“Do not recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Williamsburg Central

You added Travelodge Williamsburg Central to your Saves list
Travelodge Williamsburg Central
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2225 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Captain John Smith Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 25%
Ranked #75 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
VA
“Do not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We just wanted a one night quick get away, so we stayed here because of its location and the price you couldn't beat. Upon arrival I had to wait for someone to come to the front desk for about 5 to 8 minutes. I had made my reservations on hotels.com so he was not able to look me up due to some glitch, so I basically had to do a whole new reservation upon check in. The parking lot was all but desserted. We got a queen size room overlooking the pool, which is February leads for a not so nice view. The room was dark and musty feeling. In order for us to seat at the desk to eat our dinner we had to rearrange things just to make room for you to sit and eat. The room was not very clean, however I did not see any bugs, just a general not so clean. It clearly is a dated hotel and could use some upgrades and a very detailed cleaning. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had stayed at economy hotels before, so I knew not to expect much... But this was the worst experience I have ever had. We walked into our room and a cockroach ran across the floor. Turned around to lock the door and the lock was broken. Went to turn on the lights and one was out. Went to the bathroom and the toilet wouldn't flush, shower was falling apart and dirty, and the soaps were from San Francisco Travelodge. The walls, floors, blankets were all stained. Needless to say we walked out and got a refund. Here's the part that made me write this review... The manager did not apologize, he told me I brought the cockroach in, I am a spoiled girl, and mocked the way I talk! He told me to shut up so that he doesn't lose HIS temper. (I was honestly extremely nice about the whole situation) On my way out I spotted a dead cockroach in the middle of his "lobby!" I went to take a picture to report it and he yells at me to put away my phone. I am a struggling college student and had been saving for this weekend getaway for months.. To top it off, there were sketchy people hanging around outside. I am very shocked that this place passed any kind of inspection.

• Stayed May 2014
Summersville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The motel itself is small but you have all the necessities you need. Stopped by to plan a stay for a large group, and chose this motel for the second time in a few years. You will not find a cleaner place in Williamsburg! The manager is a kind man, and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. Will definitely do business with him for years to come! Perfect location for school groups, top notch cleanliness, and each guest receives personalized service! Excellent convenient location next to many restaurants but not in major traffic areas. Overall a phenomenal experience with service and cleanliness. Highly recommend!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dayton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well if you have read my reviews of this hotel before you know that I've always given it high marks. Over the years we have spend many nights at this location and were always very pleased. So you say, what change my mind about this hotel... in the past we almost always got the same room, until our stay in August, 2013... The front desk couldn't find the key to room 169 this stay. We were given a different room and had our eyes open to "A DIRTY "room, and rude manager too. The sheets on 1 of the beds were full of dirty stains on the edges and than the remote for the TV didn't work. So I called the front desk and talked with MANAGER and it was like I was lying to him and he was VERY RUDE about it to me. This is the same man that I once thought of as a freind, since we came back everytime we came to Williamsburg no matter how much the cost difference for the same room during the on and off seasons. Well after the stay in August he lost a regular customer... I work hard for my money and I won't waste it on a DIRTY ROOM OR A RUDE MANAGER (OWNER)!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Low price, hard beds and harder pillows. Breakfast was waffles or stale cereal. Ice machine upstairs never worked, toilet clogged up, handle fell off toilet. If you just want a bed for the night it's ok, would not recommend a prolonged stay unless your back csn take it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We are seasons pass holders to Busch Gardens and we have had 6 different stays in Williamsburg hotels in the past year. We wanted to try a different chain as the previous chain has trouble with their internet. We need wifi for emails, facetime, etc. As I named this, I wanted to like this hotel!

Pluses
-The wifi certainly worked and worked well
-There is a fridge in the room
-There is a microwave in the room
-There is a safe in the room
-The room was relatively clean. Absolutely the bathtub was clean!

Minuses
It is rundown (we wouldn't have noticed all of the minuses if there were a few less. We would have seen them as OK but as one of our lists got longer, the other person's list got longer.)
- The electric outlets are from the 70's or 80's. Wiring that would normally be inside the wall was exterior.
- The wallpaper, bedspread, and curtains were from the 90's (I'm being generous). We talked about if they set aside one weekend's profits new bedspreads and wallpaper could easily be accomplished making this much more modern.
- We each heard the train. It must run directly behind the hotel. This would have been better if our son was with us as he LOVES trains. But, let's face it hearing trains from midnight to 7 am... this is a minus for nearly everyone. These were the times of night/morning we heard them running.)
- Weird people hanging out outside their room. We were OK with it but would NOT have been if our son was with us! They must know weird people are out because you had to be buzzed into the hotel at night.
-The clerk told us to park on the other side of the hotel near our room. This would have been fantastic advice if there were ANY parking over there. (Remember the weird scetchy people? Yeah. They were watching us as we were stuck in an overfilled lot and had to do an 8 point turn.)
-Bed was the worst thing either of us have ever slept on. We are both achy 2 days later.
-Breakfast! (This was the straw that broke the camel's back!) Let me tell you, breakfast was the worst downfall of all! EVERY hotel around has waffles for breakfast! EVERY HOTEL HAS THE SAME WAFFLEMAFFER! This onehad the wafflemaker as well but that was ALL! The breakfast in entirety was make your own waffle, two loaves of bread to make your own toast, coffee, OJ, a gallon of milk in a mini fridge, a tub of margarine out on the counter, syrup, corn flakes or fruit loops. There was NO fruit! There was no water! There were no donuts or danish! There were no yogurts! There was nothing more than a sign that ticked us off telling us to keep breakfast in the breakfast room. THIS IS THE WORST BREAKFAST IN THE AREA! Every other hotel has bananas or apples or something there. Every hotel has water! Not all in the area have hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc.; but, they are in Williamsburg and they are only $5 - 7 more a night to get that! (Think that through. When you divide $5 - 7 between the two of you in the room, a $2.5 - $3.5 breakfast that I want with bacon, eggs, fruit, water, yogurt, waffles, cereal, and muffins is so so so worth it!)
-I called ahead of time to ask about what was on the breakfast. The girl had no idea stating she had never set it up so she didn't know. I am sorry I gave her and the hotel benefit of the doubt!

We will try the chain again... But NEVER this location! It looked like there was a Travelodge up the road that I would try but not the one across from Yankee Candle!!!!

Room Tip: Go to a choice hotel chain... The wifi may be spoty, but at least the breakfast is dependable and t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Erie, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Overrun by minorities that enjoyed hanging out on the porches until 10-11 pm at night. The room felt dirty and musty. Its ok if you're looking for a cheap room, but I wouldn't recommend. Also, even though I had already paid for my room through a 3rd party website, they took my credit card number and said it was if I didn't return the key (it was a standard slide in door card key that hotels typically don't care if they get back)... a week later I had an unauthorized charge on my card for $900 at Home Depot in Atlanta, GA (I live in PA). I don't know for sure if this was connected, but I have a bad feeling it was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple