“Terrible, and also gives the original owners a BAD name” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Terrible, and also gives the original owners a BAD name”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First I want to point out that Hyashi has been under new management and owners for a while. The original owners are now located in Newport News and I hear they do a wonderful job. The new owners operated under the Hyashi name while waiting for a name change and that is bad for business for the original people.
Moving on to food. The first time I ate there I LOVED the fish cake, it was awesome, that was really the only reason I wanted to go there again. The second and third time we were treated like absolute garbage and the food was terrible. Upon the second visit my friend NEVER got her food, and everyone else did, mean while they had to make mine twice. Once my friend was finally able to talk to someone she was informed that they never even made her food, she was so upset and wanted to just get hers to go so we could leave, well then one of the owners tells the chef not to even cook her food, but yet still wanted to charge her. Are you kidding me??! My friend said no way! but that if they made her food she would obviously pay for it. Meanwhile everyone elses food was boxed up and ready to go. There was a discrepency on another bill so we had to wait to get that fixed too. While my friend and the othre person were trying to get this taken care of the owner was just listening in but doing NOTHING to fix the problems. She then walks over to our table throws all our to go food away and walks away. WTH??! She yelled at my friend and was very rude and wanted us to leave the restaurant. This whole time I was trying to pay my bill but no one took my money, so we all left. A few months later we went back just to see if maybe it would be different and get the stupid fish cake, and we waited forever for service, the orders weren't right and people were once again rude. Never again. Sorry I willmake my own damn fish cake at home. There is a little place on mooretown that sushi and hibachi even to go, and they are waaaay better. We always order from there unless we make it at home or are somewhere other than Williamsburg. Once again I hope these reviews do no t reflect poorly on the original owners. I will be trying their place out in newport news and letting them know for sure .

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been here several times for dinner and lunch and I love it!

They have the best miso soup and the freshest, yummiest sushi. If you are ever nearby on the weekdays during lunch you should definitely try their bento box. It is so much food and very reasonable priced.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Arrived with a party of 4. Was seated immediately. Ordered mixed drinks, some items not available due to blender being broke. All had hibachi grill. Food was prepared very well and with great show. Will recommend and return

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“Dangerous for Children”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went there for St. Patrick's Day 2013 with family and our young daughter. The place was dead (no customers), poorly lit and the front door was grimy. I guess you should be leery of a place in a strip mall next to an outlet mall, but we chanced it.

We decided to have some fun and opt for the hibachi grill. We waited over an hour for the cook to come to our table. The limp salad and salty soup were long gone by then. They never even brought out hot towels (this is a Japanese place, right?) and the plates were dirty and we had to ask for new plates.

The chef was a waste. He asked about the orders and started to cook. The first minute were good with the fire he used to clean the grill and we were excited for the entertainment. Little did we know that this was the extent of the show. Really, that was it. My daughter was so sad that she even asked the guy to dance or sing.

He attempted to twirl and break an egg. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. He broke all three eggs on the grill while trying to catch them. He still stirred those broken eggs in the stir fried rice. When they were served, there were broken eggs in the food! My child could have been harmed by that. I told him there was egg in the rice and he said, "so sorry." But he still left the food on our plates and kept cooking. We were shocked, really shocked.

Then he tried to make an onion volcano and fire flew from his hand onto my daughter's lap. It was so dangerous and everyone at the table panicked. He then just slapped all the food on the grill, stirred it together and served it on the egg-shelled rice. He poured water on the grill, and walked away. The grill started smoking and the waitress came over to turn the grill off after the fumes got to be too much.

They still had the nerve to charge us full price for this mess. We didn't even eat the food and tried to talk to the waitress about the issue. She just said, "sorry."

It was so bad that I'm trying to get reimbursed from my credit card company. BEWARE!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

horrible service. food was horrible. walls are dirty and gross. cooks are messy and food flys everywhere while they cook. unhappy cooks, not fun experience. really, save yourself the trouble. no lunch menu for hibatchi. spent 25 for horrible food and service.

• 1 of 5 stars Food