“I like cats, however, no CAT(S) allowed around my food!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 340 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
“I like cats, however, no CAT(S) allowed around my food!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The layout is really nice. The ham biscuits and apple pie were YUMMY. I did not like the bruiswick stew. Things really went downhill at the end of my meal, when I saw a cat in the restaurant. Yes, a CAT!!! I love cats. I love all animals!!!! But, not around my food. All thumbs down!!! Needless to say, had I known before hand, I would not have eaten there. There is a sign posted behind the door. But that can only be seen on your way out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

US
“Our favorite spot for breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been coming to the Old Chickahominy House since I was a little girl. Not much has changed over the years, and that is a good thing. The food remains outstanding as does the excellent staff. It is alwasy full so making a reservation is suggested if you are a large group. However, if you don't call ahead you will enjoy the shopping filled with unique items and bits of Colonial history.

Miss Melinda's sourdough pancakes can not be beat. The plantation breakfast with Virginia ham, bacon and sausage with hot colonial biscuits, and eggs cooked to order is a favorite of all of us.

Of course, a visit at lunch provides the best Brunswick stew anywhere in VA. A slice of buttermilk pie or coconut pie may add pounds but it will also add lasting memories.

We love the staff and great store that is attached.

The only downer is that the colonial buildig is a bit snug so it's crammed for wheel chairs or large parties, but it can be done.

On our last visit our server accidently dropped my brekfast in my lap. I felt badly for her as it was clearly an accident. She said it was the first time in twenty years she had ever done that. I believe her too. It's noteworthy that the staff never seems to change as they are very happy there. I thought it would have been nice for the manager to at least offer to deduct something from our bill since I did have to go home to change as my clothes were runied for the day from the spill. They did not offer and I did not ask.

That aside, it was still a great meal and the service was outstanding as always.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great Breakfast, Great Pie and Great Shop for Gifts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have been to this place over 20 times and think it is a fun place to shop and a good place to eat. It is charming.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Falls Church, Virginia
“Favorite place to eat in Williamsburg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It's really hard to know where to begin............I love everything about the place (except that it is so popular that you almost always have to wait for a table). However, even waiting can be a fun experience since the gift shop is so full of interesting and unique merchandise. While waiting I have bought lamps for my bedroom, cookbooks, gifts etc. The prices are also good for the quality of the things that they have there.
Once seated in the dining room, the service is always quick, and very friendly. There is always sweet tea right away while you look over the menu. I always order the same thing, the "Miss Melinda's Special" which is a "salad", very old fashioned, pieces of canned fruit on a lettuce leaf with dressing. I found this charming the first time I ate there as it reminded me of my childhood when that was a "salad". Next are two fantastic ham biscuits and a cup of brunswick stew, followed by a serving of the best coconut pie in the world. Everything is home made and it shows. The chicken and dumplings are some of the best I have ever eaten. If you can't finish all the food (which is often) the wait staff are quick to offer a wrapper for your leftovers. Sweet tea refills keep coming.
My only regret about the Chickahominy House is that I have never been able to get there for breakfast which I hear is also fantastic! Maybe next time....

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Just Like Going Home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Hard to know where to begin on this review! I will choose to mention Melinda, the cat in residence. But of course she is usually sleeping and can't be disturbed! The food and dining room is comforting, welcoming, and satisfying! The gift shop is interesting and unique. When I visit my dearest friend in Williamsburg, we plan at least to go there at least twice. Charming and "just like home"...or better. Check it out!