You added Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District
Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Oregon
“good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

This was a nice clean hotel and in a quiet location. The decor and bedding were new. The room was small but had enough space for the 2 queen beds and a rollaway. We had some trouble with AC noise which was bad because it got so hot in the room when we turned it off. This would not be an option in the summer!

We thought the location was great, a quick drive to the Williamsburg visitor center parking lot and Jamestown Settlement was not far away. There was a grocery store nearby and a Walmart in town. We had to drive a ways to get to where the restaurants are concentrated. "Food for Thought" was a family friendly spot for dinner on Hwy 60, and there were more restaurants in that area.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They gave us some breakfast sacks to take with us for snacks when we left in the morning. They also brought us plates, utensils and napkins from the breakfast area so we could eat dinner in our room.

There was a microwave and fridge but no freezer in the room. The laundry room was a godsend, the internet access worked fine and breakfast was plentiful. All in all, we had a good stay at this hotel.

• Liked — new bedding, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — far from restaurants
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Edgewater, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

FIrst, I must say, PLEEEASE do not count the sleeper sofa as bedding. Unlike another review, we found the sleeper sofa HORRIBLY uncomfortable. As a mom, I hated that my 18 year old son had to sleep on it. I told him to just leave it as the sofa.

Secondly, the hotel is nice and new. The staff is probably the coldest I have ever encountered. VERY unusual for Williamsburg. The young man who checked us in did not smile, not once. It's funny when you enter one of the elevators, there is the big "Hampton" sign...SMILE. I think their employees must not use this elevator. The housekeeping staff (Particularly the husband and wife "team") seemed very irritated that you are there. They start hollering in the halls at ohhh, around 8 in the morning. Don't they have lists as to who is or is not checking out?? Totally ruined our 2nd morning as I guess they were trying to get into the room next to ours and hollered "HOUSEKEEPING" in the darn hall for nearly an hour. UGH!!

And thirdly, the breakfast was not up to usual Hampton standards. Basically, JUST continental. They added a "warm" dish....a dry bagel with a cheese and bacon bits topping. Pretty disgusting.

There are MANY hotels to choose from in Williamsburg, looks like they would try harder to make people want to return. I won't return to this Hampton. I'll go back to the Embassy Suites, the hotel is a little older but still very nice and the staff is amazing. They actually act like they want your business. Hey, go figure!!

Hope this helps!! I am usually a very positive reviewer, but I am also very honest. Good Luck!!

• Liked — I guess that it is a new property...that is IT
  • Disliked — The staff....very unfriendly and unwelcoming. Sorry to bother them!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

We just returned from this Hampton Inn and needless to say I was pretty worried given the last review about the infection from the hot tub. I made sure my kids did not go in the hot tub (I usually don't let them anyway) but there were plenty of kids going in and then jumping in the pool. All three of my kids were in the pool every one of our 4 days there for at least 30 minutes each time and none of them developed any kind of rash. The pool water did look a bit cloudy to me on the last day but didn't seem to bother the kids.

I did let the front desk know about what I had read here on the site and they said they had no record of any complaint made about a skin infection developing from a recent use of the hot tub. The girl at the front desk assured me that the pool is tested regulary and a monthly health inspection is done by the county. I will also say though that the white board in the pool area which lists the Ph level never looked like it was changed and the date at the top never changed either, it remained at 4/ ___/08 with no middle day filled in.

As for the hotel, it is very nice, brand new, and the room was nice and big (a studio suite with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa). It was not the greatest ever and not especially cheap either ($150 on th weekend with AAA). Our bathroom lock was broken when we got there( they did promplty replace the lock) and the room showed some wear and tear (black scuff marks on the wall). I also didn't like the position of the one TV in the room which was really hard for everyone to see once we were all in bed without turning it to face the beds (then the person on the sofa couldn't see it). I much prefer the set up of an embassy suites with 2 tvs, however we did go by the Williamsburg embassy suites and did not care for it (at least in the lobby area) Not what you would expect from an embassy suites, no big atrium, small lobby. DId not look at the rooms though.

The last thing is that I did not care for the location of this Hampton. It is a bit out of the way for my tastes. It was in a definitly older section surrounded by older motels. It was close to the visitors center though by car, but for us it would have been better to be on Richmond Road nearer all the shops and the restaurants.

SInce it rained every day we did a lot of driving around and I think that next time I might check out the Hilton Garden Inn on Richmond Road. It looked very nice from the outside and I liked the location right on Richmond Road but set back from the street. The other Hampton is right on the road and looked old to me. They are also building a brand new Hampton Inn and Suites right across from the Holiday Inn on ?Bypass Road? I think. This location would also be better than the one we stayed at since it is closer in to town.

All in all this is a very nice place to stay. The rooms are large, the beds were very comfortable, the free breakfast is nice, the lobby area is very nice and big as well and everything is very clean and new. The business center is also very nice and we used it ofter to check email and do some travel research. I also liked that it was in the lobby not tucked away in some deserted corner, My kids could use it to play on Webkinz for a few minutes while we tried to figure out what to do in the rain!!!

I am a big fan of Hamton Inns and usually always chose them. My main complaint is with the location. Some people might prefer this "quiet" location while we prefer to be more in the middle of things.

• Liked — beds and room size
  • Disliked — location
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
jefferson, nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

This was a nice hotel with close proximity to everything we wanted to accomplish in our four night stay. The rooms were spacious and housekeeping attentive. The breakfast was perfect to start the day. The only complaint the following. My 2 children used the pool area on two seperate occassions for less than 45 minutes. On the second visit to the pool they sat in the hot tub for not more than 5 minutes. The next morning each had small red spots where their bathing suits had been. We just passed it off to them as nothing,but as parents we both wondered"are there bed bugs?". As our vacation ended both had more spots. The morning after we arrived home my son showed me his torso and he was covered. Almost looked like chicken pox because the spots itch a bit, but both were vaccinated. Off to the pediatrician. Both were diagnosed with hot tub folliculitis-infection of the hair follicles from poorly maintained hot tub water. There was not enough chlorine/bromine in the hot tub and bacteria had formed. Needless to say both are on a full course of antibiotics and topical cream. I contacted the hotel manager on site,but have yet to hear back from her. There were bus loads of kids at the hotel during our stay and I just hope they all didn't go in. Never mind all the adults that were in the hot tub. My advice, bring your own test strips to test the water!!

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — poorly maintained pool and hot tub water
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn this past weekend. Our room was the 2 queen with sleeper sofa suite. The room was very good size and had a kitchen area with sink, frige and microwave. Every thing in the hotel was very clean. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Would definately stay here again. (Only complaint - bananas on the breakfast buffet were over ripe.) Overall the best place we have stayed in Williamsburg.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed here for Spring Break with our family of 5- three children. Hotel was clean as could be, beds were spacious and comfortable, and the staff could not have been nicer. I have never written a hotel review but I was so pleased with the quality of this Hampton Inn that I felt compelled to do so!

Stayed April 2008
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Loved it!! It was clean, the staff was more than accommodating, and the free breakfast was more than sufficient. I told them that they were just as good as the Four Seasons, (with the exception of the fresh flowers :) Loved it! Keep up the good work Hampton Inn Williamsburg!!

• Liked — cleanliness and hospitality of the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District? Share your experiences!