“Lots of green space” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Seattle, WA
“Lots of green space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We spent a week at Powhatan and loved it. Our first room wasn't in a good location so they switched us to one by a lake. We had geese and ducks right outside our deck, loved it. This resort is in a great location and has a guard gate. Their restaurant has the best breakfasts! OMG, great eggs....

We shared a two bedroom, two bathroom condo with our friends. They own timeshare packets at different places through RCI.

The kitchen was nice as well as the furnishings and beds. I would recommend this resort to people going to Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Try to get a room off of one of the many lakes.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Let me start out by saying everyone we encountered at the Powhatan was earnest and helpful. That said, they were limited by the shortcomings of the Powhatan, of which there are many. Some might be a deal-breaker for those who 1) might be considering a Group-on discount but otherwise might stay somewhere else in the area or 2) are expecting a true "resort experience."

The worst of our own experience was AFTER the two-night (Group-on) stay we had last week. We live two and a half hours away and it wasn't until after we arrived home (isn't that always the way?) that I realized I left my children's clothes in the dryer and a DVD in the player in the room. I immediately phoned the next day and was told nothing had been turned in and since there was already someone else in the room and they do not do daily housekeeping (more on that later) they could not get in there to check. Suffice it to say I called everyday for four days to no avail. Finally, on the last day a nice lady in security went to the room personally to check. Alas, nothing in the dryer. Vanished. So, either the family in there stole my clothes (two brand new bathing suits & my son's favorite t-shirt) or housekeeping tossed them out unceremoniously. I realize the clothes were my responsibility, but the whole episode felt strange and unsettling. I didn't even ask about the DVD (the player in the room, by the way, was unworkable).

As pointed out before, there was no housekeeping at the so-called "resort." We came back from a full day at Busch Gardens to find the beds unmade and towels where we left them on the floor. My husband called, thinking we'd been overlooked. Nope, they said they only do housekeeping if you are staying for 8 days or more. They said this was pointed out on the web site. If it was, I did not see it, and I still don't.

We had a nice coffee pot in the kitchenette. I made a full pot then looked around for the cream and sugar. Nada. My husband walked all the way over to the main office where he was directed to the "general store." Creamers ten-cents apiece. The sugars were also for sale but the lady there must've been embarrassed because she gave him a bunch without charging him. Never, ever, in the cheapest/tackiest motels/hotels/inns I've ever stayed in have I ever been charged for the cream and sugar for my coffee. Suffice it to say there was no continental breakfast offered. We went to the Starbucks off site.

As for the food, we were looking forward to the Powhatan Kitchen, the more high-end restaurant with a deck overlooking the pond. We had eaten there for T-Day years before and there is still a sign advertising it on the street. Alas, it's been closed. Forever, apparently. The only option now (and without room service) is a bar-n-grill with typical bar fare and pretty limited. No outdoor seating, no ambiance to speak of. Basically, a bar with tables around.

The rooms were spacious and the kids were happy with the loft bedroom with two twin beds. As others have commented, there have been a lot of superficial updates but it's a dated place. There was a layer of dust on everything when we arrived as though we were the first people in there in a while. Second floor with no views, no deck, quite dark. They obviously put us in the Group-on section of the property -- 'you get what you pay for.' There is a reason they don't show you too many pictures of the exterior of the units, because it looks like a dated apartment complex circa 1990's. Check out was at 10 a.m.

What's ironic is they keep trying to pressure you with the time share business. Seriously?

The pluses? The outdoor pool was great for the kids as was the mini-golf. The staff is friendly and trying their best. They let us into our room Sunday earlier than the 4 p.m check in (a check-in time I hadn't encountered in a long while). The place is within easy driving distance to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. Just bring your own cream and sugar, be prepared to make your own beds and for goodness sake don't leave anything behind, because likely you will never see it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a deck/patio and if you are going to be using pool/fitness room/restaurant, ask...
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My stay here was excellent. Me and my family stayed here and it was phenomenal. My staff was friendly and well informative and there was many inside activities to participate in. Our villa was great and was very clean. It was open layout, had two spacious bedrooms, and two baths, and dining room table, and a balcony with additional eating space. I plan to come back in the future.

• Stayed June 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Nicely equipped rooms. Beautiful grounds. Very comfortable and close to Williamsburg. While pool was too busy for my liking and we didn't utilize the restaurant, our stay was very comfortable in a large, clean suite with all amenities of being at home.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I exchanged my timeshare, however they have hotel as well. Great rooms with kitchen, great pool area and activities every day. Movie nights at the pool, miniature golf, fishing and more. Good food out at the pool, close to all of the historic sites we wanted to visit, we drove to Monticello,, but could have arranged bus with the resort, just a few min to historic Williamsburg, Yorktown and more.... Fun vacation!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We spent a week here. We did not spend a lot of time here but when we did we enjoyed it very much.

We went to the pool two days and to the mini golf once. There is a separate pool area for the adults which was very nice because of the number of children.

The first pool day we had our grandkids so we stayed with them. The pool was nice but some of the kids were out of control with no supervision.

The next day we went to the adult pool BUT the kid pool was closed for two days because of a maintenance issue so all the kids were in the adult pool.

The hot tub was for 14 and older but there was a baby in a diaper wearing a little inner tube. Mom was so proud. There were several other children as well. Fortunately, we had a hot tub as part of the room package. We used it daily.

The miniature golf course was very nice. The grounds are spectacular.

The business center printers did not work the second day. So we had to stand in line at the main desk to get printouts.

Overall, the time we did spend here we enjoyed. The rooms were very nice. We were on the first floor so the noise from the second floor was distracting at times because you can hear just about everything.

Room Tip: Go for the 2 bedroom deluxe for the hot tub.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

After seeing some reviews I was a bit scared to book at this resort. I took a chance and stayed here with my husband. I am so glad I made the choice to stay here. We had such a wonderful time. The property was beautiful and clean plus the rooms were comfortable and nice. The staff were very helpful, friendly and spoiled us! We will be back to this property in the future. Thank you for such a great trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!