“Skip This One” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Alpharetta, GA
“Skip This One”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Okay, I knew from TripAdvisor that this was a timeshare going in...but the pitch was major pressure. Even when you book through a reputable hotel site, you will spend the first part of your stay defending your decision to not sit through a 90-minute sales pitch while your children are playing video games supervised by total strangers. Then, they will call your room daily to discuss the matter further. The condo was very large and comfortable. However, it was not very clean. I mean, it was surface clean, but the walls were dirty, there was mold in the bathroom, hair on the floor, dried eggs on the spatulas...The previous tenants had left a bag of trash on the porch that sat for a couple of days until a skunk came by and distributed the contents of the bag around the patio. It took a visit to registration in the morning and a phone call that night (after no remedy) to have that addressed by housekeeping. The outdoor pools are great, but very crowded (at least the ones the kids can go to). The best part about the stay was having room to spread out and the neighborhood the "resort" is located in is excellent. Your money would be better-spent somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality, provide exceptional customer service, and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that our concierge staff’s behavior, along with condition of your accommodations had a negative impact on your stay. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership Resort, solicitation to attend a timeshare sales presentation is part of the check in process. Please be aware that attending a presentation is not mandatory. We will make sure to look into your complaint about the aggressiveness of our Concierge staff, as this type of behavior is not typical for our resort. It is very concerning to read that you your room was not prepared to meet your expectations, nor ours, and that your requests originally were not resolved in a timely manner. This will be dealt with appropriately with our Housekeeping staff. We hope you are willing to give us a second chance and stay at our resort again, as we are very confident that you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvements that have been made since your last stay. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
waynesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this resort for our vacation to the Williamsburg area. We were not disappointed in any way. We requested and received a second floor renovated unit that was ready early as we had driven in around 1pm. We were never hassled about the time share talk but it was mentioned at the initial check in. The unit was clean, comfortable and beds slept well. The bathrooms were some of the largest we have ever had and everything was supplied in the kitchen down to the salt and pepper and a mixer to make a birthday cake. The pool area was kept clean, towels provided and even had an adults only pool. There were several activities for the kids if you wanted to participate and free equipment for the adults (shuffleboard, tennis, etc). The mini-golf should be a little less expensive for a family ($5 per person) and therefore we chose not to participate in this. Overall, this was a great resort for a home away from home and would definitely not hesitate to stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Second floor 2 bedrooms, 1 with king and 1 with queen on lake with plenty of room-lakeside drive
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dale City, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My stay was May 25.

The customer service was above average with a very welcomed greeting. I was accomodate with an early check-in during a very busy time of the year. I booked through travelocity's last minute deals and had no problems.

Although I reserved a loft style unit, I was upgraded (not sure why) to a two bedroom with two huge full baths, a full kitchen with pots and pans with glassess and dinnerware along with silverware. There was a fireplace with a flatscreen above it. There is not a tv in the second room but that is a very minimal problem, definately not a deal breaker. The beds were very comfortable. The layout of this unit is great. I have no preference on how old the furniture is as long as it servies its purpose and is clean, inviting and accomodating which it was. The neighbors below me were a family reunion with the kids in the same unit below me and adults in the next door unit, suprisingly I heard absolutely nothing!

The only problem I did have is the smell in the room, which was not mold it was whatever the previous renters cooked...Thank goodness for the Febreeze I always have just in case.

There is plenty of activities in this resort for children. The pool outside is big and inviting. The customer service at the pool was amazing also.

I will be back, unless I get the urge to try-out something new.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very good, and we didn't even avail ourselves of all the on-site amenities. We all owe debt of gratitude to Diamond Resorts for preserving and updating the acreage. Location is fabulous for exploring Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, all within ten miles. Contractors lead a ghost tour (surcharge) and a historic tour of the Taliafero manor house (no charge), both interesting. Ghost tour will be especially loved by tweens and teens who are susceptible to that sort of thing, but all can enjoy and it's not too scary for younger ones. The on-site general store was out of milk on check in day, the only thing we needed from the store. Our unit overlooked the pond, and our afternoons were lightened by daily visits to our deck from ducks and geese begging for bread crumbs, and the mama duck with her ducklings waddling around the grass. Yes, the unit amenities are "typical"; but that's part of the timeshare experience and we're not complaining.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Waretown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family of five booked this Time Share Property as part of a last minute trip to Williamsburg. After checking in and getting directed to the concierge desk, we found ourselves in average accommodations. Diamond Properties say that they will be updating all of the units in January, 2014. If that is the case, then this property will probably rate higher. We had a two bedroom two bath ground floor unit in Building 86 (Room 398C). It was an end unit right on the pond and had a semi private deck which was nice. However, the floors were dirty, including multiple stains on the carpet and kitchen floors. Also, housekeeping did a poor job of cleaning the bathroom. My wife actually had to clean the tub (hair and other filth in the tube) before she gave my son a bath. Television channels were limited and no HBO or other Premium channels, let alone only two kids channels. Also, no free WiFi. WiFi access was $6.99/day $20.00 for three days and I forget what the weekly rate was. However, these fees were for FOR ONE DEVICE. I would try it again after it was updated, but only because of the space in the unit and the close proximity to everything in the area.

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked 2 bedroom condo for 5 nights. We arrived late in the evening, around 10pm due to traffic. They hotel did not have any info from Travelocity about us booking a room. At first I was told I'd have to print the email out because seeing it on my Iphone was not an option. Just a pain in the butt. After talking to a manager, he took my info and began to get us checked in. But 11:10 we were on our way to your room. I left info and they are suppose to reach out to Travelocity since I prepaid. Expect this review to go bad if I get double charged.

The room was decent and clean. The only issues I had was the living room furniture. The chairs were so dirty and had holes in them. I didn't even want to sit on them. The couch was not much better. The cushions were so old they didn't even support you. Very uncomfortable. I took the sheets in the closet for the couch bed and put them over the chairs and couch so we could sit on them all week. Seriously, I know they are redoing all these rooms, but that furniture was gross! Everything else in the room was fine and clean.

The weather was 90 plus all week so it was really hot. The pools were crowded and the water was pretty hot too. 85 degrees daily. Some of the crowd at the pool was kind of rowdy. I didn't fully enjoy myself with my kids as unsupervised kids running around, jumping on me, throwing balls around, and stuff any and every inflatable pool tool into it. The indoor pool was not nearly as bad. Our room was also really far from the pool, so we had to drive. They do not let you take towels from the hotel pool, so make sure you bring one if you drive so your car seats don't get wet.

The ground are kept nice and most of the staff we encountered was friendly. There was a few reckless employees driving around, running stop signs and cutting me off.

Overall, if the living room furniture was changed out, I'd probably stay here again.The price was not bad at all for what we got.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at Powhatan resort the week of July 15, 2013, and had a wonderful experience. We rented from an owner rather than the resort, but they couldn't be nicer. The condo was a little dated, but was clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and friendly. The pool area was clean and well staffed. The business center was convenient, but there are guests that will ruin anything. There are five PCs for the publics use, with a 30 minute limit. Naturally, some people don't feel the limit applied to them. Overall, a very nice experience. I did not attend a pitch for sale as I have no desire to own a time share...all you have to do is tell them you are no interested, but they are persistent with the requests. Also, the beds were wonderful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!