“Very nice.... (with a few exceptions)” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Very nice.... (with a few exceptions)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

For starters, overall this entire property is absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. Lots of neat little touches are seen everywhere--- from the hallway decorations to the layouts of the room. Let's start with the amazing stuff:

1. Ryan on the front desk. Whatever it was we needed, he brought us-- from realizing we forgot toothpaste to fixing the television when we couldn't get the NFL playoff games tuned.

2. Leah in Cafe Provencal. We had a package that included dinner and she made our dinner feel so specialized and such a personal celebration of our wedding the night before and it was much appreciated. The food was absolutely delicious, perfect temperatures, and gloriously fresh.

3. The complimentary breakfasts had platter after platter of fresh fruit and berries. A wide selection of juices and yogurts, fresh breads and croissants, along with spectacular quiches. And coffee. Lots and lots of hot coffee!

4. (Not part of the hotel, per se, but it was part of our package) but Tom gave us a reserve wine tour at the winery and he was knowledgeable, friendly, and thorough in teaching us about wine. We learned a lot, expanded our palates, and had a really great time.

5. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Thick towels, fluffy robes, down bedding, and the quaintest wood floors and decorations. The bathroom was modern without seeming out of place with the room with a large 2 person bathtub/shower.

However, there were a few hiccups.

1. We arrived on Friday night (for our HONEYMOON, let me reiterate this, we had just gotten married ourselves) and immediately heard about the large wedding the hotel was having on Saturday. The "large wedding" became the theme of why things were or were not a certain way for the entire stay. I would have much preferred a little more personalized service. I think we heard about this large wedding in every setting we were in for the entire stay.

2. If you're an early to bed type- I'd recommend booking for a 2nd floor room. And to be kind to those of us who do go to bed before 10pm then please, STAY on the FIRST floor if you are a late to bed type. The first night the room above us wasn't occupied and we slept soundly. The following night the room above us was clearly having a party, and those quaint creaky wood floors immediately became a nightmare for us trying to sleep underneath that room. They stayed up until after 4am and then got back up at 7:30am which meant, unfortunately, we did too.

3. We stayed in room 11. I mention this because the water doesn't get hot enough for a bath. It is as if the dial isn't set properly on the wall as even on the hottest setting it still clearly had cold water coming in and you couldn't get the water to the proper temperature for a bath. We did mention this to the front desk clerk on checkout so hopefully they've looked at this by now.

4. Our couples massage. Again, not exactly part of the hotel but it was part of our package they sold us. One of the therapists was late, by almost 15 minutes, and our massage was cut short by 15 minutes. I wondered why we wouldn't have been extended until we walked out and saw that the next couple (part of the large wedding) were sitting and waiting.

5. Newspapers. There was only one for the whole hotel, left by the front desk at the coffee station. It wasn't like there is another place to buy a paper on the property so it just would have been nice to have been able to take the newspaper and work the puzzles like we enjoy in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if you go to bed early... the wood floors will keep you awake if you're...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We recently visited the Wedmore Place with friends this past weekend. We stayed in the Provence room which is way prettier in person. The online pictures just dont do it justice. We also had a fire started for us in our room which was great! I loved the bed in this room. It was so comfortable! We did the wine tour at the winery during the day and stayed Saturday night. We upgraded our wine tour to the Reserve and had Mark Frankel. What a great time! We enjoyed the wines- way better than expected! We enjoyed being by ourselves and not having to do the tour with a large group of people whom we didnt know. We also noticed that in these large groups that their were some unruly children who were screaming making it hard for others to hear the guide and to able to enjoy themselves. That tour also is just like the Williamsburg whites and blush which is not really my taste. We went to dinner at the restuarant at the hotel and were suppossed to do a taste pairing, but something got messed up with the hotel staff and the restaurant. It was ok because the food was still wonderful! The breakfast was also amazing! The quiche was sooo good with breakfast. Just loved it! The vegetable quiche and the croissants! YUM! I had the filet at dinner and the scallops for an appetizer and I thought they were by far phenominal! I will be back for a nice relaxing weekend!

Room Tip: I enjoyed our room the Provence. Way prettier in person than in the pictures!
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hints and tips:
1. Make reservations for dinner and wine tasting.
2. If the fireplace thing is attractive to you, go during the colder months. They only light the fires if it's below 50F degrees and before 9pm. You also have to be in the room for the lighting and for 1.5 hours after it's lit. If you are sensitive to the wood burning smell and don't like it, ask for a room where they rarely, if ever, light fires. I heard someone complaining and Heather explained this to them.
3. Do the reserve wine tasting.
4. Ask and they will try to accommodate (reduced rates, free upgrade in room, food to the room, take wine from dinner back to the room, etc.)
5. Take a cooler with favorite drinks and snacks. You'll be glad you did.
6. Enjoy. Relax. Be pampered.

I can see why so many wrote in the room's guest book that they got engaged during their stay, honeymooned, spent pre/post deployment there, or simply wanted to get away for a romantic and nice weekend.

Hotel:
My wife and I stayed here with another couple 1/4/13-1/6/13. Weather was nice but cool. In making the reservations Ryan and Heather were more than accommodating, as we made several changes to our reservations before our stay. Both of them were extremely polite and attentive, ensuring our stay would meet our needs and that we were well taken care of. I asked Heather to pick out one of her favorite rooms for my wife's birthday and she chose the Provence (sp?) superior room. The room was decorated in a French country style. It was large, well designed/decorated and is one of the nicest rooms we've stayed in all of our travels. The fireplace was lit by Ryan before and after our dinner, which creates a very nice atmosphere/ambiance. Bed was amazing and we slept well. The hotel itself is new (2007) but has an old feel and design to it. Very reminiscent of our travels to Europe, but only 45 minutes up the road. The property is well groomed and the food served on site is excellent. Dinner at Cafe Provencial was a bit pricey, but worth every penny. Make reservations if going on a weekend night, as it was busy with what appeared to be "locals" enjoying a nice night out. The breakfast is way better than a simple continental breakfast at a motel. The ladies at breakfast were also accommodating and very kind. They helped me arrange a tray of delicious quiche, fruit, and croissants for breakfast in bed for my wife. The hotel was not busy this weekend, but was booked solid the following weekend (1/11-1/13) for a wedding. I believe it would be a beautiful site for a wedding/reception. We were told they do about 60 weddings a year.

Winery
I'll repost this in the actual winery tripadvisor site, but wanted to include here as they are essentially all one "resort." Hint: do the reserve wine tasting if budget and time allow. It takes longer but you get a more personal tour, taste better wines, and provided with cheese/crackers/bread in the wine cellar. You also get a nice wine glass. Several tours passed by us during the tasting and we heard a couple of times "How'd they get to do that? and We should have done that one." Mark was an excellent tour guide and very knowledgeable. He is a volunteer that is a silversmith by trade. He was not pushy, did not try to sell us any wine, and was not "uppity" in any way. I recommend tipping if you go on this tasting, especially if you enjoyed the experience. We tipped a little over 20%, $40 for 4 people. It's not required but if anyone deserves a tip, it was Mark. We've had the regular wines from WW, but the reserved and nicer bottles are heads above and taste much better. It was definitely worth the extra $16 per person. I believe you get a discount if you're staying at the hotel, not sure though. It will not hurt to ask. We were very lucky that 6 people did not show for our tour, so we received a private and personal tour. They have a gift shop to purchase wine and other items. Seemed to be decently priced.

Tavern:
We just had a bowl of soup for an early lunch, but the menu looked delicious and they had several wines/beers to choose from. No sodas other than some fancy lemonades and such. They do not serve Coke/Pepsi products any where on site. That was ok with us, we brought our own. The wife is a Coke Zero junkie...

Williamsburg:
3 miles away. Very easy and convenient to get to. Cab it if you've had too much vino.

Sum It All Up:
Excellent stay. Excellent staff. Excellent place to get away. Will be back next year. I would bet that Sept-Oct is a great time to stay here (grapes/leaves on the vines, weather is nice, etc.).

Room Tip: Ask for tips/suggestions from the front desk when making a reservation. Use AAA to get a reduced rat...
Mechanicsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Beautiful room, very clean. It was more spacious than I anticipated and well laid out. It gives the feel of a Bed and Breakfast more than a hotel. Staff was very friendly and seemed to go out of their way to make you feel at home. It was quiet and peaceful and made for a very relaxing atmosphere. Cafe Provencal, the hotel's restaraunt was top notch. The continental breakfast served was above what you normally receive at other hotels and was delicious. Dinner was also exceptional, and I would definitely recommend it. I would also encourage anyone visiting to take a tour of the winery, it was informative and included a wine tasting at the end. Overall the stay was well worth the price paid.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Normally we stay at the Williamsburg Inn when we visit. We made a last minute decision to visit Williamsburg during the Christmas holidays and the Inn was completely booked. We booked a superior double room at the Wedmore and found it to be large, comfortably furnished (complete with fireplace) and absolutely immaculate. It is located outside the historic area but is still convenient. The building reminded me of a european country house. The setting was quiet and restful. The staff was friendly and attempted to please and accomodate. The hotel provides very limited services. There is no porter service and limited room service. If you are looking for a full service hotel with an attentive staff, I would stay at the Inn. They have an excellent on site restaurant and offer a tour of the Williamsburg Winery.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Somehow reservations weren't made for our Asheville Video crew on a busy weekend and we needed help with an unplanned production meeting. A single phone call to the front desk fixed it all in less than a minute. No 'let me check' or 'I'll see what I can do', but 'Done!' followed by the details. Simply terrific.
The hotel looks like a fort from the 1700's. Sort of cool in a way. And, the rooms (Superior Class) were nice enough and big enough to get office work done without feeling cramped or crowded. Parking was a snap, even for our box truck.
What I didn't like was the hardwood floors. I am into thick carpet, not cold, hard, surfaces under my feet.
Overall, Wedmore is a winner.

Room Tip: Bring slippers. The wood floors are cold in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Red Hook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Beautiful room- clean, simple, and unbelievably comfortable. Stayed in a traditional room on top floor- room was bigger than the website pictures would have you believe. Also, didn't have any issues with cleanliness in my room, as another user's pictures would imply. Huge fireplace that I didn't take advantage of, but seriously- who offers in-room fireplaces?! Awesome. Can only imagine what the place is like on a snowy day. Stayed Monday and Tuesday when noise was not an issue, but I could imagine noisy guests might present a problem given the wood floors and what not.

Hotel is way down a private road, so you won't hear a single car your entire stay. Less than two miles from historic Williamsburg, only one intersection to get there.

But most importantly, and the reason for writing a review- staff was hands down the best I've ever encountered. All were friendly on a sincere level- not the contrived hospitality most upscale restaurants provide. I'm only 25, usually show up with a backpack, and 95% of the time I get utterly demeaning attitudes from reception at any luxury hotel. Good to see there's still a hotel that doesn't stereotype their guests. Note, though, I'm a very easy going guy that doesn't ask for anything, not a high maintenance nightmare like some guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wedmore Place? Share your experiences!