“Tourist chop house” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Tourist chop house”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

All three of us had the house special 'Broiled seafood combination".... Long John Slivers has a better combination. The scallops were gritty, the flounder was dry and over cooked, the shrimp were o.k. and the crab cake tasted like a wad of Bisquick with imitation crab seasoning. All in all not a good meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Michigan
“Pleasantly suprised - ignore the bad reviews and eat here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

After reading the obviously false negative reviews on this site, I was reluctant to try this restaurant. What I can tell you is that even though I went in Fireside Chophouse with my family, thinking about how awful the meal was about to be, as soon as my dinner arrived all negative thinking was thrown out the window. I ordered the Stuffed Shrimp, my wife ordered a rare small Prime Rib, and my mother-in-law a medium small Prime Rib. First we were served were tossed salads, plenty large enough for a 'before entree' salad. The dinner rolls are crusty white bread rolls, slightly warm and tasty; standard stuff. A short time after, we were served perfectly prepared steaks, with no 'dirty mud' whatsoever, and my three jumbo Stuffed Shrimp, which were butterflied with huge lumps of crab cake on top, broiled to a perfect golden brown. These were absolutely delicious and very fresh; I highly recommend them to anyone. I also enjoyed a generous side of redskin mashed potatoes, which were homemade and tasted great, along with a few slices of broiled carrots. My wife does not like mashed potatoes so she *chose* french fries, which were crispy and also very good. The prime rib with fresh horseradish was excellent.

The fireplace was not lit; it was also 90 degrees outside - didn't hurt our experience whatsoever.

The portions were larger than we expected.

Total bill, 3 people, excellent dinner, no appetizers or desserts or alcohol: $66.00 (after tax, before tip, with 10% off coupon that is everywhere).

Give it a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Steaks Alive..What a great meal we had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We stumbled upon this restaurant after seeing it in one of those free Williamsburg guides. (10% off) We have to say that this was our best meal of our trip. I had the NY strip medium rare and it was done to perfection. My husband was equally delighted in his Steak Au Pauver\.(sp?) My children both had the Jr. Steaks from the children's menu(7.95) and loved them. Our server was excellent and attentive. After spending $58 for lunch in merchants square, our $107.00 with 2 wines and 4 beers, 2 desserts was an excellent walue.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Va
“Great everytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

We eat here everytime we go to Williamsburg. We love prime rib and have tried it everywhere in Williamsburg and it is by far the best in town. We love the decor and the atmosphere

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wayne NJ
“FABULOUS Steak House in Willamsburg VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We visited Williamsburg in early 2008 and had the extreme pleasure of eating at the Fireside Chop House. This was by far the best steak I have had in years, and I have eaten at some of the finest steak houses in the country, including Phil Lehr's in San Franciso, Ruth's Chris and Commander's Palace in New Orleans, The Prime Rib in Washington DC, etc. None served a tastier, juicier, or more tender steak than the Chop House. In addition, the service was very good, attentive without being overbearing, and definetly friendly rather than aloof.
The price was quite reasonable for the meal- you can't go wrong here.