“Good clean functional modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 Bypass Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
London, England
“Good clean functional modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

This is a very modern hotel.
Not much character, but functional and within easy reach of colonial Williamsburg.
I had a suite which was very comfortable and the housekeeping was off a high standard.
The restaurant was adequate, not a particularly exciting choice and when I was there, there were very few staff who a few times seemed to be struggling to keep up so there were some delays.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We never had such a great experience: staff was VERY helpful. Our room was upgrated in a nice and big suite. The pool and spa were great after a day travelling through the country. The food at the restaurant was awsome. We enjoyed this hotel very much. Thanks to the staff!!! We definitely would recommend this hotel to all travelers/tourists.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

From the minute you walk into this hotel you feel welcome. The staff at the front desk are gracious and courteous. They upgraded our reservation to a suite which was so nice! My children were SO excited!!

I always bring cleaning supplies so I can make things the way I prefer them to be for my children. When we entered the room I was so surprised! The bathroom was VERY clean, the beds were VERY clean, the floors and bed comforters were VERY clean. I didn't have to clean a thing! It was so nice to finally stay at a hotel that was perfect from the start! The room was spotless!

We had booked 4 days at this location, but liked it so much we booked an additional night. The restaurant was fantastic with great service. The kids eat free, how can you beat that! We did laundry several times and the laundry room is clean and convenient. The pool was well kept and open till 11 pm which is nice after a busy day!

One of the best things about this hotel is that you are greeted each time you leave or return. The staff are quick and kind which is hard to find. I just cant say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay! We will always stay here when in the area.

This hotel made our vacation relaxing and enjoyable! Thank you Holiday Inn!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Mass USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic Gateway
We are currently staying at the Holiday Inn Historic Gateway. Since our arrival we have been treated with excellent customer service by all the hotel staff. The location is minutes from Colonial Williamsburg. Just a short drive on the beautiful colonial parkway is Jamestown and Yorktown. Every request that we have had has been met and exceeded our expectations. We have the two bedroom suite which could add a couple of things such as a clock in the main room, and some type of paper goods/utensils since there is a table for four in the room. The only problem I did have it that there are no benches outside of the entrance to sit on . I mentioned it to David who told me they had a bench but it was being put together and would be ready in a day or so. To my amazement about an hour later while I am in the lobby on the phone out come David and another staff person with a brand new bench. I felt so special! I had the honor of being the first person to sit on the new bench. David came out and we had a picture taken to remember our special moment. It is now called " Ann's Bench" Tomorrow I am going to request a pink diamond and see if David can work his magic again. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to my friends/family.

• Stayed June 2009
GM515, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, June 13, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. David and the rest of our staff strive to please each and every guest at our hotel and I am pleased that we were able to do this for you.

Thank you and we hope to see you again!

CAPITOL CITY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

at first glance one is lulled into a false sense of security and then it happens- reality!!!
the staff have obviously been trained to smile at all costs and sacrifice accuracy....unfortunately we encountered mistakes with each and every "friendly" desk clerk...It would have been nice if when a guest makes a request, it actually gets passed along to the appropriate staff member for follow-up/accuracy....Then, when you point out that they made a mistake, mgmt. gets rude and becomes a little condescending....it seems they are "all fluff" as another trip advisor member stated...They want to obviously maintain their No. 1 rating.. So they reluctantly try to bribe your good comments.....At this rate, it seems they seriously need to re-vamp their accuracy , as well as approach....Most travelers are not stupid and can see through their rouse.....
The good: LOCATION=AWESOME
CLEANLINESS= AWFUL, CRUMBS EVERYWHERE, STAINS ALL OVER THE BEDSPREADS, AND SEAT CUSHIONS- YUCK!!!!
POOL= LOUD, SMALL, DON'T BOTHER HOTTUB= WAY TOO SMALL (2PEOPLE MAX) FOOD= HEAVY CHEESE AND LARD FOR BREAKFAST, LOTS OF VELVEETA- AWFUL FOOD!!!
overall, probably would not stay here again.....too many other choices where the staff doesn't feel the need to argue with the guests every minute.....for this alone, they should be ashamed of themselves in the hospitality business.....Thank goodness they are not in the medical profession with ALL their mistakes.....GO ELSEWHERE!!! - PEACE.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel - feed back from our guests both good and bad is always welcome as it only helps us to improve our operations. I would like to inquire further as to your concerns during your stay so that we may fine tune our operations. All of our breakfast food is made to order and I can assure you that we do not use any of the products you have mentioned in our kitchen - and anyone is welcome to take a tour through our facility. Please contact me direcly at your leisure so that we may discuss the rest of your stay and ensure a satisfactory resolution for you.

Regards,

Northern VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

This is a response to Ravi Patel and an update to the original review for clarification purposes. Why would you put an auction winner in a limited room meant for guest's that need a handicap accessible room. We were to able bodied adults and 2 able bodied children. There really is no excuse for the way we were treated by your staff and your response is full of fluff with both empty and meaningless apologies. I have won priceline auctions at other locations in the country and all though I never expect it, I have been treated like any other priority club member. Never earning points for the visits but being treated like any other paying customer. All I wanted was a pleasant nights sleep for myself and the family I was traveling with. I did not receive that and the follow up response from managment was both hallow and insulting. You are further showing that you don't care. Atleast it makes others aware that they will be treated well only if they pay the full rate through Holiday Inn's website. If you purchase stay any other way, apparently it is a completely different experience. Thanks for letting me know that you do discriminate against your guests.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and found the room, staff and amenities to be very nice. We booked a 2 bedroom suite and it was very roomy and well equipped. We had one bedroom with a king bed, a bedroom with two queen beds and two full bathrooms. We had a handicapped accessible suite, because that was all that was available in a 2 bedroom. The living area had a sofa that would have made out into a bed, if you needed to accommodate more people. There was also a refrigerator and a microwave and a dining table with four chairs. There was more than enough room for the three of us. Everything was very clean and new and worked well. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My daughter and I used the hot tub and indoor pool one evening and, while the hot tub was pretty small, it was very deep and really hot. The indoor pool was at a good swimming temperature. The exercise room overlooks the pool area, but we did not use any of the equipment.

The hotel is well located and is close to plenty of choices for eating and shopping. It is also convenient to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Overall I think this is a great hotel, especially if you need a 2 bedroom option, which is sometimes hard to find. We booked through the Holiday Inn website but had to call to get a special discount that was shown in the upper corner on the website, as it did not show up in the online prices. We were able to get the discount for two of the three nights. I think it was not available for the Friday night we stayed because it was the start of the Memorial Day weekend.

The wireless internet was free and fast and I had no trouble connecting. I believe they also have a business center, but we did not use it. The only negative I would mention is that they only have very small plastic cups in the rooms and bathrooms. The paper coffee cups were fine, but the tiny plastic cups were only really good for the bathroom. This is a small enough complaint, but a couple of glasses would have been nice for the living/dining area. The towels in the bathrooms were very nice. They were large and soft and the water pressure in the shower was very good. Overall, we were very happy with our stay and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone going to Williamsburg,

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
GM515, Ravi Patel at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, June 13, 2009
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel - I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Thank you!

Ravi Patel

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway? Share your experiences!