“Great Room, but the Property...Ehh!” 3 of 5 stars

King's Creek Plantation Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Cottage Cove Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #46 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Room, but the Property...Ehh!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

There is so much I have to say about this place, I really don't know where to begin. I hoped I didn't have to write one of those long reviews, but there is so much to say, so sit back and enjoy a drink, because we had such an interesting experience we would hate for anyone else to endure.

To summarize, the room was outstanding, but if you are looking for a quiet relaxing place to stay.. Don't Bother Coming to This Place.

We stayed in a very clean two bedroom, two bath townhouse/condo with a full kitchen and washer / dryer. With a family of four during a week's trip, it really came in handy. The place came fully stocked with dishes, pots and utensils. Have to give the rental management credit as well. I asked for an updated place in a quiet section within walking distance to the pools, and that's what I got. It was great. The condo is extremely spacious and nicely decorated. The layout is also very comfortable. The rooms are separated from one another, each with their own bathrooms. There are two living areas and private entrance, so their was no dealing with noisy neighbors. Actually, we didn't hear anything at all. I LOVED IT!!!. The resort itself is very close by to everything. Water Country, JC Penny's, Target and a food store is right down the street. Busch Gardens is about two miles away and Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown is a very short and straight drive away.

In order to get a great price for your stay, you have to sit through a three hour tour and have someone try and sell you a timeshare. Oh wait, sorry, they like to call it a "rental opportunity". Yeah right! We met with Daniel, who was very nice and even gave us a tour of Colonial Williamsburg for free. When it came to sitting down and having them try to sell a two week "rental opportunity" for the grand total of $21,000.00, I said, forget it! Then he brought out TJ, who with his Rolex and $3,500.00 suit tried to tell me he was doing me a favor by not making a profit and offered me a price of $11,400.00 for a two week ownership. After I told TJ no. I got the most deaf wishing look you ever seen in your entire life then he just walked away. Without as much as a "Thank you for your time" or "Sorry we couldn't make a deal". Nope, he just walked away. Then we were rushed into a "secret room" for losers and offered a final deal to shell out $295.00 for a trial experence for one week. We walked away without paying a single dime and even Daniel wouldn't look at us. So Silly!!!

Ok, now for the property.... It's full of very unsavory and rude people who don't have an appreciation for nice things. After a long six hour drive, we parked in front of the check in building and were welcomed by a white mercedes benz with New York plates, blasting rap music with obcenities. As I checked in, I told the desk person who looked out and said "Oh, sorry about that". I immediately asked him if there was security along the resort. He said, no. What! No security! As you walk around the resort, that is absolutely clear. There are three pools along the resort. My children and I went to two of them. The first is a very large and what use to be a beautiful indoor pool. We found a small area to swim in between over 100 people, several of which were throwing a ball around that almost hit us twice and loud annoying music playing from three different boom boxes. As we swam, I kept finding pieces of chipped paint and lost items. We didn't stay very long. The second pool is also large and outdoors. This pool was invaded by two families who used it as their personal pool to entertain near by friends and family for the ENTIRE DAY. Did I mention there is no security to stop them. Really the only time you can enjoy the pools is from 8:00am until 12:00 noon. Then chaos happens.

Really the only amenditites we could use was the fitness center, art & craft classes and bike rental. I guess this group of people were not into being healthy and learning something new.

So if you do stay here, like Mexico, don't go into town. Stay in your room or stay out all day. Good Luck!!!

Room Tip: If you don't mind going through a time share tour, do it. You can't beat the price for what...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hey all take it from an owner. The rental units are small and you get what you pay for when it comes to those. The smaller ones are cleaner and nicer than any hotel and when you compare the size!!! As oppose to two double beds side by side I'll take the little one bedroom they showed me. I own a whole 3 Bedroom 10 person cottage and it trades excellent, for some really big units all over the world. The one bedroom everyone rents at the price of a hotel room, is my guest house. Families of four have loved to have their own bath, kitchen and privacy from master king to sofa pullout. My two bedroom other half of the home is nicer than the home i owned until I was about 28. For vacation at a price this place is tops!!! Not to mention I've traded to Marriott, Westin, Sheraton and others all over the world but have a far lower maintenance due every year.

Rehoboth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We arrived at Kings Creek after 14 hours of driving, so we were very tired and ready to get out of the car.

Check in was fairly smooth and quick although they make you go from one desk - actual check in - to another 5 feet away to get your "welcome" kit which consists of a map of how to get to your cottage (in our case) and local attractions/coupons etc plus the "Come to a sales meeting and get free gifts" speech. Was not interested in the sales pitch and since we had booked through a major travel site we we not required to go. Note - if you book directly with them you might have to go to get any promotional price advertised for non-owners. We said we would think about and just never called to book a time.

Our 2 bedroom cottage was great. I recall other reviews mentioning that these are not individual cottages and after reviewing the floorplans I thought I knew what they meant. Each of 3 different styles has 2 separate units. I didn't realize that each "house" was actually a duplex. Didn't cause us any problems since I think the other side was empty but we could hear the baby crying from the other unit on "our" side so if it was full might be noisier. Can hear the cars drigin by, door slams and people talking outside when in the living room since the parking spaces are very close to the buildings but it's not bad.

Beds - I had no problems but the "hole" in the king bed gave my husband back aches. Twin beds were ok.

A/C - worked great! Was a scorcher of a week when we visited - always cool although with only 1 thermostat getting the temparture right for the whole unit can take some practice.

Was a bit worried about the kitchen set up. I think only the Townes specifically says it has pots etc - well we did too. Silverware, plates, glasses etc for 6 plus a lot of the necessities for cooking - spatula, can opener, tongs, corkscrew, grater dish towles, pot holders etc. Other amenities included - some packets for the dishwasher and a small dishwash liquid for sink cleaning, bar soaps for each bathroom and 1 small box of Purex for the washing machine. Shampoo is thimble sized so don't count on that and bring your own.

Pools - one in the same building as check-in and we looked at the outside pool behind the "sample" sales cottages. Neither one impressed us but then we had already been to Water Country the day before and had passes for the week, so two small pools can't compare to that. If you didn't have another means of getting wet & cool probably would be ok. Indoor pool smelled like it had a lot of chemicals in it. I am a swimmer and my home town YMCA pool doesn't smell that strong.

Really enjoyed having a kitchen - saved a bit on the food budget by having simple breakfasts in, packed some lunches for being out and even made a lasgna casserole one morning while my sleepy family was getting ready. It was great to come back after being at the water park all day and just pop it into the oven before showering. By the time we were all clean and dry it was ready. Had hoped to try Boones BBQ but never got around to it.

Only suggestion would be to dedicate and label at least 1 parking space for each unit. A bit weird to have to park in front of another unit - no matter how close especially when there are porches and people are sitting on them! - when it's just us on our side (baby and family had checked out) and the 3 spots directly outside our unit are full. Cottage across the road was either a large party or had guests - one morning after parking next door the previous nightm saw a car pull in and a couple get their golf clubs out of the back and then cross the street. Noticed it was full in the immediate area on that side of the street so guess they ran out of room. Not a big deal but again, felt weird when we had to park in front of a different "house".

Only other minor problems wer the new paint smell and greasy footprints on the linoleum floors in bathrooms and kitchen.

Check out was easy. No bill since it was already paid. Worried about a possible resort fee but guess it was included in our quoted price. Just turned in the key cards and we were good to go.

We enjoyed our stay and if we travel to Williamsburg again I would definitely go back.

Side note - the speed limit inside the gate is 17 mph - we thought that was an odd number to pick versus the typical 15.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We found a great deal for a week at Kings Creek, however, it did come with the timeshare sales talk. We were pleasantly surprised and pleased that we were treated very well and didn't feel like scum when we did not make a purchase!! We stayed at a one-bedroom. It was clean. It was small, but really laid out nicely. It has a full kitchen, complete with washer/dryer, a front porch and a private pation. This property is rather hilly, but even though I have some limitations, I was not bothered by it. The location is so convenient to the attractions of the area..and it is EASY to find your way around. Maintenance was very good, we needed to have a light bulb replaced and they were very responsive and changed it within 15 minutes. We also need to have the gas replaced for the bbq, but they also did that quickly once we called it in. I think we would stay in the 2-bedroom on our next trip. We will definitely return. We liked this property.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We had a large family reunion (approx. 70 people) and arranged to have one night catered by Joe Boone's barbeque at the plantation. July was extremely hot and made it very difficult to hold our reunion outside. Joe was a great source of information to help us secure an area inside out of the heat. The food was wonderful but the hospitality shown by the staff was the icing on the cake. We certainly recommend this option for anyone visiting the plantation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
West Orange, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I read the reviews before I left and got nervous but took a chance. We stayed in the townes top unit near the pool which I requested for in April. The place was very nice, clean, no presuure with the sales and everything in the kitchen was there. No problems staff was fine. On Friday though a guest decided to have a family reunioning at the pool with 25-30 people. Took all the picnic area ,took over the family pool like a bunch of animals and took all the parking spots! I called downstairs 4 times and nothing was done. I felt like that guests family had a good time on my expenice and my family had to pay for it too. They were there from 5-9 so we go down at 9:15 to 10 the guard had the nerve to tell us we cant have glass bottles near the pool....I said where were you when the party was going on and the little kid keep pushing my son in the pool! He told me he was there. I dont think he was doing his job nor the front desk either. Horrbile

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

not sure what some of these really negative comments were about. It was not that bad. Our room was smaller than I anticipated but it was clean and the pool was steps away. The presentation was only an hour and no crazy sales person trying to hold us up. I still prefer a hotel but it was a great value for the money.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to King's Creek Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!