“All in All, A Good Deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Williamsburg Central

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Williamsburg Central to your Saves list
Travelodge Williamsburg Central
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2225 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Captain John Smith Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 1000 Points
Ranked #74 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Midlothian, Virginia
“All in All, A Good Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The room was clean (and believe me, I looked) & smelled fresh. There was a variety of pillows on the queen sized bed so we could use which kind made us most comfy. Bathroom was nice & roomy, clean, & the towels were soft, fluffy & smelled good. The room had chairs & a table for relaxing, the refrigerator chilled nicely, the air conditioner had the room good & cool in no time. Check in & out was easy, the gentleman behind the counter was pleasant. We were out early in the morning so didn't stay for breakfast or get to use the pool, but we could see that the pool looked clean. It's an older motel but it was good value for what we needed & I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It's centrally located, literally across the road from the Yankee Candle factory, close to everything!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

If you are a snob do not stay here. This is an older motel, but a great place to stay. The rooms are clean and bug free. The pool is nice and they have waffles for breakfast! I stayed here with my husband & 3 year old and we are planning to come back with family in a few weeks. You cannot beat this place for the price.

• Stayed July 2012
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I got a room for my family while they were visiting Williamsburg - and when I went to the room to check in on them, I found that they had bed bugs. The owner didn't seem too concerned - said he would move us and not charge. While we were waiting for him, I had taken a flashlight and examined the beds. Used q-tips, crumbs on the box spring - talk about unsanitary! We got out quick!

Danville, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The price was right but I am SO GLAD we only had to sleep there one night! Pillows hard as a rock! luckily we had our own in the car, a/c was unplugged when entered the room and thought it was an energy saving technique, but no it's just that that's the only way to turn it off, alarm clock unplugged as well and tried plugging it in, but it did not work at all!, I was the last one out of our family to take a shower and when I unfolded the last "clean" towel it had a dark black/brown smudge on it so I just reused my kids towels which seemed much cleaner eventhough they had already been used, tub plug was removed and for some reason laying behind the toilet - I certainly wasn't going to be the one to dig it out from there, night stand and dresser both had sticky spots and stains on them, and utility "trap door" beside one bed was half falling off. The continental breakfast was less than desirable so we went to Dunkin Donuts down the road. As I said the price was great but after staying, I saw why! And I suppose it worked for only having to stay one night (definitely couldn't have stayed longer!)as a stop over before continuing on our way to Outer Banks.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I take visits to Williamsburg once in 2-3 months. I have stayed in various motels in the same city but never found like this one until my last visit on Memorial weekend.
It was a great and enjoyable stay. I stayed for 4 days and never had a single doubt about the price and service. Clean rooms, convincing breakfast ( incl. waffles YYUUMMYY!!) and elegant location.
Starting from polite service from front desk to asking for a receipt at the end of fourth day..NO PROBLEMS

Read the review about the place before going over about bugs (but i had no choice) , i was amazed NO BUGS .. i found from the housekeeping staff that they have done treatments recently.

Also, its elegantly located opposite to Yankee Candle and Oliver Garden. Across the street are also Red Lobster and Carrabas.. If that's not enough..7-eleven is next door.

I would recommend this place to every visitor going to Williamsburg who wants to a room for best price and with simple and sober services. I AM COMING BACK TOOOOOOOOO..(;

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor near swimming pool. ROOM 123
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Travelodge Williamsburg Central, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for your review on your stay at the Travelodge Willimaburg central. We do our best to service alll of our guests. Please try us again on your next trip to Williamsburg, VA.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Travelodge this past Memorial Day weekend as well as a year ago. Both times we were pleased with the friendly and endearing manager, Gatu, as well as the quaint, but charming room. We are both world travelers and have stayed in a wide range of accomodations. We expected motel accomodations and that is what we received.

The motel is in an excellent location across the street from Olive Garden and Carrabba's and within walking distance of other restaurants. Moreover, the outlets and other shopping areas are a 5 min drive west, while the historic downtown is a quick 10 min drive east.

We had the same room both visits and were not disturbed by any neighbor's noise. We were not on the side near the train tracks, nor did we ever hear any train noise. The room's furnishings, appliances (coffee machine/refridgerator/ microwave), and bed were clean. The TV worked perfectly and there were no problems with getting hot water or water pressure. Our bathroom had no mold and the caulk around the tub and shower looked brand new. We very much like that there is an ice-machine on-site as we used the ice to keep our packed lunches cold for our Saturday and Sunday day trips.

While the beds could be more comfortable, the towels thicker, and the A/C unit quieter, our expectations were for a motel not a hotel. After reading the negative reviews, I am irked that people expect hotel-quality towels, bedding, and more from a budget motel. If you wanted thick towels, new mattressses, white-glove cleanliness, and a completely quiet room, go pay the 200+ for a hotel room. My boyfriend and I are happy to save the money and support a local family.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the second floor both times which may help reduce noise. If you want a thick ba...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Travelodge Williamsburg Central, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please try us again when you are in Williamsburg, VA.
feasterville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I received a free weekend for this hotel. I read the previous reviews and decided my wife and I would go anyway as we can usually make the best of whatever problems should come our way.
We were skeptical of the fact that it could not be as bad as some reviews made it sound.

Boy was I wrong!

Upon entering the room Friday afternoon, I closed the door, noting the fact that there was not a tight seal around the door. Daylight shined through around the top and side of the door.

I then noticed two dead roaches on the floor under the window while turning on the a/c. I forgot about the bugs because the a/c did not work. The unit was not plugged in. I tried to plug it into the 220-volt wall outlet and the wall outlet pushed into the wall. I gently pulled the receptacle out of the wall and plugged it in, after a few minutes, it only blew out warm air. I tried turning it off, only to understand why it was unplugged. It would not turn off. Therefore, I unplugged it, pulling the entire outlet totally from the wall box doing so. Long story short, they decided to replace the whole unit. Leaving the loose 220-volt outlet dangling within the wall box.

Even though the hotel website shows a king size bed with a couch with two end tables, the king rooms have two stiff chairs (with complimentary multiple cigarette burn holes) and a round table that if you move, you notice the two perfect matching iron burn spots in the carpet.

Next notable annoyance was the bathroom fan; it was so noisy I swore a helicopter was landing on the roof whenever we turned it on.

The non-skid matt permanently affixed to the bathtub looks as if it has been ready for a replacement since 1970.

I will not mention the mold spots in the caulk around the tub and wall tiles.

I also will not comment on the horrible tape and spackle job the length of the bed wall, I will say however if you are thinking of using the person who spackled and painted our hotel room, You are better off letting my dog repair your sheetrock. It would look a lot better.

In this hotel, having wallpaper hang off the wall in various spots around the room, must add ambience to the room I guess. As all walls had at least a corner dropping or separated from the wall.

There was a random bolt protruding from the ceiling down about two inches. Not sure why, but the nut and bolt were sprayed with the same popcorn as the rest of the ceiling, so it must have been there for a reason. Maybe it is holding the bed upstairs in place.

The wall where the bed was has the metal channel for hiding the electric to the wall-mounted lamps, but even though the channels are there, the wall mounted lamp cords were hanging off the wall and each cord is plugged into separate extension cords. Those extension cords go down and run in between the mattress and box spring until they reach the wall box located at the middle of the wall behind the head of the bed. Since this wall box is located dead center in the middle of the bed and the mattress is pushed right up against it, bending and crushing each of the extension cord plugs to the side.

To my dismay, it did get worse. Less then twenty feet behind the actual hotel building, NOT the property line, the building. There are train tracks. Long, Loud, rumbling freight trains make regular trips down these tracks. All Day and all nightlong they go.
Just when you think, you get used to the building shaking as if the train is in the room with you, a high-speed line will sneak through and shake and rattle the hell out of your room and be gone before you even knew what happened.
By the way, Those dead roaches from Friday, were still there Sunday morning when we left.

Room Tip: Days in down the street is where we're staying on our next trip. looks a lot nicer.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Williamsburg Central? Share your experiences!