“AWSOMENESS WAS BORN HERE” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   549 East Rochambeau Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #34 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Annandale, Virginia
“AWSOMENESS WAS BORN HERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

the rooms are very prety the fireplace is great. it feels very cozy and is kid freindly. the wands are great the rides are thrilling the food mouth watering the price... well.... look for a good deal. it will make your family feel more together. the reastraunt across the street AWSOME!!!!!!! i love all the activities.

Room Tip: Do not sleep on the first level.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

1,382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Thai first
travelingmomma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My issues with Great Wolf Lodge started long before we went and never improved. I would NOT recommend this as a place to be treated like a captive audience by people who know they have you captive.

When I called to make arrangements for my husbands 40th (his idea as I knew there rep) I failed to make arrangement for one of there 4 coveted cabanas. This was an error and would have given our large party a place to plant our stuff together and have meals together without standing or hoping for a chair that someone just abandon. My sister in-law suggested this idea and if I were smarter I would have just done it when I called for reservations 3 months in advance and potentially would have gotten one. That being said Great Wolf Lodge told me repeatedly that they might have a cancellation and badly wanting to fix this error I called and e-chatted 5 times to hopefully get a cabana. The first time I almost got the cabana and was told,"Opps that is the Friday your coming down not the Saturday or Sunday you asked for is that okay." should have tipped me off but again not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I got this bait and switch of "We have a cabana let me get your reservation number and hold just a moment while I pretend to put you into that cabana so I can come back and tell you yes you can have it....oh it was not that date my mistake...would you still like it? My favorite of these exchanges happened what happened when I spoke Queen after speaking with I think Stephanie about her lie that they had a cabana online. I got tired of going back and forth with Queen about what bait and switch actually means online so I told her "Goodbye" and shut down the web link. She then called me at what was 9:50pm while I was sitting next to my husband WHO THIS WAS A SURPRISE FOR until a 9:50 phone call came in! When I asked Queen if 9:50PM was an appropriate time to call people with 3 children (as seen on my reservation profile) she informed me that because I was up an online that they must be up!!!!!!!!!!!!! I then asked her if my husbanded needed to know about something I was doing online as a surprise because she could not read,"GOODBYE." Long and short of it is that I called the resort managers many times with no response.

I called the food and catering manager a month out to digress and was never contacted about having a catered party for my husband.

When we arrived to huge lines and not so welcoming staff. As a matter of fact the entire weekend was full of not so welcoming staff and not a single person working at the Lodge was memorably engaging or top notch professional.

The food at the Loose Moose was edible, over cooked and meh.

The actual wave pool area was so much smaller than I thought it was I no longer worried about my 12 and 13 getting lost from us...this place is tiny!

The bed was very uncomfortable in our room but other friends did not have that issue.

For the price I would have taken a cruise!

Leesburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went to this resort after my mom recommended it since it had a lot of kid activities. The Pros- Nice waterpark, lots of activities, friendly staff. The Con's - Our "famiy suite" (which amounted to a "glorified" hotel room was unclean (I actually saw some stains on the curtains and carpet, eck!) The room was dark so I had to turn on all the lights.... it still felt dark. The storytime (while a nice idea) seemed chaotic by the constant noise and traffic of the other guests going through out lobby. I understand that I was paying for the amenities, but given the condition of my room, I thought I'd overpaid (I even paid the discount rate). I've stayed in nicer Marriott resorts for a lot less....I'm not sure if I'd come back, I probably would if they do some major upgrades to the room or lowered their nightly room rate. I didn't have a terrible time here, and I don't consider myself real picky when it comes to hotel rooms since I only use them to rest my head, but I still felt like I got ripped off...big time. if you do decide to go, make sure you get a discount rate, otherwise you will probably feel like you got robbed.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a one night, two day experience for about $550 for 6 people (includes food, Magi-Quest, manicure for me and arcade time). It was a lot of fun - we had 3 adults and 3 kids ages 11-14. The water park is amazing and has areas for toddlers thru teens! The Magi-quest is fun and we could let the kids go around without us on their tail. The kids had a blast. The food is expensive, so we brought our own breakfast and snacks and ordered in Chinese for dinner (a lot of the restaurants deliver). Each room has a fridge and microwave, so this worked out well. We did have pizza and salad on-site for lunch..they have a family meal deal that includes the soda and salad. If you want your kids to eat fruit you will need to bring it with you. It was a great time, and the 1 night, 2 day stay was perfect for us. This would combine well with a camping trip (nice to get a change from a hotel) or a family visit (nice to get a break from the group). It would also work well as part of a longer trip to the area..there is a lot of great history to see here!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
solomons
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

So I walk into The Wolf Lodge getting ready to spend over $300 a night and I am standing in line with no one in front of me, two available desk clerks who completely ignore me for at least 5 mins until I finally go up and say are you available b/c you did not even acknowledge me where the clerk said ohh. No apology, no smile!!! We leave our bags with the bell hop who is semi nice with no friendly welcome. We are now in our room which again I add we have spent good money for to find a bathroom so small you can't shut the door unless in already and a tv from the 1990's. In general, my family and I do not feel welcomed at all and feel our accommodations would be ten times better at the Holiday Inn. The only smile we have received is from the Bartender Laura who was pleasant and the wings were marginally good.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a balcony so you can jump out!
Stevensville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A stay here won't come cheap, though there are deals out there, but your kids will love it. 7 of us spent one night, staying in the Loft room. It slept 4 adults and 3 kids under 10 comfortably. It was a nice diversion from the winter blahs. Service overall from the mostly young staff was very good from everyone we encountered.

We got in early, around noon for a 4pm check-in. They issued our bands and other check-in items on the spot and allowed us to enter the waterpark prior to receiving our room, which was great. Our room was ready about 3:30pm on a busy weekend, which worked for us.

The waterpark was packed around noon and finding a table for all of us was a challenge, but it worked out. The park is mostly geared for kids, though there is a hot-tub area for adults, and a few of the tubes move at good speeds so adults will enjoy it. We all had a good time, though the chlorine smell seemed excessive and the humidity inside was fairly intense, at least initially. Lifeguards were very attentive. There's a snack bar (with adult drinks) inside the pool area.

There is a bowling alley, crafts station, movie theater, arcade, a MagiQuest game for older kids on site ... a lot of activities for all ages. But they are packed at times, and all come at a cost. Be prepared to spend $$$. The elevator operating was brutal - it was slow, and broke a few times during our stay. As the property requires up/down movement, this proved to be a hassle, particularly with older persons in our party. There's not much that can be done here, but the property would do well to investigate ways to improve the movement/flow aspect around the center of the lodge.

We ate at the buffet and it was passable; basically, you are paying for the convenience. $19.99 for adults and $9.99 for kids 3-10 ... not sure there was value there, but they do offer the Happy Hour specials for adults inside the buffet. Basically your only other option on site is the Pizza Hut Express, which seemed to be the option most chose.

As mentioned, the room was great for 7 folks. The only drawbacks ... the AC/heating system seemed inadequate (we had to use the AC during the winter??) and the lighting in the bathroom was barely more than a nightlight. The cleaning folks missed towels hanging on the door from the previous guests, but that's not too much of a big deal. Beds were ok, pullout sofa worked well for the kids.

Bottom line - kids will love the park, adults won't be disappointed, but it will come at cost. Our room was roughly $500 for 7 people. If you factor in that the water park is "free" with the room ... and assuming that each water park ticket could cost $30/$40 or more per person at a regular water park ... we figured half the price of the room was for the water park. Not sure we could entertain ourselves for more than 2 nights, but ... a good time was had by all. Good for an escape from the cold winter days.

Delmar, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have absolutely loved every trip we've take to Great Wolf Lodge. The kids LOVE the waterpark, obviously...but MagiQuest is certainly a favorite too. My son could spend hours in the arcade, and my daughter adores the special treatment at Scoops Spa. We make it a point to visit at least once every year, and are anxious for our next trip. We've stayed in the family suites, loft fireplace suites and Grizzly suites, and have found each of them to be clean and spacious.
We shared the Grizzly suite with my best friend and her family...and there was plenty of room for all 7 of us. I highly recommend this property. So much to do...you never have to leave...and why would you want to?

Room Tip: Ground floor is a great location to hit the waterpark, spa, arcade, bowling alley and sweet shop.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!