“High pressure sales force” 4 of 5 stars

You added Williamsburg Plantation to your Saves list
Williamsburg Plantation
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   4870 Longhill Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
“High pressure sales force”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Overall, we liked the resort. We're not owners; we traded a time-share week. Convenient to reach, right off a major highway. The area is a unique destination : the "historic triangle" that includes Williamsburg, Jamestown & Yorktown. (My brain hurts from all the history that I observed in a week.) The grounds were well-kept. Plenty of amenities & activities at the resort, but no restaurants. Numerous restaurants in the area, ranging from burgers to fine dining. Good resort & area for families. Our unit was clean with everything in good shape. Lots of towels & linens. Comfortable beds. Quiet at night. Full kitchen facilities. TV, DVD, CD all present. A previous reviewer said that some of the older units looked like military barracks. I was in the military. Drove all around the grounds and did not see anything that resembled military housing, including the maintenance buildings. Now here's our only complaint: the highest high-pressure sales presentation we have ever experienced. My wife & I own several time-shares. We both agreed that we would not sit through another sales presentation because we have no intention of buying more weeks or points. When we checked in upon arrival, we were offerred a "reward" if we would tour the new units and then take part in a survey. We asked if there would be a sales presentation. We were told "no". We asked about how much time would be involved, and we were told there was no time commitment and we could leave if we were not interested. They flat-out LIED to us. There was no tour. There was no survey. It was nothing but a very high-pressure sales presentation. We kept saying "no" and they brought out a tougher sales person. We persisted with "no" and they brought out Ms. Knuckles. There more we refused, the lower the price became. They seemed desperate to sell their weeks. We persisted, and finally she gave up. If you've been to one of these things, you know that you don't get the "reward" if you don't stay until the end of the show. We're not naive; we own the equivalent of about eight weeks of time shares and have sat through many sales pitches. The reward makes it worth-while. However, don't take the bait unless you know what you're going to get into. And that's the end of this rant. We can recommend the resort for many reasons, and if you're interested in a time-share in Williamsburg, this seems like a good deal. We probably would have bought if we didn't already own so many others. Remember this: the more often you say no, the sweeter the deal gets.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
We sincerely appreciate your compliments and detailed overview regarding your recent stay at Williamsburg Plantation. We are glad that you liked the convenience of our location and the comfort of your accommodations. We’d like to apologize if the sales team detracted from your vacation experience in any way. We have passed along your comments to the sales manager for their review. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and this is certainly not the way that we’d like to be remembered. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

This is was the WORST experience that I have had with ANY company, let alone, a “resort”. I am the type of person that can usually make the best out of any situation, but this one was appalling. I was called by Williamsburg Plantations around 9:00 on a Sunday night by a lady named Tammy Martin for a promotion to tour the area on a 3 day 2 night “vacation” as long as I attended their 90 minute “no obligation” tour.

They asked me if I was married, engaged, or co-habitat with anyone and I explained yes, I live with my girl friend. They got superficially excited, and told me “Great, you can bring her along, as long as we can get her on a three way call” Tammy then explained that I will also be given a 4 day 3 night stay in Orlando, FL. As well as a $125.00 gift card, as a Thank You for coming to Williamsburg Plantations.

I was sure that this was a “Time Share” Presentation, but was never told that outright. I told Tammy that I didn’t know of 3 days this month that I could make it out to Williamsburg because of my busy schedule. She told me that wouldn’t be a problem. I could drive up to Williamsburg (4 HOURS AWAY) for just the 90 minute tour, and then they would give me a stipend for a 3 day 2 night Stay in wonderful Williamsburg, AND I will still get the stay in Orlando as well as the gift card.

I felt a little skeptical but I figured “why not” (BIG MISTAKE) and then she transferred me to a “booking agent” so I could schedule a visit. I was on hold for a little while, and someone picked up the phone. I don’t remember this lady’s name, but she said that all of her agents were busy, but she was their “manager” and that she was going to “personally help us with this”… This sounded like a bunch of Bull that they all say…

She then proceeded to be very pushy with her questions, and tried to act like she has known us for years. It seems that the “ABC’s” (Always Be Closing) of sales have been shoved deeply down her throat. While we were speaking with her, we expressed concern about when to schedule the 90 min tour. My girl friend was starting a job the very next day, and we weren’t sure what type of schedule she would have for her first month, knowing that the company she now works for are open on weekends. This lady said “Oh I had a friend that has worked there, (BS) and I’m sure that the first couple of weeks is just training, and you shouldn’t be working on the weekends.”

Now, we knew that she was lying and had no idea what she was talking about, but we thought that was a BOLD statement to make in order to close a sale. She could tell that we still weren’t confident, then sounding very worried that she was going to lose a sale she then said VERBATIM “In the event that (your girlfriend) can’t attend the tour, as long as we bill Richard’s (ME) credit card the $75 holding fee (to be refunded with a $75.00 gift card), then Richard can just drive up BY HIMSELF, and take the tour, since you aren’t married or engaged.”  That was EXACTLY what she said. So we agreed to attend the tour and scheduled it for the following Sunday. The next day we found out that my girl friend was going to indeed be working on Sunday, and we figured that I would go ahead and drive to Williamsburg alone (again, 4 HOURS ONE WAY, 8 HOURS TOTAL).

On Sunday (yesterday) I got up and set out for my long day of driving. I finally get there, 15 mins early, and while checking in, they asked where my girl friend was. I told them that she was unable to make it, but was told that since I billed the $75.00 refundable “holding” fee to MY credit card, that I would be able to attend the tour, and receive the additional benefits.

They then told me that if my girl friend couldn’t attend, then I would not be permitted to attend the tour. I explained to them that I was told over the phone that this WOULD NOT be a problem if she couldn’t attend, as long as I was there. They then said “I don’t know why you were told that.”  GREAT customer service answer.

They said “it says in your welcome packet that both of you have to attend” I told them that there was no welcome packet when I was charged the $75.00, I was approving the transaction based on what was told to me on the phone (an action I now regret). They then told me that there was nothing they could do, and said that I could reschedule. I then told them that there was NO WAY that I would be doing business with them after being treated in such a way. And I wanted the $75.00 returned to me, as well as the 125.00 to cover my gas of this 8 hour road trip. They refused, and I left for about a minute and came back in.

I then spoke with another person, she seemed to be somewhat of a manager. She was much nicer, and told me THE BEST they could do was refund the $75.00 onto a gift card. I told her that wouldn’t even cover my gas, and she said that is the only option they have at the moment. She then gave me a “comment” form, and she asked me to file a statement of what happened. I filled a 7 page statement expressing my disgust about the whole situation. The fact that I lied to just so this lady COULD MAKE A SALE. And the issue I have with filling out that comment section, is that I am sure no one is even going to read it. Why would they? If this is how they do business, why would they pay any attention to negative feedback?

I told them “isn’t your whole spiel that you are offering all this free to potential customers in the hopes that advertisements would be made via word-of-mouth” She said yes. I told her “this is going to be the most negative form of advertisement imaginable. I will tell everyone I know that is thinking of doing a time share, and express on every message board imaginable, the discontentment I have with your company.”

Clearly the lady I spoke with on the phone was out for blood once she started talking to me… All of these false promises that she spewed literally made me sick to my stomach. So after driving 4 hours to Wonderful Williamsburg, I was told “Sorry” and had to get right back in my car to drive another 4 angry hours back home. Another thing, My personal profession is in sales and after dealing with the lady over the phone, and observing the sales people while I was writing my complaint, Their sales people make used car salesmen look like seasoned Stock Brokers. All of the corny sales lingo was used, it looked like a bad movie.

The way they make sales are completely unethical, and a corrupt way of doing business. I genuinely pray for anyone that become prey to these vultures. I understand that Time Share selling is a hard business, but there are much better ways to make you sales than to COMPLETELY LIE to your potential clients.

So anyone considering doing one of these “Tours” please be aware, they are going to force you to make a decision right when you are on the phone, and please don’t trust anything they say. This may not be the case with everyone that works there, but this one experience left an extremely lasting impression on how this company does business. I will be reporting this issue to the Better Business Bureau. I will be calling the company demanding an explanation.

Please handle the Williamsburg Plantation with the utmost caution.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Thank you for your post. We apologize for any miscommunication you experienced with our staff. Tammy Martin, the original representative you spoke with, has since contacted your residence and compensated you for your time and gas due to the miscommunication. It is our goal that all of our guests have a pleasant experience with our company and we are truly sorry that we failed to achieve that goal with you. We hope in the future you will choose to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to prove that Williamsburg Plantation Resort is a great place to vacation while in Virginia.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Accommodations are more than adequate and well kept but getting long of tooth. Lighting in the units are by low watt bulbs and dim. Linens and towels, too, are getting old. All of this is generally acceptable, however the pools are in poor condition. The staff is pleasant but don't ask for maid service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post about the Williamsburg Plantation Resort located in beautiful, historic Williamsburg, Virginia. We are in the process of updating the facilities. Just recently, we have updated the flooring and have new furnishings in our spacious clubhouse. The fitness room has undergone a facelift, as well, with new cardio equipment. Thank you again, and we hope you decide to visit us another time on your next trip to Williamsburg.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Enjoyed our weekend stay.The Williamsburg Plantation was a wonderful delight for our trip - full kitchen (we had an A & B Unit), luxuriously large bathroom with jacuzzi tub & shower, warm fireplace and washer & dryer. We lost our hot water in one unit, the staff was very accommodating to get that repaired and extending our check out. We are looking forward to next years stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
We’re so glad to read that you enjoyed the amenities at The Williamsburg Plantation Resort and that the staff was accommodating. I will forward your comments to the resort so that the employees will know that their efforts were appreciated. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you next year!
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed at Williamsburg Plantation for 3 nights in March 2011. Check-in was a breeze and my unit was on the lower floor with a full kitchen,huge bathroom with jacuzzi (lots of towels are provided for free) and big living room with an electric fireplace. Everything was very clean and well stocked with needed kitchen supplies (paper towels, dish washing items, etc). The bedroom was large as well - but the linens could really use an update. The windows let in lots of natural light and the grounds were maintained beautifully. This is a time share resort, but I was never asked to attend any seminars, etc. It basically just acts as a "hotel". So - don't worry about being hassled by staff regarding this issue.

That being said, it would have all been a perfect stay had not I been placed below the loudest guest in the entire place. It appeared to me that hardly anyone was in this "compound" of a resort, but the staff felt it necessary to put me and the one other guest in the whole place in units directly together. Needless to say, I was jerked awake in the middle of the night many times by this guy overhead (stomping, slamming doors, etc). The next day, I complained at the front desk and they said they would call him and remind him that there is someone staying below him. I guess that phone call didn't go well because that afternoon I received a call from the front desk asking if I'd like to move to another unit. This would have meant me repacking everything (taking my groceries out of the fridge, etc) and moving somewhere else. I decided against it and boy, was I an idiot. I really should have moved to another unit.

Other than the rude guest above me, this place is nice. It has an indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, tennis courts, and nice patios/balconies in every unit. I really liked the little electric fireplace - it made things cozy and comfy.

There is NO FREE Wi Fi in your unit!! It's 9.99 a day!! Make sure you come prepared to check email on your cell-phone if you don't want to pay this outrageous amount of money for something that should be included with the room.

The location of this resort is good - you can get to almost any attraction or restaurant within a short drive. Overall, good stay. I just wish this place hadn't stuck me near such a jerk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thank you for providing us with your compliments and valuable feedback. We are happy that the resort and accommodations met your expectations and that you enjoyed the close proximity of the resort. We’re very sorry that the guests in the adjoining room detracted from your vacation experience. Unfortunately, that is something that we cannot control although we tried our best. We hope that despite that incident it won’t deter you from coming back to Williamsburg Plantation.
miflord
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Couldnt ask for more, we loved this place! Staff was very helpful and rooms were immaculate.Had an A & B unit. Just wish the washer/dryer were in the room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Williamsburg Plantation, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
Goshen, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Our family (2 adults, 2 teens and an 8-year old) needed to be able to have some "space" while vacationing in Williamsburg. We noticed that several establishments rose prices for the week after Christmas. We happened upon a GREAT deal through Orbitz for the 2-bedroom unit that we stayed in. We arrived much earlier than the official check-in time and were accomodated easily. We were worried about the "sales" pitch, but were not bothered once during our stay to take a tour. We were assigned to Unit 125, I am guessing in the "older" section. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the huge accomodations, as well as the cleanliness. Instead of the advertised king bed + queen, we had two twins and a queen. This worked out fine for our family. Our "electric" fireplace did not work and our unit did not contain an oven- only a plug-in stove top. Even though the wooded view out our bedroom window was pretty- you could hear the highway all night. During our stay, plenty of activities were offered for children and families. Overall, we would come back to the Williamsburg Plantations for a future stay in Williamsburg.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Williamsburg Plantation? Share your experiences!