“Once is more than enough.” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   549 East Rochambeau Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #31 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Ashburn, Virginia
“Once is more than enough.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here with 2 Groupon deals and am glad we did it that way. There's no way I'll pay full price for a very expensive waterpark getaway. My 4 yr old boy and his cousins enjoyed the waterpark but after the 2nd day even he had enough of it. We got there early so they did the pre-check in which means we can use the waterpark but we still don't have our rooms yet since check in time is at 4 pm. The receptionist who did our pre-check in was very courteous and friendly and she told us housekeeping will call once the rooms are ready. However, past 4 pm we still haven't received any calls to tell us we have our rooms, so I went back to the check in area twice and asked if our rooms were ready and a different receptionist named Alexandria wasn't quite helpful and came off as lacking customer service manners. When I asked her how come we still don't have our rooms and it's already past 4 pm, she just replied, "The rooms are not ready and 4 pm is when the rooms become available." DUH????!!!!! Another receptionist named Jessica finally stepped in and helped her to book us our two rooms and needless to say Jessica did a fantastic job, she had the bracelets/keys all tied up in a bunch for one room and wrote the room number on a piece of paper. Alexandria? She just handed me the bracelets and rattled off the room number for the 2nd room. She obviously doesn't belong in a customer service job as she lacks the proper attitude and decorum. Sorry to say this but her face matches her manners! Need I say more?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Thai first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great Wolf Lodge is alright to stay for 1 night, 2 at the most. Our kid-camp themed room was big but didn't feel very clean. Smell was a bit musty. This is to be expected because of the indoor waterpark. Our two kids, 14 and 10, loved the place so I guess it was worth it. Being close to Busch Gardens was a big plus. Because of the kids, I would probably return, but if it were just me and the wife, there are nicer hotels for the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I just got back from a two night stay with my girlfriend (we are both in our mid 20's). We decided to stay at Great Wolf even though we weren't sure if it was only for kids and families, but we ended up having a great time! When checking in, even though the lobby was packed, it was still the quickest and easiest check-in process I have seen and we were off to our room less than two minutes after walking in the door. We had a queen suite which was very clean and was relatively basic other than the great decorations and lodge style wooden furniture. The tv only had about 40 channels (including all of the espn channels, so I was in college football heaven on saturday), but with all the fun to be had at Great Wolf you won't be watching much tv anyways. As far as food goes we only tried the breakfast buffet at the loose moose, and a pizza from hungry as a wolf.. both of which were great! We played a little skee ball and air hockey in the arcade, but didn't spend much time there other than that although it looked pretty well stocked for the younger ones. We were worried that the water park would only be kiddie slides, but they had some great ones for older folks as well. Even though the lodge was fully booked the water park wasn't too crowded and there weren't really and lines for the water slides. They also have an over 21 hot tub which was very relaxing and pretty much empty (since most adults were in the regular hot tub with their kids). Everybody knows that this place is great for families, but I just wanted to let adult couples know that you will have a blast here too!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We come every Thanksgiving because my step son loves it here. I understand that when you pay $300 plus dollars a night it's mostly for the water park because the rooms are most certainly not worth it. My son enjoys the Magic Quest game and the park so every year we come here. This year I've had enough. The top bunk of his Wolf Den was soooo filthy it was not in any way acceptable. It took 3 calls to house keeping to finally get it cleaned. We paid $700 for a filthy room for one night. We could have stayed at Disney for 4 nights for the same price and been significantly happier. The quality of service by guest relations was abysmal. I had to demand that a House Keeping Manager come to the room. My mother and I wasted 3 hours waiting for them to clean it. I hope that they finally finish the Kalahari Resort in Fredericksburg so that I don't have to bring my stepson to this old filthy property. It should be a crime to charge that much for a room and be so lax with your customer service. We will likely be looking for another resort experience next year.

Saluda, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

From the wowing decorations and customer service! Water park inside was so awesome! My brothers and I went at it in the arcade racking up the tickets! The spa was amazing! My pedicure and manicure turned out amazing! I was so relaxed afterwards too! Went to sleep in heaven in those beds they have! I would definetly recommend to my friends and family!!

Durham, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our two grand-children loved the water park. It wore them out both days we were there. The hotel was over-rated... in somewhat disrepair/maintenance, and very noisy. The noises from the corridor and the rooms upstairs kept the boys awake... the next morning they said that there must have been kangaroos living upstairs.

The food at the hotel was just ok, nothing special. The $20 dinner buffet was disappointing and that price didn't include any beverages. The Breakfast buffet was about the same. Speaking of beverages, the bar tried to sell me a basic Jack Daniels and Ginger Ale for $11.99.

This was definitely not a 4 or 5 star facility, yet the prices would indicate so. I do realize that the water park is a huge asset, but they tried to imitate the Wilderness Lodge at Disneyworld, and failed miserably.

Lake Gaston, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My whole family went to celebrate my daughters second birthday and my nephews birthday. There were 9 adults and 7 kids. Some friends of my sister in laws also came. (2 more adults and 3 kids) We went in knowing cost etc.
Pros: the water park was clean. I liked how many lifeguards were present. The staff in the restaurant was very nice. They sang happy birthday and gave us all ears and tails. It was worth staying one night but we had done all the rides within a hour. I can not see staying more then one night.
CONS: first off we get there and find out all of us are on different floors. Not close at all. Then I could not find a luggage cart. 10 mins later I located one and couldn't get on the elevator. I waited 3 times and it was always full. So I decided to go down the stairs. Passed 3 employees, none offered to help. As it is a indoor water park the carpets in the halls were gross. I told them when I made reservations I had a elderly person with me but yet the put us on the top floor pretty far from elevators. I would recommend if you are traveling with some one of age or disability that you request especially a room close to elevators.
Overall: we may go back once our 2 year old gets older. However we prefer water country. Lots more to do and my 6 year prefers it more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!