“Great B&B in Colonial Williamsburg!” 5 of 5 stars

718 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #4 of 26 Williamsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas, United States
“Great B&B in Colonial Williamsburg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have always loved Colonial Williamsburg, and we were delighted and surprised when we found a B&B that allowed older children. The B&B even has a suite of two bedrooms with their own bathrooms that families can enjoy. They are joined by an entry hall, and all rooms and hall are closed behind a door, so you can have complete privacy from other guests and leave your bedroom doors open or closed.

The huge beds were more comfortable than ours at home, and the robes in the closets were a nice touch. The breakfasts were large and delicious, and there is a cereal option for less adventurous eaters.

The walk to Colonial Williamsburg was short enough even for our non-hiker children in the heat of summer.

The B&B was very comfortable and quiet, set in a garden-like setting. Debbie and John are very friendly and made us feel right at home. I definitely recommend this place for a romantic getaway or for a unique vacation with the family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Holly Springs, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time here. Meeting all the guests and the incredible hospitality that Debbie and John showed us was second to none. The food was top notch and the room was amazing. I booked this B&B as I was planning on proposing and wanted to take her someplace special. The owners set up a wonderful champagne breakfast for us the morning after the proposal in the library. We are now engaged and couldn't think of a better place to have been for this occasion. The FDR suite is one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. We definitley plan on coming back after we get married to celebrate and remember what a great time we had. If you are planning a trip to Williamsburg, DO NOT overlook Williamsburg White House. Thanks Debbie and John for everything!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Good size rooms, beautifully decorated. Comfortable bed. Separate large bathroom. Very clean and beautifully presented. Friendly staff, fantastic breakfasts. Dietary restrictions taken into consideration. Nice to meet other people at breakfast.
Within walking distance of Old Williamsburg. We enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lille, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

most things of the place are really great, but : you must have breakfast at one time every body together, strictly enforced, and if you have to leave early, you missed the breakfast, bad for you ! another thing is that the house is quite away of the city center and you need a car for everything. on the other hand, we had to make some laundry there and they explain us were to go.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to write your review! We are glad you were pleased with most things during your stay. Sorry you didn't care for breakfast being served at one time. That is how we have run our Inn for 12 years. It guarantees that our guests recieve a fresh, hot breakfast instead of food sitting in a warmer for an hour. You do have the option to sit at a table for 2 in the Library should you prefer to dine alone. We are located 6/10th of a mile from Merchant Square and usually most of our guests walk to the historic area but of course everyone's perception of walking distance is different. I have to note your title " A Bit Military Kind of House"...I take this as a compliment because here in the U.S., we are proud of our military as we come from a military family..so thank you! We hope if you ever get to the states again, you stop and visit Williamsburg.
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful three night/four day stay at this B&B and had an absolutely wonderful time. We hated to leave. The owners were warm and welcoming and the meals and desserts were wonderful. We will be back for sure!

Strongly recommend for anyone looking for a great B&B experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jefferson suite and loved it since it was somewhat separate from the main house. Be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

First, I live in Williamsburg and have driven past this B&B many times. This was my first stay at a B&B I have always wanted to stay there. Even though we only stayed over night, my best friend and I had an enjoyable stay (My friend lives in D.C and was there to attend a concert at Busch Gardens).
First, we were greeted my Debbie when we arrived Sunday after 3pm. I thought she was warm and inviting and even chatted with us for a brief moment. She explained everything from leaving the breakfast sheet in the box, knocking on the kitchen door if we needed anything, to locking the door when we leave. We did enjoy the wine and blueberry pastry(YUMMY!!!!!) The wine was so good we could have finished it! :) What was the name of the wine?
We then proceeded up to our room (The Lincoln Room). Wow!! I loved it. We had a king size bed. The carpet was very plush and clean. I loved the bathroom, which came with shampoo and LARGE soap. It was nice that my friend and I each had our own bathroom. The water pressure was wonderful in the bathroom.
We then proceeded to Busch Gardens. We got back around 10 pm. Brought fast food back for dinner. I had brought with me some snacks and sparking wine to enjoy for later in the evening. My best friend and I are in our late 30's so when we get together we stay up chatting and laughing until 2am !!! I only have one issue though. We wanted some ice to put in the ice bucket to chill our wine for later. I go downstairs to knock on the kitchen for ice. The lights were still on so I knocked, but the lights were quickly turned off. I waited and knocked again. Nobody ever came, so I left and went back up stairs. Told my friend about it and I told her maybe I should call (it was late around 11 pm). She thought it was late so we decided not to call. We remembered the ice bucket from downstairs, so we both went downstairs and took the ice out of that bucket and put it in ours.
Next morning, I was impressed with a WONDERFUL breakfast that Debbie had prepared. We were served with orange juice, a compote of strawberries, cantaloupe and blueberries, then our 3 egg omelet with a blueberry scone and fried potatoes. That was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had.
Finally, we went back up stairs to finish packing. We came back downstairs and John came to see us out. He gave us the receipt and chatted with us with for a little bit. All in all I had a wonderful time. The only issue I had was trying to get some ice. It met my expectations of what a B&B is all about. I really have nothing to compare it to since this was my first B&B. I would love to come back with my husband and stay in a different room. I would have loved to talk to Debbie more. I was really shocked by all the negative comments. Thank you so much Debbie and John!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
retiredrnvirginia, Owner at A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
We are so glad you had a good time during your stay with us. Sorry about the Ice issue, but I am glad you used the ice in the Reception Room. It was great having a "local" stay with us while enjoying an out of town guest. I am sure you enjoyed the "boyfriend" at Busch Gardens! Hope to see you again in the future. Debbie
Lake Lure, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

as a seasoned traveller, you instinctively know when a review is completely out of line with most others, that in all likelihood it's sour grapes. I try to read between the lines as well, and as a fellow
hospitality professional, I understand that you will simply not get it right with some guests. The vast majority,however, are a delight and that's why we will continue to stay only at B&B's where interaction with other guests is part of one's travel experience. The other is the Innkeeper(s).

We were parked in the space allocated to The Secretary of State, without being chased away, the door was opened and we were greeted in a most cordial fashionand our luggage was taken to the room and no tip expected. We were given most helpful advise on how to make the best of our limited time in Williamsburg and the fact that there was an opportunity for a late nightcap after returning from dinner was most appreciated. Breakfast was delightful and tasty and sufficient to face a long walk through the historic parts. The White House was a good find and we would recommend it to those of you who are looking stay in comfort and style.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly hope someday our travels bring us to your Inn! We are glad that you were happy with your stay. I know your stay was brief and hope someday your travels bring you back to the Williamburg area! Thanks again, Debbie

Been to A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!