“one of the better wolf lodges” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   549 East Rochambeau Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #31 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“one of the better wolf lodges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

we enjoyed our two night stay the rooms were very clean price was pretty low compared to other wolf lodges only downside is the food not very good but there is plenty of good restaurants nearbye try the bbq place down the street

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We originally were scheduled to stay 4 days but left a day early. Overpriced,overrated and clearly not worth the $200.00 plus a nite. Needs updating,kind of 1980's.Thorough cleaning is needed as well as just updating period! You are better off getting a nice hotel for half the price and going to Bush Gardens! It was a good experience just to say we went. First and last visit!

• Stayed August 2012
Yorktown, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The rooms are amazing but by the time my son is ready to go to sleep I'm too tired to enjoy it. We spend all day in the water park and half the night searching for hidden magical objects. I need a vacation from this vacation!

Myersville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

If in the middle of winter if you have a desire to swim at a water park, then this might be the place for you. I would go to Water Country during the summer season. Great Wolf is best suited for children (>10). The slides are just ok and the wave pool is very small. The rooms were also smaller than I was expecting. We stayed in the Cabin Suite. The food was over priced and terrible. We started eating in Williamsburg instead of the resort. They charge you fees that seem like taxes, but they are not. I called their representatives to ask why the "taxes and fees" are so high and I was told that the fees cover maintenance of the facility and things like room cleaning. Every other hotel I have stayed at includes those costs as part of the room rate. The reality is, their room rates are high so they hide some of the price in their "fees and taxes". Most people will just think that Virginia charges a lot in room tax. Very shady if you ask me!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Based on a lot of bad reviews I read recently I almost cancelled our reservations at this property. I am so glad I didn't!!!

We traveled to Williamsburg from San Diego. Before arriving to Great Wolf we stayed at another hotel for a few nights. We booked just one night at Great Wolf because we have heard a lot about it and we wanted to enjoy the waterpark, but it is a little pricey. We figured it's only one night and if it's as bad as some of the reviews describe we can tough it out for one night.

We arrived at the hotel right at 1:00 on a Tuesday. 1:00 is when you can start using the slides even though check in isn't until 4:00. When we went to get our wristbands at the desk our room was ready, what a nice suprise! We had a regular suite with a balcony, located on the 2nd floor (which is actually the same level as the lobby). The room was huge! It had a microwave, coffee maker, and refrigerator. It also had two double beds, a fireplace, and a sitting area. We quickly changed into our swimsuits and headed to the waterpark.

The waterpark was great. We walked around a bit looking for a place to make our home base. We didn't bring anything of value down to the waterpark. We did find a table where we left our flip flops, cover ups and towels. We went on to spend 5 hours in the waterpark ... we had a blast!! The slides were all great fun. The wave pool was nice. My husband tried the Flow Rider, that was hilarius! We went to the outdoor pool for a little while and had a cocktail while watching our daughter play with some nice kids she met.

At one point our daughter skinned her knee on the bottom of the wave pool. We went to the hut where they gave out towels and asked for a band aid. A lifegaurd promply sat her down and talked to her. washed the wound, and fixed her up. They were great with her. We were soon right back to having fun.

Our plan was to go take showers then go to dinner, but we were so exhausted after the watesrpark that we ordered a pizza from the Pizza Hut Express that is right off the lobby and took it back to our room and ate. It worked out perfect. Later that evening I wanted to walk around the hotel a bit so we ended up playing in the arcade a little while then we got dessert at the Sweet Treats shop before turning in for the night. On the way back to the room we saw a cute character taking pictures with kids by the fireplace. Of course we had to stop for a photo op. It was cute!

We would have liked to try the magicquest thing and I would have like to try the spa, but we ran out of time. Two nights would have been perfect, but that's ok.

Overall we had a great stay at the Great Wolf Lodge. I think any more than 2 nights at this hotel might be a bit overwhelming. In terms of clenliness, it was fine. The beds were not that great. One more thing, I took notice of the lifegaurds while I was there. We put our daughter in swimming lessons at a very young age because we know how dangerous water can be. I was very impressed with how dilligent the lifegaurds were about walking along the pool and keeping their eyes moving. I also noticed two differnt times people tried talking to them and they always kept moving and replied very nicely that for safety they were not allowed to talk to guests.

Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My trip to Great Wolf Lodge with my family was alright, but it was mostly marred by the TERRIBLE food. We stayed for several days, and each and every day we hated the food more and more. It was to the point where we were tempted to just eat Pizza Hut for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Aside from the poor food, the attractions weren't bad, but the lifeguards didn't really seem to care what happened. Other water parks I've been to have had more attentive guards, but here, it seemed essentially lawless.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our family has been going to Great Wolf Lodge, Williamsburg, Va since it opened 7 years ago. We go for our children's birthdays, and a few extra trips now and then. They LOVE it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. After all these years they still are thrilled to go! We had a terrific stay Aug. 12-14, 2012. I have read the negative reviews. We think the positives far outweigh any negatives. We have made many great memories at Great Wolf.

I have to state that firstly, there is no perfect place. Any place you go, may have some sort of issue. It's how you and the establishment deal with it that matters.Yes, it is expensive but you get a lot for the money overall --- overnight accommodations and access to the water park. One night's rate gets you two days at the water park. The day you check in you can arrive early and swim before you check in, and the day of check out you can swim that whole day as well.

Our room was clean with no problems. Housekeeping personnel were friendly, prompt, and swift. They did an excellent job. Even still, I bring anti-bacterial wipes with me every place I travel. If I need it, I use it and I keep rolling.

People complain about the price of food. It is on the high side, but you can choose to eat at the resort or at the many near by restaurants. Or you can use the refrigerator and microwave that is in each room. There is a Wal-Mart on the same road that Great Wolf Lodge is located. You have to drive right past it to get to the resort. There is also a Chic-Fil-A nearby, Sonic, Subway, so many restaurants less than 5 minutes away. So you do have choices.

We had a great stay. But we did have an issue. We spoke to the manager and found her to be attentive and genuinely cared if we were satisfied. She was very professional, friendly, and helpful. The issue was resolved and we were very happy.

Are there some maintenance issues? Yes. The resort is 7 years old. It isn't going to look brand new. It still looks pretty good overall. We will definitely return. We go for the kids, but my husband and I have a good time too. Every night we are worn out (in a good way), from the days activities. The kids wake up the next morning excited to start all over again. It's great that everything is "right there" and you really don't "have" to leave. Very convenient.

Our kids love the Magi-Quest. The good thing about it is once you pay for the wands, you can re-use them on a future trip. It's a nice break from the water park. I have read where adults aren't too keen on Magi-Quest, but it is super fun for the kids. I'm not exaggerating when I say they love it.

So I guess in overall summary, in some regards I think you get what you expect. We expect the kids/family to have a great time and we are never let down. If you stuck on the cost and expect to get an "adult value" from a perceived high room rate you will constantly look for and see what is wrong with the resort, because you weren't happy with spending that amount in the first place. Any issues you "find" will validate that it wasn't "worth it".

It is a kid's paradise. It's a family paradise too. Great place for spending time together. The time flew by on our trip. We all commented that it was hard to believe it was time to go. So much fun and good times. It was "worth it" for us!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!