“Unsatisfied owner” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   191 Cottage Cove Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Monroe, New York
“Unsatisfied owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Let me start by saying the units I have stayed in here when booking have been absolutely wonderful. There are some minor issues that can be an annoyances but you have that anywhere and nothing that would have prevented me staying again. However as an Owner I feel as though my patronage is not appreciated nor is my money well spent.

When we originally purchased with Kings Creek we were moved from a room upstairs when we said we were not interested in purchasing to a downstairs office with a complete liar of a salesman. He had a great pitch, had the right figures, made everything sound great and we bought. Now I understand this is what salesmen are supposed to do but they are not supposed to flat out lie. We purchased a yellow week we were assured would not be an issue to trade to a red week. Well it was an issue. We purchased a better unit in a red week figuring this would resolve our issues. Well we were wrong. Within 8 months of our purchase the points values changed on every unit except the one we purchased thereby devaluing our unit for trading within Kings Creek itself should we need additional space. We were told as I saw in a response from Kings Creek on this site that the Club Explorer was optional. Not true. The paperwork we were given to sign after the salesman told us this states specifically "We must pay all Owner Obligations as agreed, including any Mortgage, Maintenance Fee, and Club Explorer membership." When I received the bill and advised I wasn't interested in the Club Explorer I was told if I didn't pay the Club Explorer dues my reservation would be cancelled. Therefore NOT optional as stated. We still have nothing but problems every time we try to book and get told the time we want to book is unavailable. The pool at the estates that was supposed to be completed already is just a big hole in the ground. No usable pool. The grills are unmaintained which is such a shame. We were unable to light the grill because the igniter was no good and there was no grill lighter.

This year upon arrival my husband was told they did not have a reservation for him even though I had a confirmation email. I was unable to attend our annual family vacation as my daughter's prom was during the only week we were able to book and I did not find out until after the reservation was made. The pool I spoke of earlier that we have been looking so forward to is not complete and my husband was informed today it will be a 21 and over pool which we were not told when we purchased in the estates. There are no rules for smoking poolside posted. I don't care if someone wants to smoke as I am a former smoker but I do not want them doing it where my child is playing where we risk burns. He was told Universal Studios was putting in a location right down the street which I have been unable to confirm. I have written letters regarding my complains to which I get their form response "We are sorry, your feedback will be reviewed, we care about our owners."

Well I don't feel that they care about their owners. I feel that they don't care that I'm unhappy with things. I would like the issues resolved so this is the wonderful place to stay that it could be.

This resort could be wonderful. The pools are nice when you are able to enjoy them (when people aren't smoking right next to them or people aren't acting like animals and no one is there to correct it), the tennis courts, park, and mini golf are some of my sons favorite things to do when we visit. Everything you could want to do is nearby. Virginia Beach is a drive but still took less time to get there than going to the shore where I live in NY. I just wish someone would take an interest in fixing the issues instead of trying to sell me more stuff. I am not purchasing anything new until the previous problems have been addressed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
KingsCreekPlantation, Public Relations Manager at King's Creek Plantation Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear “Amanda L,”

Yes, the Resort is wonderful and as an Owner you should always be able to come and enjoy it as such! We are saddened and disappointed to hear of your concerns; we do not take matters like this lightly. You are a highly valued Owner and your satisfaction is very important to us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any incomplete information and/or frustrations you may have endured since your decision to become a Points Owner.

Points Ownership is absolutely an option. It is not required. However, once the decision is made to become a Points Owner, membership in Club Explore is required. Club Explore provides the unique services as well as manages the travel needs of our Points Owners. Points Ownership and Club Explore membership are bound together. Also, availability can be a challenge for any Owner, especially during peak season, due to high demand and advance planning. We’d like to provide some assistance!

May I have the chance to address your concerns thoroughly and directly; hopefully to your satisfaction? To that end, please allow me and my staff (Owner Services) an opportunity to assist you toward a successful Ownership experience; to include search assistance and a thorough review of how to maximize usage of your Club Explore/Points benefits. Having the accurate knowledge in any case will truly make the difference. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Crystal Gaskins
Manager, Owner Services
King’s Creek Plantation, 1-866-228-6796

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lloydminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I can't say enough about this resort. We stayed in the Townes which a townhouse. The Townes are on the same property as the "Estates" and the "Cottages" ,each having their own areas. We were in #107 and couldn't have been more comfortable. There were 4 adult women as the husbands couldn't get away. (or weren't asked to go) The 2 bedroom was plenty of room with all the amenities we are used to at home. The outdoor pool was our favorite but we also could have used the indoor pool. The property was easy to get around and 7 miles out of Williamsburg. We were made to feel right at home by the staff who were more than helpful and accommodating, They helped us plan our excursion into D.C. and were very helpful in suggesting what sights to see. The maintenance man "Red" is a great asset to the plantation . His stories are hilarious and refreshing. A "must " for this property is a GPS for your vehicle as there is so much forest and greenery around that you cannot go by landmarks easily and the highways are where you least expect them to be. Of coarse you must rent a vehicle at the airport. We ventured to the Premium Outlet Mall, Jamestown, Yorktown, Washington D.C., Virginia Beach and of coarse Colonial Williamsburg which is the attached to Williamsburg , all in one week. If you become bored with this area it will be your own fault. We found a terrific seafood restaurant by the name of Whaler's Co. on the way to Busch Gardens. We never got to Busch Gardens or the Water Country Park. I guess that will be saved for next time. A great time was had by all.

Room Tip: The condo we had was facing the pool. Easily accessible.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear “Lloydminster,”

We are thrilled to hear that you had such a delightful stay at King’s Creek in our wonderful Townes section! Our charming Townes units are ideal accommodations for your group and a perfect setting for bringing friends together to create and enjoy lasting memories. “Red” will be so excited to hear your positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

LETHBRIDGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed in the "Cottages" which are duplexes and so you only have one neighbor which makes it much quieter. Contrary to what some other reviews said, we heard very little from our neighbor, only when they were coming in or going out of our shared entry way. We stayed in a one bedroom unit and there was no unit above us. ( Some reviewers reported noise from their upstairs neighbors, so try asking for a unit where there is no one upstairs.) The bedrooms was large (king-size bed) as was the bathroom (separate tub and shower + his and hers sinks). There was a nice deck with shrubs around that provided privacy. The only negative factor was the small kitchen /dining/livingroom. There was very little preparation space but we managed. Also you had to walk through this combination room to get to the closet which would make it awkward if you had guests using the sleeper sofa other than your own kids. If you are going to Colonial Williamsburg buy tickets at the front desk as you can get a 3 day pass for only a little more than a 1 day ticket at the park.

Room Tip: If you are getting a 1BR cottage unit, ask for one that does not have anyone above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear “LETHBRIDGE,”

Thank you for your kind review. We truly appreciate insightful and detailed feedback from our Guests. We are happy to know that you felt at home and that you had such and enjoyable stay. For your next stay, you might consider staying at our Estates or Townes units. We have such a variety of accommodations that feature different amenities, from 1-4 bedrooms, some with jetted tubs and our larger units with 3.5 baths, all designed to satisfy the diverse needs and preferences of our Owners and Guests. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again next year!

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had an RCI exchange into Kings Creek Plantation for the first week of May 2014. We stayed in a 3 bedroom 3 ½ bath unit in the Cottages section. It was a 1 & 2 bedroom lockout colonial style unit that was detached with a front porch and 2 really nice decks. All of the units in the Cottages section are the same.
The resort is in the process of doing facelifts on the units in the Cottages section as well as building additional units in other sections. The unit looked freshly painted, recently rebuilt decks and overall very clean and most importantly, “comfortable”…. The appliances were a bit dated, but all were clean and again, most importantly, “fully functioning”. There were sizable flat screen TVs in all 3 bedrooms and 1 in each of the living area of both lockouts. The only problem we had was an A/C problem in the 2 bedroom section of the unit. When we called maintenance to report the issue, we were told someone would be there shortly. Within 15 minutes, a gentleman arrived, diagnosis the problem, and explained the possible timeframe in which the A/C would be fixed or replaced. He was able to repair the unit and after 1 hour the A/C unit was repaired. (Thanks Mr. Tim).
The check-in process was quick and easy. Everyone with the resort was very helpful and courteous. The indoor pool area was very clean and offered changing rooms with lockers. We walked around throughout the resort and found clean well-kept grounds and fully equipped play grounds and outdoor pools. Although we were asked to attend a presentation, we were never pressured nor felt obligated to attend.
I would definitely recommend this resort and would certainly stay here again in the Cottages section.

Room Tip: We like the Cottage Style dethatched units over the townhouse type attached.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear “LouisianaCharlie,”

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive thoughts with us. Our goal is to make all of our Guests as comfortable as possible, and it sounds like we accomplished that. It was nice of you to notice our “look of fresh paint” and the fact that additional improvements are also underway. Your enjoyment is what is most important to us and we really appreciate the positive feedback. Tim and the HVAC team will be excited to hear your praise as well! We look very forward to seeing you again next year!

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We took advantage of the 3 night stay in a one bedroom condo for $99, in exchange for attending a "90 minute investment program"

Condo was perfect for 2 adults and our 9 year old son (slept on fold out sofa) Location was great and this property was very family friendly. For us, 3 nights was just right.

The 90 minute presentation turned into 2 hours. The sales person was very personable, and pointed out every possible positive to purchasing a time share. They focused a lot on using it as an exchange. There were some sales points I question, such as Williamsburg being the 3rd most popular destination in the US. The sales price dropped from around $60,000 for an estate to $9900, then after we repeatedly declined the price dropped to $4900 and as we were leaving we were given a $3900 offer. We didn't buy but had no regrets about our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Manville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is more of a timeshare rental than hotel, so I agree it would have been nice to see housekeeping occasionally, but I understand why we didn't. However, this place was clean, reasonably quiet and close to all attractions like Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, etc. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage, which had two floors, kitchen and living area on the bottom and bedrooms (each with their own bathroom attached) upstairs. While maybe not luxurious, I found the decor to be just as I expected, cute and cottage-like. Again I will stress the cleanliness of this place, which I find to be important when vacationing. Their was a family in the condo attached to ours and at night we could hear their tv on faintly, but it didn't bother us. The indoor pool was really great, but had to drive to the aquatic center to get there and back. Overall I would go back and recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We pulled up to the area and had great expecations, but after the first night we were really disappointed. We ended up getting a condo at the Townes. The condo was well equiped, and the rooms were big and spacious. But they are really poorly built and very dated. They had 3 tvs, but all of them were really small, even the one in the livingroom. The worse part is that we were on the first floor with a family with kids above us. We could hear every step they took. It sounded like we were under a bowling alley! We talked to the family and they assured us, that the kids were not jumping around. The fans in the bathroom sounded like a jet taking off and the showers sounded like a waterfall. If these are timeshares, I would never buy from there. I was told we ended up in the older area. Regardless, not at all pleased with accomodations.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Townes, try a different section.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to King's Creek Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!