“Had a Fantastic Time - recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 30%
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia
“Had a Fantastic Time - recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

okay - I will be honest - I was a little worried what the resort & rooms would look like after reading some of the reviews on this site. I was more than pleasantly surprised as my rental was a two bedroom condo with a kitchenette and I found the room to be clean (and I am clean freak) and spacious for the price that I paid. My two children (ages 3 and 6) spent 3 days 2 nights at the HPR and had a great time. The resort is conveniently located to restaurants, movie theater, and shopping. We are pretty active so my intention was never to sit in the room and watch TV - can do that at home so having a 19inch TV was a non-issue for us. We spent most of our time at Busch Gardens and surrounding areas. The indoor pool is a basic pool but my children are young and couldn't care less, they had a blast anyway. The washer and dryer inside our room was a god send to wash/dry wet bathing suits after swimming. I found the resort to be well kept, clean, and priced right. If you are looking for a resort such as the St. Regis or Four Seasons this is not the place but then again the resort is not charging 5 star accomodiation pricing. Have realistic expectations and I can ensure you that you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Like so many others who have commented on this property, I was nervous about what to expect from the Powhatan Plantation. This was a timeshare exchange for us and we planned to spend only part of the week here. I wish we'd stayed longer! The grounds of the resort are very well maintained and our kids loved the second floor unit. We had a long drive from Washington, DC and the staff did their best to get us checked in quickly. I did ask about getting a remodeled unit and they honored this request, though we had been slated for an older unit. The 2-bed, 2-bath unit had a really nice kitchen and comfortable beds. We were close to the clubhouse and the kids enjoyed time on the playground and in the pool. There was no free WiFi in the clubhouse restaurant, but the computers at the business center near reception worked just fine. Close to Busch Gardens and the historic area. Great supermarket just down the road. Overall, a great experience!

Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I'll first give the few good things about this "resort": The layout is nice for traveling with more than one family--we had first and second floor adjoining units, so it was easy to go back & forth. This was not only convenient, but necessary, since there were so many mechanical problems in both units--it became necessary for us to share appliances.

Which brings me to the bad...first, it took two hours to check in--and that's after driving for 13 hours with 5 children. They were nice enough, but why it took so long is beyond me. We had even phoned three weeks prior and then again the day of our arrival to ensure we would have adjoining units. They were totally perplexed as to how they could fix the situation...kind of like that Seinfeld episode about the car rental reservation...they can take the reservation, they just don't know what to do with it afterwards. Then, after all that, most of the keys issued wouldn't work in the lock. I would have written a much nastier review right then, but they charge $30 for internet service!

When we finally got in, the place was in dire need of a total renovation. The cabinet drawers hardly worked, the bathrooms had water damage & mold, our stove was broken, the upstairs dishwasher leaked, the coffee maker was broken, etc. We did phone maintenance about the stove and a nice man came over to check it out, but we decided it wasn't worth the hassle since we could use the one upstairs.

We were talked into attending a timeshare sales pitch for 1/2 off Busch Gardens tickets, and when they asked us why we weren't interested in buying into the Diamond Resort scheme, we laughed and pulled out our list of all the problems at Powhatan. Three salespeople then explained that Diamond did not want to purchase Powhatan, but got it as part of a package deal, and it's so yucky it should be torn down. We did see one of their few totally redone units and it is BEAUTIFUL, which made me even more angry that we were stuck in such a dump. They only give those units to Diamond owners. Interval should take this "resort" off their list until they do some very necessary upgrades (which, incidentally, does not mean simply slapping a slab of granite on 30 year old cabinets.)

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The room was somewhat nice. Nothing spectacular. We had an upstairs condo and I thought all the upstairs rooms had balcony's but ours did not. We were really looking forward to the balcony, so we were a little disappointed in that. The major disappoint was when I called the maintenance dept., because we heard a mouse in our dryer vent, and they said they would send someone right over. But I ended up waiting half a vacation day on them to show up, so I just called back around noon and told them not to come. The mouse finally left on its on.
The best part about the stay was the bed! They had the most comfortable bed I ever sleep in! It was wonderful! We also liked The Grill restaurant that was on site at the resort. And we liked that the hotel was gated. It made us feel safe that they checked every car that came in. The resort also has a tour bus that comes and picks guest up on Tuesdays for a tour to Washington DC, which was the highlight of our trip. It is an all day tour and it cost $99 a person. It was well worth the money! Overall, I would give the Resort another chance, especially cause of the price. We only paid around $52 or $53 a night. It was definitely worth that. The Resort was also not far from Colonel Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. Also, Virgina Beach is only about and hour away. Virginia Beach is a great place to bring your pets. Everyone had dogs there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

This resort was under renovation a few years ago when we stayed here and we decided to try it again to see what a newly renovated resort would have. Needless to say I wish we would have gone to the resort down the street instead.

The Powhatan is in need of some serious attention now. We had no TV in the master suite, the TV in the living room was a 19" from the 80's, the paint job was horrible, missing spots, and neglecting others, the tile was a bland laminate that matched the walls causing an off-white overload. The furniture was probably the original furniture from before the "update" and was not comfortable at all.the fascia and soffits on several units including ours were ripped off and housing wildlife of various sorts. There was an ant colony of about 150 ants crawling out of the bathroom light. When we called the front desk and demanded a new room (after we found ants in the bed) they gave us the run around. When we finally got a new unit is was just as bad as the first one, thankfully there were no ants. I have heard that the Greensprings resort down the street is MUCH better, one thing is for sure, we will not be visiting the Powhatan ever again.

This trip has me considering getting rid of our timeshare with Diamond, to pay the amount of money we did and get lower quality than the Days Inn we stayed at on the ride out there leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Lima, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed at the historic Powhattan recently. First & foremost, the "fitness center" is a joke, and a poorly run one at that. Rooms were large in size, but old & outdated. Some rooms were being refurbished, but we had to deal with the broken hot tub, missing lightbulbs, no alarm clock & missing carafe from coffee maker. However, even with all of those condemnations, a simple call or two to the front desk fixed it. Geese & their feces seem to be a problem for the resort. I was not able to get to the resort easily, at first, but once accustomed to it, it was relatively easy. I'm under the assumption that the price was about right, according to my in-laws who paid for it, and the views of the property were nice. Once again, though, avoid the overcrowded & outdated indoor swimming hole and "weight room." Oh, and raquetball, though nice, is ridiculously hard to get in to and the facilities are ancient at best. Internet is AT&T hotspot... costs money.

olathe,ks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We had a wonderful experience with this hotel. We stayed in an upstairs unit with 2 bedrooms. It was a steep flight of steps but worth it. My kids loved that they were able to spread out and have privacy. This unit was perfect after a long day on the road and long day at Colonial Williamsburg. The unit had a washer/dryer and fully equiped kitchen.The unit came with everything we needed for a home away from home. We had an extended vacation in Washington D.C., Lexington, and Williamsburg. This was absolutely our favorite hotel of the trip and both our teens gave it 2 very big thumbs up! Excellent Experience!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!