“Not terrible, not great.” 3 of 5 stars

King's Creek Plantation Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Cottage Cove Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #42 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
San Francisco, California
“Not terrible, not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We exchanged using RCI for this week. The location is great for getting to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. The accommodations themselves are average compared to others where we have stayed. The construction of the units seemed cheap, the room layout was odd to accommodate combining with other units for a larger space, the dishwasher was loud, and there was no mid-week room service which we were used to from other timeshares.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
KingsCreekPlantation, Public Relations Manager at King's Creek Plantation Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear “Casjf,”

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At King’s Creek Plantation we strive to provide our Guests with the best possible service and accommodations. The layout of the units is designed to meet the diverse needs of our Owners and Guests while also complimenting our colonial surroundings. We sincerely apologize if the unit did not meet your expectations. As you may be aware, timeshare services differ from other hospitality services in that our services and amenities are much like “a home away from home”. So, unlike the quick turnaround time of a hotel stay, our fully appointed condos (full kitchens, living areas in addition to bedrooms/bathrooms) require an extended cleaning which is done prior to and at the end of each visit. A special request can certainly be considered by alerting our Front Desk/Guest Services staff. Please accept our assurance that your comments are very important to us and we are hopeful that you will visit us again.

If you have any further concerns or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Care office at 1-866-228-6796.

King’s Creek Plantation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

After reading so many mixed reviews on this property, I was a bit concern about booking our vacation here. We rented a two bedroom cottage June1 thru June4.We were traveling with daughter and husband. We arrived in Williamsburg at 12 pm (.Check in is at 4pm.)They allowed us to take care of the paper work and took my cell # and said they would call me when our cottage was ready. They called us at 2:30 pm and we check in early. When picking up our parking passes, we were told we needed to go to the sales presentation. When I told them I was not interested in it, I was not hassled or ask again. This was one of my big concerns, because no one wants to be hassled on vacation. Now as far as the accommodations they were fine. Our unit was clean but as others have said could uses some updating on the furniture. Our biggest complaint would be the bathrooms were very small and had no counter space. Also the 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds, which was not the best sleeping arrangement for 2 couples. The location of the property was great. Not close to the restaurants but close to all the parks. I would recommend staying here for the price and location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear “Lisa H,”

The satisfaction of all of our Guests and Owners is our priority. We appreciate hearing how we are doing and consider every comment seriously. We’re happy to hear that you had a smooth and early check in. And, we desire to make every effort to meet the unique needs of all of our Owners and Guests, so please let us know (when booking in the future) if you have specific requests for Queen and/or King-size beds; we will be more than happy to accommodate your needs as best we can. Thank you for entrusting us with your precious vacation time and we look forward to welcoming you again for your next stay.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We booked this resort as part of a golf package at a Golf Show in Pittsburgh in 2013. We had stayed at the condominium section 4 years prior with a good experience. This stay was totally different. The 2 bedroom cottage we were assigned was in need of severe updating from filthy bathroom fans, a deck that needed re-stained and sealed, a noisy toilet that constantly needed it's chain fixed and on our 2nd nite, the glass in the door to the deck shattered, thereby we weren't able to access the deck. Not a very good experience if the management wanted a customer to purchase. The personnel at the 800 number were non accommodating on all aspects of tour times, check in, and ticket vouchers. We definately voiced our concerns with managment and sales. Sorry about this experience, because we love the area. Won't be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Susiepgh,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We assure you that your concerns are our concerns and it is upsetting to us that after such great experiences in the past, we did not meet our usual high standards or your expectations. As you may know, we are in the process of implementing various enhancements to our Cottages and your feedback is both timely and instrumental in our process. However, we do recognize that regardless of any future plans to upgrade, the conditions you described are unusual and unacceptable. We sincerely apologize and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Please contact our Guest Services Manager at 757-345-6760 and allow us to address this directly and privately with you. We would like to regain your confidence and have another opportunity to serve you.

Oxford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Spent a week at this resort -- there are three sections (Estates, Cottages and Townes) and we were in the Cottages. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice our accommodations were. We were in a two bedroom, two bath unit which had a large kitchen and living room area. We were lucky enough to have a unit that had a walk out patio. The unit was very quiet but that could have been because it was before the "high" season. Would definitely go back to this resort. The only negative is that when you tell them you are not interested in attending a sales pitch to purchase a timeshare that they respect your wishes.

Room Tip: This resort is right next door to Water Country which is a plus if you have kids.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear "princess758,"

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your week-long stay in our Cottages! It is our goal to exceed expectations when you stay with us. A satisfied Guest often becomes one of our many loyal and satisfied Owners. That is why we want our Guests to always have an opportunity to make that transition comfortably. Our aim is to make “Ownership” an option and an opportunity, but only under your terms and not under pressure. Please continue to let us know how we are doing because there is always “room for improvement”. We look very forward to seeing you again soon!

Monroe, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Let me start by saying the units I have stayed in here when booking have been absolutely wonderful. There are some minor issues that can be an annoyances but you have that anywhere and nothing that would have prevented me staying again. However as an Owner I feel as though my patronage is not appreciated nor is my money well spent.

When we originally purchased with Kings Creek we were moved from a room upstairs when we said we were not interested in purchasing to a downstairs office with a complete liar of a salesman. He had a great pitch, had the right figures, made everything sound great and we bought. Now I understand this is what salesmen are supposed to do but they are not supposed to flat out lie. We purchased a yellow week we were assured would not be an issue to trade to a red week. Well it was an issue. We purchased a better unit in a red week figuring this would resolve our issues. Well we were wrong. Within 8 months of our purchase the points values changed on every unit except the one we purchased thereby devaluing our unit for trading within Kings Creek itself should we need additional space. We were told as I saw in a response from Kings Creek on this site that the Club Explorer was optional. Not true. The paperwork we were given to sign after the salesman told us this states specifically "We must pay all Owner Obligations as agreed, including any Mortgage, Maintenance Fee, and Club Explorer membership." When I received the bill and advised I wasn't interested in the Club Explorer I was told if I didn't pay the Club Explorer dues my reservation would be cancelled. Therefore NOT optional as stated. We still have nothing but problems every time we try to book and get told the time we want to book is unavailable. The pool at the estates that was supposed to be completed already is just a big hole in the ground. No usable pool. The grills are unmaintained which is such a shame. We were unable to light the grill because the igniter was no good and there was no grill lighter.

This year upon arrival my husband was told they did not have a reservation for him even though I had a confirmation email. I was unable to attend our annual family vacation as my daughter's prom was during the only week we were able to book and I did not find out until after the reservation was made. The pool I spoke of earlier that we have been looking so forward to is not complete and my husband was informed today it will be a 21 and over pool which we were not told when we purchased in the estates. There are no rules for smoking poolside posted. I don't care if someone wants to smoke as I am a former smoker but I do not want them doing it where my child is playing where we risk burns. He was told Universal Studios was putting in a location right down the street which I have been unable to confirm. I have written letters regarding my complains to which I get their form response "We are sorry, your feedback will be reviewed, we care about our owners."

Well I don't feel that they care about their owners. I feel that they don't care that I'm unhappy with things. I would like the issues resolved so this is the wonderful place to stay that it could be.

This resort could be wonderful. The pools are nice when you are able to enjoy them (when people aren't smoking right next to them or people aren't acting like animals and no one is there to correct it), the tennis courts, park, and mini golf are some of my sons favorite things to do when we visit. Everything you could want to do is nearby. Virginia Beach is a drive but still took less time to get there than going to the shore where I live in NY. I just wish someone would take an interest in fixing the issues instead of trying to sell me more stuff. I am not purchasing anything new until the previous problems have been addressed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear “Amanda L,”

Yes, the Resort is wonderful and as an Owner you should always be able to come and enjoy it as such! We are saddened and disappointed to hear of your concerns; we do not take matters like this lightly. You are a highly valued Owner and your satisfaction is very important to us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any incomplete information and/or frustrations you may have endured since your decision to become a Points Owner.

Points Ownership is absolutely an option. It is not required. However, once the decision is made to become a Points Owner, membership in Club Explore is required. Club Explore provides the unique services as well as manages the travel needs of our Points Owners. Points Ownership and Club Explore membership are bound together. Also, availability can be a challenge for any Owner, especially during peak season, due to high demand and advance planning. We’d like to provide some assistance!

May I have the chance to address your concerns thoroughly and directly; hopefully to your satisfaction? To that end, please allow me and my staff (Owner Services) an opportunity to assist you toward a successful Ownership experience; to include search assistance and a thorough review of how to maximize usage of your Club Explore/Points benefits. Having the accurate knowledge in any case will truly make the difference. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Crystal Gaskins
Manager, Owner Services
King’s Creek Plantation, 1-866-228-6796
Lloydminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I can't say enough about this resort. We stayed in the Townes which a townhouse. The Townes are on the same property as the "Estates" and the "Cottages" ,each having their own areas. We were in #107 and couldn't have been more comfortable. There were 4 adult women as the husbands couldn't get away. (or weren't asked to go) The 2 bedroom was plenty of room with all the amenities we are used to at home. The outdoor pool was our favorite but we also could have used the indoor pool. The property was easy to get around and 7 miles out of Williamsburg. We were made to feel right at home by the staff who were more than helpful and accommodating, They helped us plan our excursion into D.C. and were very helpful in suggesting what sights to see. The maintenance man "Red" is a great asset to the plantation . His stories are hilarious and refreshing. A "must " for this property is a GPS for your vehicle as there is so much forest and greenery around that you cannot go by landmarks easily and the highways are where you least expect them to be. Of coarse you must rent a vehicle at the airport. We ventured to the Premium Outlet Mall, Jamestown, Yorktown, Washington D.C., Virginia Beach and of coarse Colonial Williamsburg which is the attached to Williamsburg , all in one week. If you become bored with this area it will be your own fault. We found a terrific seafood restaurant by the name of Whaler's Co. on the way to Busch Gardens. We never got to Busch Gardens or the Water Country Park. I guess that will be saved for next time. A great time was had by all.

Room Tip: The condo we had was facing the pool. Easily accessible.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear “Lloydminster,”

We are thrilled to hear that you had such a delightful stay at King’s Creek in our wonderful Townes section! Our charming Townes units are ideal accommodations for your group and a perfect setting for bringing friends together to create and enjoy lasting memories. “Red” will be so excited to hear your positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

LETHBRIDGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed in the "Cottages" which are duplexes and so you only have one neighbor which makes it much quieter. Contrary to what some other reviews said, we heard very little from our neighbor, only when they were coming in or going out of our shared entry way. We stayed in a one bedroom unit and there was no unit above us. ( Some reviewers reported noise from their upstairs neighbors, so try asking for a unit where there is no one upstairs.) The bedrooms was large (king-size bed) as was the bathroom (separate tub and shower + his and hers sinks). There was a nice deck with shrubs around that provided privacy. The only negative factor was the small kitchen /dining/livingroom. There was very little preparation space but we managed. Also you had to walk through this combination room to get to the closet which would make it awkward if you had guests using the sleeper sofa other than your own kids. If you are going to Colonial Williamsburg buy tickets at the front desk as you can get a 3 day pass for only a little more than a 1 day ticket at the park.

Room Tip: If you are getting a 1BR cottage unit, ask for one that does not have anyone above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear “LETHBRIDGE,”

Thank you for your kind review. We truly appreciate insightful and detailed feedback from our Guests. We are happy to know that you felt at home and that you had such and enjoyable stay. For your next stay, you might consider staying at our Estates or Townes units. We have such a variety of accommodations that feature different amenities, from 1-4 bedrooms, some with jetted tubs and our larger units with 3.5 baths, all designed to satisfy the diverse needs and preferences of our Owners and Guests. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again next year!

King’s Creek Plantation

Been to King's Creek Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!