“Lived Up To It's Glowing Reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 Bypass Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new jersey
“Lived Up To It's Glowing Reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Everything about this hotel was perfect. Easy to find,convenient to every place we needed to go. Lots of parking. Upon checking in Katie at the front desk was super. As priority club members we received fresh cookies and an up grade to a 2 room suite. Traveling with my sister this was nice so I didn't have to hear her snore! The hotel is very new and nicely decorated. Being tired we opted to stay in for dinner. The bar was having a 1/2 price appetizers happy hour. This proved to be a good option we each had an appetizer (large portions) I had a beer and she had dessert . The bill was reasonable and the food was tasty. The restaurant staff were also top notch. All in all a very fine hotel at a price less than that of some so called bargain ones.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass your comment about our employee Katie on to her. She will really appreciate hearing that she did a great job. We strive as a hotel to provide all of our guests with a great place to stay. Thank you for allowing us to accommodate you.

We appreciate your time. We hope that you will stay with us again, on future visits to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

this is a good clean comfortable hotel in a good location to explore the wonderfully historic williamsburg area, we stayed for three nights while on a fly drive holiday around virginia .Both myself and my wife do feel however we received below par service compared to the service we have received elsewhere in the United States. Firstly when we were planning our holiday ,my wife emailed the hotel to enquire price and availability,after a day we still had no response ,so my wife emailed again to enquire about the request we had made.Two days after the original enquiry we received a reply from the general manager, the content of this email had one line that was a little sarcastic in nature and made my wife feel guilty for sending the second email request and apolagizing for doing so.
The next problem we had was with a member of the reception staff not telling us that a 50 dollar holding charge was going to be taken off or preloaded debit card .If she had told us that this amount was being taken when she asked for a card to swipe through her system we wouuld have suppliied her a different card.We had a number of diffuculties getting this 50 dollars back on the card .When we checked out of the hotel we tried with the general manager to resolve the problem without success.The money didnt appear back on our card until we had been back in the uk for a week.In my opinion the staff that dealt with this problem came across as having an { oh well you will get you money back eventually } attitude. My wife and i feel that the staff at the hotel should not have let us leave until that one way or another this problem had been resolved .After my original review which was in reflection a little too harsh ,and after the general manager sent me a couple of emais that in my opinion were again a little sarcastic and not fully apologetic in nature i have still posted this review.
Copies of all the emails sent and received can be viewed upon request so you can make you own mind about there content.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
GM515, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear fatboydim1,

I wanted to personally reach out to you again and say that I am very sorry for the mishap with your VISA Travelers Card. I understand that you were considerably inconvenienced and I have gone over this specific instance with my team to ensure not another guest will be inconvenienced in this matter again.

It means a great deal to us that you have revised your previous comments. I greatly appreciate this and our team here at the Holiday Inn Gateway does as well. You are a very kind man to reconsider.

Please allow us to offer our sincerest apologies once again. We always put our guests first, and we really enjoy giving them the best service and making their stay one to remember. I am very sorry that we fell short in the billing area. Please accept my apologies as 100% sincere and if there is anything else I can do for you and your family, know that I am here for you.

Yours in Hospitality,

Geoff Scheibel
GM
Penobscot, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

The best thing about this hotel was the super professional gentleman who worked the front desk while we were staying here.
Overall, this hotel is very clean, the suite we had was updated, and the room service food we ordered was fabulous.
The pool facility was also very clean and nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments about the staff and the room service will be passed on to our staff. They always like to hear when they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place for all of our guests.

Thanks again for yoru time we hope that you will come stay with us again on future visits to the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011 via mobile

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. It appears to be very new, the rooms were very clean and comfortable, and it is conveniently located to all area attractions. We were upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite, making our stay even more pleasurable! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area, particularly if you are traveling with kids.

• Stayed October 2011
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank for for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your great comments about our hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so very pleased that we provided that to you. We hope that if you visit the area again, that you will come stay with us.

Guests visiting Colonial Williamsburg love our hotel's convenient site just one mile from this historic attraction. Busch Gardens, the Yorktown Battlefield and the College of William and Mary are just a few of many fun and educational activities the entire family can enjoy while staying in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again in Williamsburg!
Walpole, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I would like to thank the staff for a great reunion.
The service was excellant. Chef Shaun prepared some great meals.
and his staff (Lynn & Vivian ) were very helpful.
Rooms were very clean and well stocked with towels ect.

Thanks Again. RPR

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you so much for our great comments about our staff members. We will pass these comments on to Chef Shaun, Lynn and Vivian. It is a great thing to pass good comments on to the staff. They always like to hear when they are doing a great job. We are glad that we cold make your reunion great.

We hope that you will consider us again on future visits to the area.

Thanks again for your time. We hope to see you again in Williamsburg!!!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was there for a reunion of a Coast Guard ship I had been stationed on long ago. I found the room very comfortable and quiet, the staff very friendly, and the food really good.

Room Tip: The airport is not very close ( no shuttle available) and many of the attractions and restaurants ar...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments about your stay. We will be passing your comments about not having a shuttle to the management staff. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel.

Be sure to take the entire family to Bistro 515, our on-site restaurant, where kids eat free. At night, step into the lounge for a drink after a day of working or sightseeing.

Thank you so very much for your time. We hope to see you again real soon!!!
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I generally don't like to write a review of hotels based upon one stay, so I did not write a review of this hotel when I stayed there way back in October 2007. At that time, it was also rated #1 in Williamsburg on TA, which is why I stayed there then. After that stay, I was mystified by the #1 rating. The hotel was new and close to Colonial Williamsburg, but (i) the room decor was an ugly combination of brown and green, with inadequate lighting, (ii) the bedroom area of the queen suites was not big enough, putting one queen virtually up against the window wall, with the other one virtually up against the bathroom wall, (iii) there were no towel racks in the bathroom (even though there was plenty of space for a rack above the toilet), so there was no good place to put used towels, (iv) the AC/heating vent in the bedroom blows air right towards the beds, and (v) there was generally no breakfast buffet, either free or otherwise.

I stayed there again for four nights recently (based in part on the still glowing TA reviews, despite my past experience), and I am just as mystified as to how this hotel has managed to stay at number one for four years. As before, the decor is dark and ugly, there are no towel racks, and there is insufficient room for two queen beds in the queen suites. Among the things I encountered this time were (i) small stains on the bedding of one bed, (ii) a torn chair, (iii) a hair dryer that conked out, (iv) a noisy fan/ac unit that made it hard to sleep (plus the unit had trouble staying at the desired temperature), (v) torn pillow cases, (vi) a bathroom door that was very difficult to open because it kept catching on a high spot on the bathroom floor, (vii) a TV remote unit that did not work until I realized that the batteries had been put in backwards, and (viii) only one place to put a suitcase (if you ask, they will send up a suitcase rack, but in a queen room in a tourist town all of the rooms should have a luggage rack). In addition, when I called for reservations just a few days before my arrival, I asked the woman who answered whether they had a breakfast buffet and was told that they did on weekends. However, I went down on Sunday morning, and was told in the restaurant that there was no buffet (apparently they did have one on Saturday, when I wasn't there). Thankfully, there was a McDonald's less that 5 minutes away on Richmond Road, so my wife and I ate breakfast there every day.

I have to say that despite the problems with the room, Katie at the desk was very nice, and tried to help with problems. Also, the beds were comfortable and they did provide both soft and firm pillows (although many of them were mis-marked). The suites have a door between the bedroom and the rest of the suite, which is good for blocking out hall noises, but that doesn't help any with the fan noises in the bedroom.

Next time I am in Williamsburg, I will be hoping to find someplace more to my liking.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you don't want to be by the road, as the suites are all in the back. All of the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway? Share your experiences!