“Bait and Switch” 2 of 5 stars

191 Cottage Cove Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Bait and Switch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and i were planning a weekend get away. we used getaway deals to book our trip fro advertised price of $179. Sounded good to us, so we booked it. Our card was charged $220. We called getaway and they told us that was the price was higher for that month. Discouraged but still wanting to go, we went. When we arrived our check-in was great, but when we got to our house it was more like a couple large closets and a large bathroom. We found that the pictures that were on the webside were different. While i was standing there discouaged, i sat on a hard red couch and looked up at the wall to see a 15 inch tv, and then looked over to the mini-kitchen. We wanted to check out, So we did, 15 minutes after check-in. We called getaway deals to find we would only get $71 back after our cancelation fee. Needless to say, I would never do business with either business again. We did find another great hotel across town where we could walk to several resturants, so we still had a great time. We were still out of almost $150 due to the great getaway deals.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KingsCreekPlantation, Owner at King's Creek Plantation Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
King’s Creek Plantation apologizes that you did get an opportunity to enjoy your stay with us and especially if you did not receive accurate information in advance about your accommodations. It sounds like you were in a 1 Bedroom Cottage, the smallest of our units since it is the “lock-out arm” of our 3 bedroom Cottage.

We offer three different kinds of units: Cottages, Estates, and Townes ranging from 1 to 4 Bedrooms, many floor plans are very spacious (our 2 Bedroom Townes unit is 1300 square feet) and our newest section, the Estates is the “luxurious” choice. Each accommodation offers an array of amenities and are quite different from one another so that our guest’s unique interests are met. We hope that you will consider another visit with these options in mind.

Getaway Deals is a vendor that can book reservations for King’s Creek Plantation so we will contact them to ensure that our standards and requirements are being met. We appreciate your feedback and invite you to contact us directly at 877-557-3529.

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We recently returned from a stay at this beautiful property. We had a two bed, two bath unit with a full kitchen and washer and dryer. There was plenty of space for everything, and everyone. Our unit was spacious and well appointed. Even though the weather didn't cooperate for a couple of days, that was fine. We just hunkered down by the fireplace and enjoyed a good book. Everyone we encountered whether it was on the property or out and about, was nice, pleasant and very helpful.

This property is centrally located to the sights, shopping and Historic Williamsburg. Nothing seemed to be more than a half hour away. Williamsburg is only 10 minutes from the property. This was a much needed and very relaxing vacation. I look forward to going back in the future.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
There is nothing like a good book on a rainy day while sharing a cozy Resort with family and friends. We hope you are able to come back and visit us again when the weather is much better. See you soon!
Pahrump, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our apt was very roomy. We had a one bedroom with a living room and kitchen. It is nice to have a place to keep food to cut down on the restaurant expences. The resort has an indoor pool, social and arts and crafts activities, and great staff that can give you all the info you need about williamsburg. They are very friendly and were responsive to our needs. I loved the place but the dishwasher is noisy, the washing machine is noisy (both located inside the apartment) The sofa is uncomfortable to sit on but the bed is terrific. So, I would stay again but suggest to the place to update things a bit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are in individual town homes.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KingsCreekPlantation, Owner at King's Creek Plantation Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We try to provide amenities and activities on site for all ages to enjoy, but if you find that any of your accommodations are not suitable to your needs please do not hesitate to contact the Front Desk so we may address your requests. We look forward to future visits, and hope that you choose to stay again with us sometime!
Fulton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I did a stay stay exchange thru Interval International for 4 days. A few days prior to my arrival, I was called by someone wanting to know my plans for my stay so they could get together a welcome package customized for me. Upon arrival, the check in process was quick. I was then directed to another desk to get my parking pass and welcome package. there was only one person at the desk (trying to get people to sign up for the timeshare presentation), so there was a wait for this. Once it was finally my turn, my parking pass was not done and I was just given a generic welcome package. So why the call prior to my arrival?

I stayed in the 1 bedroom studio cottages. The cottage was clean but somewhat dated. The bathroom was large but the kitchen/living/dining area was tiny. It is suppose to sleep 4 but only if 2 of those 4 are tiny kids would this be comfortable. The bedroom was roomy and bed comfortable. there was no closet in the bedroom but there was a dresser. The TV in the bedroom was no HDTV. The TV in the living space was a 20 inch and awkwardly placed above the fridge. This made watching TV interesting.

The grounds were nice. I liked the indoor pool/aquatic area. It is convenient to many attractions especially Busch Gardens.

I did sign up for the timeshare presentation. It was suppose to start at 9. When I got there prior to 9, there were a number of people waiting and no place to sit. It took time for the sales rep to come. It was a typical presentation. We toured the estate home. This was very nice and updated. I had already explained to the sales rep that I would not need a 4 bedroom and would prefer 1 or 2 bedroom. Once we got back to the sales center, he promptly presented the 4 bedroom property and that was all that was available. Needless to say I was not agreeable to this. He then went to get his manager who said that an lady had just traded in her cottage that he could sell me. I am like "really, this cottage just magically appeared. " By this time, I was really turned off. I stated I was not interested. I was then set upstairs to get my gift and had to speak with another lady who promptly dropped the price quoted to into half. After I still refused, she dropped again the price to a third of the original. If they had quoted that price initially I would have considered.

Overall the place was nice. If I would go back, I would stay in the estates.

Room Tip: Stay in the estates
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate your trust and business that you placed in us as a travel exchanger. We do recommend the Estates as an alternative if you are looking for a more luxurious stay. We thank you for your time to explore your opportunities with us at King’s Creek Plantation. Our sales rep was correct about the limited inventory we have available for purchase. Additionally, our inventory can change daily based on our current owner’s decisions to upgrade. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you travel with us again soon!
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed at a 3 bedroom cottage unit for 6 days, it was nothing fancy, a bit dated, beds were comfortable, location was good, very close to Busch Gardens & Water Country. The staffs are friendly & basically no complains. If I were to go back, I'd stay at the Estates only.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
The Estates await your next visit! They are our newest and most luxurious accommodations. The Estates boast granite counter tops, leather furnishings, Jacuzzi tubs and so much more. We hope to see you again soon!
Bolivia, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our expectations of the resort were met by a very pleasant two bedroom unit in the "townhouse" area. Clean rooms and comfortable seating in living area as well as an adjoining tv/sitting room. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils and dining ware and the dining table sat six. We were scheduled for a Friday timeshare presentation, but arrived Wednesday and were issued our gift tickets to Colonial Williamsburg and our golf vouchers early with our agreement that we would attend the presentation. My wife and I anticipated buying in at the resort for a share with a moderate package even before we arrived. The resort fulfilled all their promises in regard to the tickets and golf and we thoroughly enjoyed that part of the visit.
Arriving for our presentation, we were met immediately by our sales agent.We established a rapport while viewing pictures of the entire property and verified we were happy with the resort. The opportunity to use the "extra four weeks" time in the ICE resort system was explained and we enjoyed the smartboard presentation showing exchange properties. However the typical timeshare entrapment had begun. Signs in the resort had SOLD OUT signs on the Townhouse and Cottage properties with only the high end Estates supposedly available. For the entire first hour we were told there were no properties in both those areas available even though we were staying in the Townhouses and many other prospective buyers were also there. We were then escorted to the Estates homes and shown the entire house with penthouse facilities as well and constantly asked if we were interested in the entire Estate home at the highest premium price. The push had begun! Upon arriving back at the sales center, a second higher level sales rep was called over and again we were told of the advantages of the highest package, but when we did not show interest, we were "magically" told an older lady had just asked to trade up from the lower and mid-range property which would make a two bedroom townhome available. AMAZING!
Feeling as if we were treated as morons or simply another of the hundreds of potential clients I felt the typical timeshare sting once again. The offer sheet was removed immediately and the second agent rudely pointed out the offer was today only, so we said thank-you and offered a handshake which was typically ignored. They lost a definite sale and referrals at that moment.

Room Tip: If the cottages are available, upgrade to this level.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the accommodations here at King’s Creek Plantation. We are very sorry you felt that the resort presentation was less than credible. Due to the success of the sales team, the inventory at our Resort is indeed in short supply. We are currently expanding to meet the ever growing demands of our current Owners as well as new Guests. Your comments are appreciated and will serve to make us better. We hope you will visit us again.
Medford, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This resort is part of our timeshare, so we decided to stay for a long weekend and also visit Busch Gardens' Christmas Town. The rooms are comfortable but nothing luxurious, but the location is great and the exterior is pretty nice too. There is the option of BBQ on premise for food and Water Country is right next door, if you visit during the summer months. We couldn't use the pool or go to Water Country because we went in December 2012.

All in all, the resort was fine for what we needed to do and we would stay again because there were no issues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KingsCreekPlantation, Owner at King's Creek Plantation Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We are so happy that you had the opportunity to experience beautiful Christmas Town in Busch Gardens. We are only minutes away from Water Country and Busch Gardens. If you are looking for a luxurious accommodation we recommend you stay with us in our newest units, The Estates. We hope you are able to come back during the summer to enjoy all of the amenities available on and off the resort including Water Country USA.

Been to King's Creek Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!