“Great stay w/ a few minor hiccups” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   549 East Rochambeau Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #31 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Richmond, Virginia
“Great stay w/ a few minor hiccups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed for the 1st time this past Sunday evening October 6th. It was me, "grandma" and my 2 girls ages 2 & 4. We originally booked a regular Family Suite w/ 2 queen beds. A week prior we received an online upgrade opportunity for some extra $. We picked the Grizzly Suite for only $45 extra and were pleasantly surprised at check-in that this suite was available! Awesome-- my 4 year old and mom stayed in one room w/ the 2 queen beds, and I stayed in the other bedroom with the 2 year old in a pack and play. We really liked having the extra den to watch tv in once the girls went to bed. We had requested a 4th floor room as I had heard those were more quiet. We lucked out and got a room right next to the elevators. Although yes, it was a long walk to the waterpark, it is not as long as reviewers make it out to be. I'm not sure I understand what the big deal there is. Also, our room was very quiet through the night. No complaints there. At one point, we weren't sure our AC was working properly (it was afterall) and they sent a maintenance man up there ASAP. My main concern prior to travel was bed bugs after reading multiple reviews on here and other sites. There seemed/ seems to be an issue at this hotel. When we checked in, I asked for an inspection of my room, which I did with the manager. He was very nice and thorough. Although I was satisfied post-inspection that our room was indeed bed bug-free, I did not sleep well worrying about the bugs :( I don't believe there were any, but nonetheless, the worry of it kept me up. A shame because the beds were very comfy. The next morning,as we were waiting in line for breakfast, we overheard another family saying they had to be moved during the night due to roaches on their ceiling-what?! That is awful. So, even though I think we lucked out w/ our room, it doesn't sound like others were as lucky. The waterpark was great--I was worried my 2 year old wouldn't be old enough to enjoy everything but they have an area geared towards her age and she loved it. She never got tired of going down the slide over and over and over... The lifeguards were very attentive. We ate at the restaurant onsite. Food was just okay. All in all, we had a great time, and so did my girls. We will go back again, especially if we see a good deal. However, we will be inspecting our room again!!!!

Room Tip: We liked being on the 4th floor and near the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My family and I decided to check out Great Wolf Lodge for one night this past weekend. We decided on the Kids Camp room because of the privacy. The room set up was cool, and worked out well. The kids loved the bunk beds and their own personal cabin We have a 3 and 5 yr old. The concept of the indoor water park was very cool, however I feel that for the stay, and all the extras things can add up very quickly. Our room ran about 400, and it does include water park tickets. What we did not know was that to participate in the Magic Quest scavanger hunt, you have to pay for a wand, and it's activation. Which runs about 25 each. And if you want to add accessories to your wand, it's more. We also didn't like the fact that everything closed kinda early. For 400 dollars on the weekend, I'd like the things to stay open atleast until midnight. The water park was nice, and the kids liked it. Although, we won't be coming back anytime soon, but we can say we experienced it and had a pretty good time.

Room Tip: Long hallways, so choose a room closest to the elevators
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have been to the GWL in Williamsburg, VA about 10 times. We just love going here for a mid-week break. We always go mid-week when the rates are cheaper.

The rooms are always clean and well kept. The beds are super comfy. My only complaint this visit was there were no real coffee cups in the room, like on previous visits. We have very restrictive diets so the fridge and microwave make it very handy for fixing our own meals.

The water park is always a big hit. There is something for everyone. My 9 year old like the floating pads and the tree house, my 13 year old likes all the tubes rides, my 17 year old love the surf machine, and I love the hot tub.

In the evenings the two youngest kids play Magic Quest.

I can't review the arcade or Bear Club or any of the food places. I did look at the menu at the snack bar at the water park but they don't have much of anything that we could eat.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Checked in oct 3, that evening I had to be moved to another room because of BED BUGS. Was given money to launder my clothes but the machines were out of order. Went to eat breakfast at 10:30am and restaurants were closed. Advertise 5 restaurants, 1 is dunkin donuts. Bar closes at 9pm. If I weren't here for a business meeting I would have left.

• Stayed October 2013
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

All four of us love water parks so the opportunity to go here in the off season during the week was a no-brainer. We had a blast in the water park! The room was extremely clean, as was everything else in the resort. The bed was wonderful! The MagicQuest game is pricey but the kids had a ball with it. We will be back.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

As a previous reviewer wrote, "if it were my children reviewing, the place would get a 5+". Now, the reason for my review......I had been wanting to take my family to the Great Wolf Lodge for a couple of years, but it never worked out for quite a few reasons. Our stay started on a Thurs eve, and ended Sun morn. The check-in was uneventful, and my first impression of our room was just as I expected. It was clean and roomy. Overall the stay was everything that a kid would want, with plenty of activities to keep them busy. My children were in heaven. I have to admit that the breakfast buffet at the lodge was not very exciting. I think the quality of the food could have been better. We never ate lunch or dinner there, as we were constantly on the go. The indoor water park was phenomenal, with the kids never wanting to leave. The staff were friendly during all my contacts with them. I wish the activities, to include the water park would stay open later. Because of the food, the closing times of the some of the activities, and high cost of different things, I give my stay a 4, instead of a 5. Overall, I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that if you get a room on the 1st floor, as we did, it can get loud as kids upstairs mi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

It is hard to pick a rating because as an adult, I'd give it 3 stars. The rugs had stains and rips, there were dents in walls and doors, duvet covers were torn, the balcony hadn't been swept (as in there were cookie crumbs all over it), there wasn't a clock in the living area or second bedroom, there wasn't a luggage rack, any kind of drink was $2.75 and up .... And I searched the food places for anything healthy and only came up with a $6 yogurt parfait and $4 fruit cup (which had hard fruit anyway).

That being said, if I let me child review it, it would be 5 stars. Of course a child doesn't notice all those things I did. The only thing a kid sees is the funwater park, the masive amount of tickets when hitting the jackpot in the arcade, the huge room to run around in, and the short bowling ally even a little kid was able to find success on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!