“Nowhere near my first stay.” 2 of 5 stars

The Historic Powhatan Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3601 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #42 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
“Nowhere near my first stay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I visited the historic Powhatan resort for a second time this year in June for my birthday. The experience was completely different from my first stay which was incredible. On this stay, we were not only unable to check in early, but we didn't even get to check in by check in time. When we got to the room, it was hot and muggy. Immediately I went to the thermostat to discover that the temperature controls don't even let me change the temperature to room temperature. Set on having a good birthday, I went to go crank up the hot-tub that i enjoyed just a few months earlier. Of course, I got this room because of the hot tub. The door was locked to the hot tub room from all direction. Then i noticed a sign saying it was under construction. I called to front desk to asked to be moved, but sadly the indicated that all rooms no longer had hot tub access. That's insane considering it's still in the room description and that's why I paid the money for that room. I was quite upset with this, but only said okay thanks to the guy at the front desk who less than cordially said yeah whatever. Fantastic. The bathroom had bugs and the dishes were dirty. Those things didn't bother me as much. Such a shame, it used to be a favorite place to stay, but I can't say I'm itching to return with my favorite feature gone.

Room Tip: Don't get a first floor one bedroom if you're doing it for the hottub =/
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Based on other reviews I was a little unsure, I was pleasantly surprised - the resort is great with indoor and outdoor pool, tennis, water features etc... the ground floor two bedroom we had was excellent clean and nice, even had a washer and dryer, and a hot tub spa in the back patio area. I was pleased with the resort and stay. just decide if you want to hear the timeshare "talk" - we opted out... had a great stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Powhatan for our anniversary. I booked the room through an online discount site, and for the price I was very pleased with the suite we received. It was supposed to be a one bedroom, but we ended up in a two bedroom, 2 bathroom suite, which was very nice. We had plenty of room, since it was just the two of us. The suite we were in was dated, nothing really new other than the flatscreen tv. (later we were told that the newly renovated rooms were reserved for owners) That being said, it was not run down either. Everything worked fine and was clean, so we really couldn't complain. Kitchen was stocked well enough to cook if you wanted to, but we didn't. Oh, and the hot tub was drained and not working, but I was not expecting to have a hot tub either, so not really a loss. The only real complaint I had about the suite itself was that we were on the ground floor, with other guests above us. We could hear them walking around on the floor, which was a little annoying, but that was really the only complaint. We really didn't do anything else at the resort itself, so can't comment on their other amenities, but it looked like the grounds were nice and they had a couple pools and walking areas.

I will say that if you stay here they will try to get you to attend a timeshare presentation. We were called in advance and asked about it, so I thought maybe we would not get asked upon arrival, but I was wrong. After checking in, they did try to get me to attend one of their promotions. I turned it down, and the girl was a little pushy, but after I told her a second time, she backed off. It's funny because after talking to my wife, we did end up attending so we could get free tickets to Williamsburg. But we have been through the presentations before and no how to say "No." I will say that if you attend, plan on at least 2 hours, maybe 2.5. The girl at the resort desk promised 90 minutes. When I showed that to the salesman at the presentation, he looked shocked. Even after showing him the flyer they had given me saying 90 minutes, and after he skipped taking us over to show us one of the renovated rooms, it still took us 2.25 hours till we left the presentation. But in the end we said no to their pitch and got our tickets (actually we got them in advance so we could visit Williamsburg the day before our TS presentation) and we got another 2 night free stay at the resort (or a few others around the country).

Overall I was pleased with our stay, just be prepared for them to ask you to attend the timeshare presentation, and don't go if you can't say no to a mildly pressured timeshare pitch.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here with my mother, sister, eight year old nephew and my almost two year old son. It was the perfect size for us. We had a two bedroom unit that was upstairs. I would have definitely preferred a downstairs unit because my son was obsessed with going up and down the stairs and not having a gate, i was a bit stressed. So if you are traveling with little ones, I'd ask for a bottom unit. The two bedroom units have two bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, deck and laundry in the unit. It was clean and a fully stocked (pots/glasses/plates/silverware/coffee maker) kitchen. The beds were comfortable and plenty of pillows for everyone. My mom was stuck on the pull out couch but she said it was pretty comfortable.
The resort is being renovated and there were definitely a few things in our unit that needed to be fixed. The microwave door was broken at the bottom. Looked like someone had tried to glue it back on, but it came undone as soon as i pulled the door open :( The bathroom towel rod broke off as i attempted to hang my towel on it. The shower floor was very slippery, but clean. The second bathroom had a huge tub.
Our unit was located very close to the pool which i was so happy because some of the units are very very far away. It can be noisy at the pool, but we didn't hear any of that in our unit.
The pool was great. There was an adult only pool, two for teenagers and one for just babies. My son loved the baby pool. I think it would be better to have more shade for the baby pool, but it was clean. They do offer towels, but you have to provide your unit number in order to get one. There is also mini golf ($4) a rec center with indoor pool and game room. We walked the grounds and it is a very pretty resort.
We really enjoyed our stay and would stay again. It is very close to grocery stores, gas stations, Target and plenty of restaurants. It took us about 20 mins to get to Busch Gardens. That, in my opinion, was great.
Overall, we had a great stay. The unit was clean and spacious.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit near the pool. Ask for a renovated unit. Bottom unit if you have small kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
We are pleased to read that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort and that the appointment and the size of your apartment was to your satisfaction. As you have accurately noted, are currently undergoing a refurbishment and issues like ones listed by you will not be a problem for much longer, however, we are of course sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are glad to learn that you do intend to visit us in the future and we are looking forward to seeing you again!
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here on an RCI certificate in mid-March very nice place great location not very touristy at all. It’s set back in a neighborhood area by itself. The resort is very large but the way it’s laid out you feel very secluded from all the other units. The entrance area is fabulous with a long drive and the historic house at the end with ponds on both sides then you branch out into the different streets were the buildings are. The units are not new but very modern with nice furniture with granite counter tops and flat screen TVs with some of the best beds and liens I have seen on any vacation. The units are steeped against each other so they seem very private. We stayed in an upstairs unit and were very happy. The unit was clean especially in the bath area which is a big one for me.
Major shopping was minutes from the resort and all the historic stuff less than 10 minutes. Virginia Beach is about an hour away and D.C is about 2 ½ hours. The resort has fabulous grounds and a 17th century house built on it which is open to tour whenever you want. One of the favorite things at the resort was the nightly drum and fief players’ …very patriotic. They played around dusk for about an hour.

Room Tip: For us when we came to this area for the historic attractions this resort just seemed to add to it a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Louisville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we drove on to the grounds we thought we were in for a rare treat, but we were terribly wrong, which was proven out when we stood in an extremely long line for check in. After having driven 11 hours to get there for a weekend family reunion, we were anxious to get into the room and relax a bit. After 30 minutes of standing in line and being asked our names at least three times, and watching family after family ahead of us go up to the counter and get their rooms, it was finally our turn. But we were not taken up to the counter, which was a red flat. Instead we were taken to another room where there were card tables set up and sandwiches outlining the tables. I said to my husband, "I don't like the looks of this." As it turns out, I was right to be concerned. We sat down and were immediately immersed into a timeshare presentation. Even with emphatic "nos" it took another 30 minutes for the lady to get the point. Then she became exceptionally rude and practically threw our paperwork at us. We got our keys and then she argued with us that we were not permitted to have our family there because she, personally, didn't know about it. Even with our confirmation number stating how many were staying, she seemed to think it was a personal slight.

We got through that and finally got our keys and a map to the location of the condo. As it turns out, we were put in the very last building on the grounds. The further away we got from the reservation building, the more run down the grounds became, the worst groundskeeping being our location. Cobwebs decorated the front porch. Spiders were crawling all over. There was crime scene tape cordoning off a condo across from us. Our front lock looked as if it had been jimmied multiple times. The roof looked as if it needed replacing.

We opened the door and were greeted with a smell of mold mixed with cigarette smoke. The carpet was very dated and probably hadn't been replaced in years. We walked up the stairs with great trepidation and as it turns out, we probably should have run back out the door before we got to the top of the stairs. The walls needed paint. The tile surrounding the fireplace was cracked. The porch furniture was so filthy there was no way to sit on it without taking the dirt away on our clothing. The wooden rail surrounding the balcony hadn't been painted in years and was rotted in places. The shelving in some of the closets was only shored up on three sides and almost falling down. The tile in the bathrooms was cracked and needed new grout. The pots and pans in the kitchenette hadn't been replaced in years, the teflon practically scraped out of the bottom. Several pieces of plastic kitchen utensils had melted to the point of being useless.

I think sleeping outside would have been cleaner and more comfortable.

While I appreciate that the place is an historical landmark, that doesn't mean the interior and exterior upkeep should date back that far. Our refusal to engage in a timeshare activity the minute we walked in the door should not have profiled us as lesser individuals deserving of inferior accommodations if, indeed, this is what they did. You'll never convince me it was anything but that.

The nicest and most helpful individuals in the place were the security guards at the front gate. I only wish they had told us to run as fast as we could in the opposite direction.

Although this rat trap timeshare is conveniently located to Williamsburg, save yourselves and stay somewhere else. It isn't worth it.

Room Tip: Sit through a timeshare presentation. You may get better accommodations.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We would be most interested to hear a little more and which room you stayed in. As you know, we are an older property, but we have a very strong commitment to keep our apartments up-to-date and we go through an extensive and well-thought restoration programme in order to ensure that The Historic Powhatan Resort is always presented at its best and in its full glory - we would like to take this opportunity to clarify that the “crime tape” you are referring to was likely the caution tape around a section of rooms we are working on at this time, making improvements.
We are sorry if the delayed check in and the fact that you were approached by the sales team has inconvenienced you in any way. We would like to assure you that we do not advocate ‘pushy’ sales approach and basing on what we have read in your review, the representative’s behaviour was not acceptable. Again, should you wish to contact us directly and provide the details of the person you were in contact with, we would address this issue immediately.
We are sorry if this experience influenced your entire stay and left you with an impression that you may have been treated as a less valued customer. We would like to assure you that we cherish all our guests and want nothing more than to provider every one of them with fantastic holiday experience. We regret that this was not the case on this occasion. We wish you all the best on your future travels.
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We scheduled this stay on an exchange with RCI. It was not the nicest place we've ever stayed, but it was fine. We enjoyed our breakfast on the patio every morning. Our check in was relatively easy, and they only called a couple of times to try to schedule us for a "timeshare update." We refused and they were not pushy. This was a good location not too far from things to do. The kitchen was very nice for those that like to cook instead of eat out all the time.

Room Tip: We wanted a quiet balcony, so we emailed ahead of time to ask for one on the perimeter that faced th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!