“Good but could be better” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3601 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Special Price
Up to 40% off!
Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
“Good but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband took me and the kids there for mothers day weekend. Its our sixth time staying at the resort and although we enjoy it there are definitely things that need improving. We were told we were getting an updated unit but it looked like all the others. The tv's in bedrooms are outdated and the one remote had no batteries. My husband actually went out and bought some. Things like that should be checked between guests. The water was lukewarm at best and the master bath shower didnt work. My husband reported it but said they acted like they didnt care. We were horrified while still in bed to hear someone in the living room early in the morning. My husband went out to find housekeeping in the living room. That could've been a really embarrassing situation! We went to have dinner saturday evening and was told they were too behind and just couldnt cook any more food. Wth? Really? On a more positive note...my daughter and I went on the ghost tour and had a blast. The tour guide was awesome! The grounds are beautiful and the resort is close to everything. Will still come back to stay. Just hope they make some of the necessary changes.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

When I researched locations to stay while visiting Williamsburg, my search led me here. The reviews were mostly good but also had a few sketchy ones. I took a chance and booked it. My husband and I were not disappointed. The room was very nice as they are apartment-like. It had a nice kitchen, fireplace and rear balcony. I was only expecting one room with a queen size bed but was treated to 2 rooms with 2 full bathrooms. The master had a very nice king size bed and a large screen tv. The grounds were very nicely kept and had a wide variety of things to do (swimming, rec center, hiking and biking). Although my husband and I chose to do activities outside the resort, it was still a nice option just in case. When we checked in, we were treated with a welcome package and the concierge had some nice restaurants to recommend. The only thing that we did not like was that we were wrangled into attending a time-share program. They assess a $20 "deposit" (which is returned back to you when you attend) and then offer you a gift with your attendance. Beware! The concierge staff are very skilled at setting an appointment for you. Be brave and decline unless you're into the whole time-share routine. Other than that, our experience was very nice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for choosing to experience our resort firsthand. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations with our spacious, well furnished rooms. With an abundance of nature surrounding the area and our efforts to maintain a balance between modern services and a slice of history, from fishing to mini-golf to a ghost tour, there is always something to do when you visit. We hope the next time you visit us you will take advantage of some of these activities. Being that we are primarily a vacation ownership destination, our concierge does offer the ability to attend a presentation, usually in exchange for a gift. Generally, these presentations are not mandatory, and when a guest expresses their disinterest in attending, we do our best to not disturb them during their stay. We regret that did not wish to go to the presentation which you attended. We understand that not all of our guests are interested in vacation ownership, but appreciate you taking the time to learn more about us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed in Building 44 for 2 nights. The resort has beautiful grounds, very well taken care of, and our unit was spacious, clean and comfortable. The 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds, which may not be a couple's preference. Otherwise, we were satisfied with the condo and with the free wi-fi.

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We make great efforts to maintain the appearance of our resort, and appreciate your compliments. We have also been working on our Wi-Fi infrastructure and are switching to a new provider. This will allow us to provide free Wi-Fi services to all of our guests. We regret you might have not been satisfied by the sleeping arrangements in your room. We do offer two bedrooms with a king size bed in the master bedroom and a queen size bed in the second bedroom in our upstairs two bedrooms. We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back the next time you visit Williamsburg.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

**Timeshare trap**

My girlfriend and I, along with two other couples, recently stayed at the resort for a week in early May. Pulling onto the grounds we were pleasantly greeted with a sprawling property and pleasant landscape; the geese, the ducks, the fountains in ponds, the fife and drum.

Upon check in, we entered the front desk area and were pleasantly greeted and assigned our building and unit number. However, after getting keys, parking passes, and directions, we were then urged to see the concierge for a welcome package.

THIS IS WHERE TO WATCH. The welcome package is a bag of things to do, some local coupons, and a guide book, BUT it is also where you will be require to submit a time for a timeshare presentation.

My group and I did not want a timeshare, we wanted a week of relaxation and fun. Upon arrival I kindly told the concierge that I was not interested and was simply shown the list of "gifts" I get for my 90- minute attendance. Finally I agreed to an afternoon session (the day after arrival they attempted to put me in a 9am meeting? Excuse me??), however I had no intention of going. Apparently "no" is not an acceptable answer. "We will call you if you don't call us," came out as a threat more than a kind reminder.

And call they did....

Repeated phone calls to the unit for the first four days of our trip as late as 10pm. It was as if they knew when we arrived back on the property and called just as we entered. They would call while cooking, and eating dinner, they would call with different tactics.

THE WORST, were the SEVEN calls to my personal cell from a Florida number, a number tagged for timeshare spamming online, up until my last day of stay. Sometimes twice in an hour.

Timeshare hassle aside; the units were clean, but had the feel of a large hotel room, which was fine. Carpet, furniture, art, etc. screamed hotel. The beds felt a little less than queen size; I am 5'10" and my feet hung off the bed and it felt as though my girlfriend and I had to wrestle for real estate and sheets.

The back porch furniture was tarnished and dirty. I know it is early in the season and it only takes a few wet paper towels to clean them off, but then again, it only takes a few wet paper towels to clean it off...

Oh, how about the WiFi? This is archaic at best. Internet WiFi is $6.99/day/device or $21.99/day/device. Seriously? In 2014 I have to buy Wifi access for my phone, laptop, and Kindle? I understand a flat unit fee for the week, but my three- bedroom unit had six people and six smartphones; in order for us to use our cell phones alone on WiFi, it would have cost $132!

Instead we used the spotty cell service and dealt. It would have been nice to look up places to go on a legitimately sized device with a legitimate connection, but we made a game out of it, seeing who's phone got the best signal first.

The grille provided excellent breakfast at a reasonable price, but good luck getting lunch on grounds on a Wednesday. No food between 11am and 5pm aside from the weekends.

If you want a quiet week or weekend away give it a shot, or look for any of the other places in the area. Williamsburg is fun, but it is limited to it's actual necessity for entertainment. The weather is enough to enjoy the day, and venture here and there to the area attractions; after the colony of course!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed in building 77 the night of May 3rd. The building was not completely full, and to my untrained ears that night, we were the only ones interested in sleeping. Banging, loud music, smoking in my foyer led to my first of several calls to the front (Ali?) desk. Security visits resulted in only minutes of reprieve with the party, and my final phone call, ending at 4 AM.

Being presented a bill for $145 for 2 1/2 hours sleep (Early volleyball tournament) was a little galling so we spoke with management. Jessica at the front desk forwarded our concerns to the manager Fulley who gave us $20 off our bill. When my wife questioned the break on the price as patronizing, she was told that there was not enough complaint calls from others in the building.

Am I to assume that had more revelers called to complain, my concerns would have been somehow validated? Not sure what was meant by that.

The facilities here are reasonable, my room was recently updated, activities management folks were top notch. Front desk managemen/Security, however, has insured that we will not be staying at this property, nor ANY Diamond Resorts property ever.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
While we are pleased that there were aspects of your stay here that did prove to be worthy of your appreciation, we are saddened to read that you felt we did not address your concerns to your satisfaction. Our Security team immediately responded and asked the boisterous guests to quiet down. Security received another call later in the morning, but the team could not locate the source of the disturbance. We had high hopes that the complimentary upgrade you received upon arrival (due to availability permitting) and compensation that was offered to make amends for the unrelenting noise would contribute to changing your impressions of our commitment to providing our guests with an unsurpassable guest experience. We assure you we want to be attentive and sensitive to your needs. If you do decide give us another chance and stay with us again in the future, we assure you that that it will be more memorable.
York, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed in the Powhatan 2 times before several years ago. When I arrived I ask for a renovated room. The person checking me in changed my original room and said he found me "a more renovated room".

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the lower level. I will start with the positives. The room was very clean, quiet and lots of room. The beds were comfortable and loved the big pillows. The cards to enter rooms and enter the resort were nice. Just had to hold them up to enter. We had a flat screen TV in the living room, although a little disappointed that only some of the channels were in HD. The TV in the main bedroom was not a flat screen. In 2014 when you stay somewhere you should only see flat screen TV's. The furniture, curtains, pictures, counter tops and cabinets need updated. The furniture did not match. Wi Fi should be free of charge. The room off the bedroom is basically wasted space. I believe they used too have hot tubs in the space, but took them out.

The grounds are beautiful and we loved the pools. The outdoor pools were open, a little cold but very nice. Indoor pool was nice, chlorine was a little strong.

What can make this place a 5?
* Updated furniture, counter tops, cabinets, pictures and curtains.
* Free Wi Fi (technology is a big deal and people don't want to pay to use their devices)
* Flat Screen TV'S
*Gas grills instead of charcoal.

There is a great deal of potential at this place. Hopefully when the renovations are complete it can move up to a 5 rating.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was nervous reading all the negative reviews of this resort but saw that there were some people that were happy with it so I gave it a shot. The deal was too good to give up. Upon arrival I did what other suggested. I asked for an updated unit. The front desk confirmed that my unit was updated and was renovated. I was excited. Immediately after checking in they will ask you to go to the concierge desk to pick up your welcome packet. I did what other suggested and told the staff that I would pick up the welcome packet tomorrow. Had no problem with the timeshare solicitation. They call everyday to remind me to pick up the welcome packet, other than that we were left alone.

Upon going to our rooms I was disappointment. I got the outdated unit!!! Walking into the unit it has a moldy smell to it. I called front desk and would asked to see if they had another room for me. They told to call back in the morning to talk to the manager. Staff asked me what was wrong with the room. I told them about the smell and the outdated furniture and appliances. Told them it was not what I expected. Their website has a different picture and thought I would of have a room similar to that picture. I checked in at 8:30 pm so around 10:30 pm they sent housekeeping to the unit. I was alarmed by the knocking and the door bell so late at night. We were about to go to sleep. Housekeeping staff came in and strayed the front entry for us. I'm thankful for staff to address my concern but I wish they would of asked me in advance if I would like someone to come or give me ahead notice. Thank goodness my husband was there with me. I was scared.

Next morning I called front desk and asked to talk to manager. Manager informed me that they didn't have any more rooms and my unit was updated a few years ago. You should see the outdated appliances! I should of asked when was it updated because it looks like it wasn't updated since the early 90's. She did asked if there was anything else she can do to make our experience better. I asked about the mattress since it was extremely firm for us. She said she will have someone take a look at it. No one called me to update me on the mattress and it looked like no checked on the mattress since the sheet was exactly how we left it in the morning. However, they did remember to call me about the welcome packet.

Front desk staff was friendly but not living up to the vision and mission the resort try to embody. My husband and I drove separate cars and they forgot to give me two parking passes when I checked in. So the next day I went to the front desk and requested another parking pass for his car. No one was behind me and the lobby was pretty empty. The front desk staff told me to go back to the front gate and request a parking pass from the security. A resort with excellent customer services would never done that to their customers. So I had to drive back to front gate to request a parking pass when she could of issue me another parking pass right there. Drove back to front gate and security guy gave me a sheet with his signature not like he needed to inspect the car or get the license plate number.

Overall, I was disappointment that my unit and their customer services. The room was not what I expected. I wish I would of known how it really look inside the unit I was renting so I would of spend more money for what I really wanted. The value of the unit was great. It was close to everything so the location was great as well. I can't find anything better for the space for my family. Perhaps I would be more specific and request for a "modernized unit". I saw other reviews and saw that some had it worst than I did so I can't complain too much. That is why I'm giving the resort a 3 stars vs. 1 star. I had a ok experience however they did not leave a good enough impression to come back to this resort when I'm back in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a modernize or newly renovated room. And skip the welcome package to avoid the timeshare pre...