After dinner we went back up to the room. It was a huge room. We got the Burgundy Room. It was spacious, well appointed, and so clean. The baby was able to crawl and play on the floor...there was that much space...and it was that clean. There was a king sized bed, two sitting chairs, a sofa, desk, antique armoire, and a few other wood antiques in the room. The bathroom was also very large, had a tub with sliding glass doors and a window up high. The ceiling was also super high in the room, which gave the room that much more of an airy feeling.

The staff was great - friendly and always asking how we were doing. I think they were surprised that we brought a baby with us...but were happy about it...commenting that they don't get many babies in the hotel, and that they were glad to see one trying to walk about.

We would most likely stay at this hotel on another occasion, and we will definitely be staying there if the hotel comes back and offers a deal on SniqueAway again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Hertfordshire England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Cannot fault the hotel as such but just no atmosphere. Also make sure bill queries are resolved before you leave as on our experience the hotel simply ignores e mails once you leave.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Relaxing atmosphere, made more so by the entire staff who could not do enough for guests. Small things, like free bottled water in the room, free internet, free continental buffet made us feel appreciated for our stay. An amazing surprise was the in-house restaurant, Cafe Provencal - incredible meal that would probably bring us 3 hrs from Annapolis just to eat here. Chef Tim gave us sophisticated menu that provided delicious generous portions. Would definitely stay here again, and hopt to be back soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Underwood, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We booked our trip to Wedmore Place through SniqueAway and were very excited based on the pictures and descriptions provided by its service. The trip turned out to be the worst travel experience any of us had experienced.

We liked the secluded location. However, we did expect that such a large acreage would have included landscaping, walking paths, gardens, etc. There were none. Also, there were no flowers inside, either in the rooms or in the lobby. The atmosphere was less than welcoming.

We did not experience the type of customer service one normally receives in a small, luxury hotel. Other than a fantastic staff member named Charles, we felt fairly ignored by the staff. The hotel had relatively few guests so perhaps that is why newspapers were not available, the fitness center was not lighted, and the continental breakfast was so sparce until 2 days inside of our stay. Nobody ever asked if we were happy with our rooms, if we needed anything, etc. The welcome card in our room was addressed to my husband and GUEST. Frankly, everything went downhill from that point.

At the suggestion of a staff member in an email correspondence, I forwarded a list of our preferences of Superior rooms. Of the 5 choices, I received #5; my father received #3. Our room, Castilla, was dark, stark and very masculine. We had a lovely view of a bay of airconditioners that roused me most morning around 6:30 AM. There was no place to sit comfortably to read or relax (2 straight back chairs). The bathroom door had a knocker on it---clang when it opened and clang when it shut. I hated it. I actually went outside on three separate occasions to cry! My father's room, Burgundy, was much lighter and better appointed. He was happy, but he felt the pricing was still too high. We all agreed that the bedding was fantastic.

The cafe offered upscale cuisine for dinner and had a nice menu.

There is a lovely, comfortable library. Make sure you ask where it is; nobody volunteered that information. There is a nice selection of books from modern fiction to history and nonfiction selections.

I believe I was being charitable to give 3 ratings on service and rooms. I would not recommend this hotel to any traveler who intends the hotel to be his/her destination point. This is a fairly new venture; perhaps with time and more attention to details it will improve.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wedmore Place? Share your experiences!