“Issues, but still great” 4 of 5 stars

Wedmore Place
5810 Wessex Hundred, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #7 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Whippany, New Jersey
“Issues, but still great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I can't say enough about the people at reception. They were great, and responded appropriately when I had a large bug in my room (they changed my room immediately) which is apparently common in Virginia (a stink-bug?) Perhaps it came down the fireplace, they offered? (Which it was too warm to have working during my visit). But I understand how things can happen, and would stay here again without any qualms, even though:

It was 70 degrees outside (in December!) and I couldn't have a fire OR turn the heat entirely off. The windows don't open. It made me wonder what the rooms feel like when you ARE able to have a fire and can't temper it with a bit of outside airflow?

Other reviewers have complained about the smell of firewood in the rooms. This "smell" is almost a bonus to me. I would expect no less from a place that offers wood-burning fires in every room, and I would suggest that people research an establishment before booking here, as I did. I was hoping for just that experience.

The restaurant associated with this facility is not to be missed. Cafe Provencal is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in, and I have lived in the New York City area for 46 years. Chef Tim is awesome. I will stay here again, although many other comparable inns and hotels are available, but he is only here! Don't miss Wedmore Place, especially if you are a "foodie".

Room Tip: Beds a little soft for people with back problems. Probably throughout from reviews read and from my...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Windsor, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I were very excited about trying a new place in W-Burg, as we frequent the W-Burg lodge on our 3-4 visits a year. We placed our reservation after looking at all the very nicely furnished rooms from the Wedmore website. Upon arrival we were told our choice wasn't possible as the another guest extended their stay. We were fine with that.. things happen. So we accepted another comparable room a few doors down. After inspection of the room we did find the shower curtain to be very old with a red mold line at the bottom with hairs attached. My family and I were heading out so at the front desk we requested at that the curtain be changed. I wasn't out of the lobby when the front desk was already on the phone with housekeeping... 'cool I thought'.problem sovled. We returned later that night to the same shower curtain. I was tired from a long day but found myself standing in the tub removing the curtains myself to take to the front desk for fresh ones. My wife took them to the front desk and was informed we were being upgraded to another room..'cool I thought'..problem solved. Room #2 "Provence" was larger. Upon inspection we found hair and dirt on the tile portions of the floor, serious cracks in the drywall and yet another filthy area of the bathroom. Again, dirt, hair and mold spots around the air vent. I did include pictures of the cracks and filthy vent. I was just to tired to complain thinking 'I doubt the next room would be any cleaner'. There is not much for children here not even a TV channel for them, but if you only speak German you are in luck, there is a German only channel. The beds were too soft for my taste, my wife was fine with them. There was a constant banging all night, not loud but just enough to be annoying, from water pipes I suppose. We only had breakfast in the cafe, food selection was sparce but what was there was very good. I myself did the wine tour which was informative and fun. My wife and I agree everyone here was very nice and hospitable. The rooms we visited need cosmetic upkeep and housekeeping needs to do a much better job. I'm not sure if we will return, we liked the Wedmore "European manor house" style. We choose nice places like this to stay so we don't have to deal with cleanliness issues and when we do its disappointing...

Room Tip: Room choices made at reservation are not gaurenteed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cedar Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I took my wife here during a weekend trip to Colonial Williamsburg and really loved the hotel. The staff are extremely courteous. We wanted to try the hotel's cafe for dinner, but we didn't make reservations and were on a tight schedule. As soon as we walked off of the elevator, we could smell the mouthwatering aroma of the food--we plan on making another trip just to try the food. The hotel owner offered a complimentary glass of wine while we walked around exploring the hotel. He and his wife are EXTREMELY friendly and helpful.

We were told when we arrived at the hotel that the croissants were flown in from France. I guess I'm a skeptical person and didn't think they would be that great--but they were. They had the freshest fruit available and delicious quiches for breakfast.

My wife and I loved this trip. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Any room will be amazing.
Potomac, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We recently spent a night at Wedmore Place and just driving in down the long road, surrounded by vineyards, we were instantly transported to something like out of a movie. You do NOT feel like you are in VA or any other commercial kind of place that you may be used to! You feel like you are driving up to a castle or a structure from another time and place - in a good way.

The lobby is charming and understated and almost old-fashioned - a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of places you may have been before. We stayed in the Normandy room, which I highly recommend. The slanted ceilings and old-school style was elegant and clean. The bed was the most comfortable i've stayed in anywhere - including the linens and pillow!

The stay came with a free wine tasting for two at the Winery right on site and was a great way to start the weekend. Though I was surprised the last tasting on a Friday is at 4:30pm so beware to make it! I am surprised they end so early on a Friday night. At any rate, the woman running the tasting makes it so fun and interesting - she was great.

The room also comes with a continental breakfast - delicious coffee and fresh croissants. Only wish it was delivered to your room, but i can't complain since it was just a quick elevator ride down!

If i have one complaint it's that noise from the hall travels through to the room, like people in the early morning knocking or talking as they head to breakfast, but what can you do? The walls of this old building are probably thin. If you are a really light sleeper, maybe ask for a room at the end of the hall.

I highly recommend this inn and cannot wait to go back. It would be great for a special event or party, too. This is a hidden treasure!

Room Tip: Photos of each room are on the Wedmore website. All look great!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent a weekend here for a wedding and it exceeded our expectations. We felt so welcome and relaxed it was like staying at the home of a good friend. The rooms are all unique and extremely comfortable. Our friends stayed in the big suite and even hosted a little cocktail party in the room. This place is truly a wonderful, luxurious getaway.

Room Tip: Every room we saw was just as they describe on their website. Stay away from the big suite if you c...
Mays Landing, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I had the opportunity to spend an overnight at the Wedmore Place. We both thought it was wonderful. Everyone was very friendly and attentive.The room was great...very comfy bed.We can't say enough about our dinner at the Cafe Provencal. It was delicious and the service was excellent. My husband had the filet mignon dish and I had one of the evening specials which was rockfish. We would highly recommend either.
Unfortunately, due to our time restraints, we were unable to take advantage of the winery tour. It will give us the excuse to come back again for a longer stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Super friendly people. Rooms were nice. Loved location. Really enjoyed our stay. The food was the best ever. The winery tour was amazing. We are new to drinking wine so it was informative to say the least. Our massages were so relaxing. The ladies were educational and we enjoyed the conversation with them.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Wedmore Place? Share your experiences!