“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
La Plata, Maryland
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is my second trip to Great Wolf Williamsburg. First time was 3 years ago for NY Eve, and though it was expensive then too, I felt like it was worth it for that weekend..
Now to this weekend:
First, the food is terrible. My sister actually was sick to her stomach after we ate at the buffet on day 1. My first plate I couldn't eat 80% of what was on it because it just tasted off, so I left it on the table and got plate 2. I ended up sticking to the steamed shrimp and a baked potato. Not great for $19.95 + you then pay extra for your drinks. My daugher and friend who are 14 at pizza and corn dogs, also for $19.95 + drinks and my bill was $121 (4 adult charges, 1 sangria, a few soft drinks)--WOW! Needless to say after that, all meals have been outside of the resort, besides one cheese pizza from the Wolf's Den, which was edible. We got a birthday package, so we did get a poster, some coupons for tokens at the arcade, a stuffed animal, some treat bags with candy bars, a cake and a picture book; probably not worth the price, but cute. When I went to get my daughter's cake one of the young ladies that works there was wiping her nose with her hand, then preceded to reach in and move the cupcakes around. Needless to say, not eating anything from there.
In the waterpark there were no towels, no floats, no place to sit-- finally got a float and a towel after about 20 minutes--getting a place to sit, not so much. It is way overcrowded, but slides are still fun even after a long wait.
Housekeeping, nice lady the first day, day 2 no one vacuumed the room. I had to call and ask for them to come back and vacuum the room. Really?
You can see the wear and tear since my last visit, definitley needs some refurbishing.
There are a lot of extra money making operations too, of course the arcade which is expected, then the bowling alley (not regular size--really small lanes) for $5 per person to bowl a game, 3-D roller coster--can't remember the cost (we didn't do it), magic quest-- tons of money for the wand, etc. (didn't do this this trip thank God), the Salon, we did this last time and my daugher loved it, however, her nail polish peeled off like 3 hours later.
Staff has been nice the entire time.
I don't mind paying $495 a night IF I get a $495 a night experience...this time not even close. I don't see myself coming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Thai first
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

GWL is what you'd expect - fun for kids, okay for adults. Go in with realistic expectations and you'll be fine. I do want to mention that they have made an effort to accommodate food allergies in the past year. The more notice you give them, the more they can do. Also worth mentioning that the Pizza Hut Express has closed and there is a new pizza place downstairs that has surprisingly good pizza!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Olney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very good place, Kids loved it. Not very good food options but a Jungle Jim's that you can walk to is good. Water park is amazing!!!!!! Its a very kid friendly place, also there is a kids spa, adult spa, arcade, bowling, and magi quest. Have to go to it.

Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My grandkids love this place! My 5th time visiting and this was the first time I was dissappointed. The room we stayed in was the wolf den and it definitely needed to be remodeled. The carpet was dirty and torn. It actually was taped in some places. The desk staff was not very friendly or helpful! I had a discount coupon and they told me their rate was cheaper so they didn't give it to me. I found out they inflated the price of the room, so I paid normal price. Dining is ridiculous! You have to leave the lodge to get any decent food. They should have better choices than pizza and a buffet! I have always had a good experience, except for this one, and I will be hesitant to return. Great fun for the kids, but management needs to listen to the guests concerns or they will lose continuing customers. The lifeguards and other pack members were fantastic! Really need to do some remodeling for the price!

Room Tip: Stay away from the themed rooms as they have had a lot of wear and tear and not worth the price. Ea...
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Everything is overpriced, outdated and the water park is too small for the full capacity it allows. Def needs more tables and loungers by pool. If you get there after 11, you'll be sitting on the ground. Walls are paper thin, you hear everything in the halls, next door and especially from overhead. If I ever return, I'll request a top floor room. Food choices very limited. $14 for a kids buffet that is like warm and doesn't include drinks? Bring your own food or go out. Plenty of good places right out on main road. My advice - wait until summer and go to Water Country.

Fort Monroe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went there just for a overnight get away with my family. It was cold outside but nice and cozy inside. It was during a cold month and wanted to have a outdoor waterpark kind of experience. The water entertainment was fun for all The food was mediocre. The room was very nice. Busy place though.

Bel Air, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

After seeing Under Cover Boss were could not wait for the Great Wolf Experience. Unfortunately we did not have the TV experience. The facility was at 100% capacity so we were unable to check into our room until after 6:00 pm. The only place to eat after on the property after checking was the Pizza Hut express. The Women's restroom at the water park was disgusting and that is being kind! The water park was fun and the only & main attraction of the facility.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!