“Excellent value for your money” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 30%
Ranked #38 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Gaborone, Botswana
“Excellent value for your money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the apartments. 2 very spacious bedrooms both with en-suite bathrooms, well equipped kitchen. Beautiful grounds. The kids loved the tennis courts which were in good condition, if you are a serious tennis player, take your own gear, if you just want to play around the free rental rackets will do just fine.
Very accessible to shopping outlets. The sales pitch is close to 2 hours .... Some enticing discounts if you do have the time to go and listen.
It was a wonderful break from small hotel rooms.
Will most definitely return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I do not understand the bad reviews for the Powhatan Resort. I have a large family in Williamsburg and visit often. Have always found outstanding deals for the Powhatan. For our last visit the week of April 23 we have only one issue. The sofa needs to be replaced. It resembled four flat tires. You could see upgrades everywhere in the room.

Two weeks at $69 per night for a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen with washer and dryer. Who can complain about the rates for that room? The grounds are wonderful and the staff could not have been better. We only ate breakfast but the quality and value were very reasonable and service could not have been better.

Timeshare? Yes, they do hit you up on this. However, my family has stayed at this resort over twenty times over the years and I let the staff know up front that a timeshare is not of interest because of this. Compared to Mexico where they push this on you daily it was of no issue to me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
We sincerely appreciate and thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay here The Historic Powhatan Resort. Your comments and tips will be of great help for future potential guests. We were thrilled to see that our accommodations, amenities, customer service, and restaurant met, if not exceeded, your expectations. In regard to the sofa in your unit, we will definitely investigate this further, and make needed changes for future guests who stay in this particular unit. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Barnegat
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We sent an email and also called the morning of check in to request a renovated room (after reading the reviews here of the non renovated rooms!!) When I called, a very nice gentleman told me that we were receiving a renovated room and would be very happy with the location, etc etc.. YAY!
So upon arrival, we are told that our room wasn't ready yet and she will try to find us another one. She gets on the phone to someone about doing a "housekeeping check" on the room they had just moved people from. So I asked her "Dare I ask why they were moved?", and she said "NO!" LOL I said "Seriously, was there a problem with the room?" She rolled her eyes and said that they had complained of a weird smell in the room. Ugh. After a rather snotty run around from her (me asking her what about the room we were supposed to be getting based on my earlier phone call, her saying there is no guaranty of receiving a renovated room, me saying I know but I called earlier and he said we were getting one, isn't that the one you just said wasn't ready??, her saying if we don't take THIS one we aren't getting one, etc) So we decide to take the room and see if we think there is a smell, with the understanding that if we don't take this one we are getting an old room :(
Well, there was a smell, like OLD FISH. Blechk!! We decided that the room was otherwise very nice and that we would try to fix the problem ourselves. Turned the AC down, threw open some windows and pinpointed the problem to the garbage disposal. ran hot water down it for awhile and then left the stopper in it so the smell couldn't escape as easily. Made BLTs for a late lunch and that helped disguise the smell also. By the time we retuned later that night it was no longer an issue, COOL!

PROS: Granite countertops, fairly comfy beds, flat screen in living room, newer looking furniture, lots of space, lovely deck with woods view, good array of kitchen supplies, gorgeous grounds
CONS: Of course the crummy check in experience, followed by a very condescending and snotty timeshare woman, so wrong! The carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed, I found pieces of Hershey bar and wrapper under the dining table, a few popcorn kernels here and there and spaghetti sauce crusted on the kitchen floor. Otherwise (and that's a big otherwise!!) the unit did seem clean and dust free. Uncovered electrical outlet in the master bath. Very rickety wooden steps leading up to the unit. OLD TV in master, NO TV in second bedroom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Suite was clean. Was pleased to have unit with flat screen tv which was an upgrade from last year. The unit still needs a furniture update as it looks like the furniture is about 30 years old at least. Seems like they could afford to put a flat screen in the master bedroom instead of the dinosaur tube tv. Why are they charging for WiFi? Who does that? Staff friendly and responsive. Would definitely return. Great place for golf outing with the fellas.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Condo was run down. Timeshare people were obnoxious. The plantation and grounds are beautiful. Staff was unhelpful from grounds, pool, front desk with the exception of Emily Flowers, historian, who was amazing! Check out is very early, 10:00am- the cleaning girl was knocking at our door at 9:30 and waited outside for 1/2 hour for us to leave.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this place not sure what it was. Found it on Priceline for $60 a night. It was really gorgeous. It looks like a plantation and our $60 room was like a condo. It had all amenities and more than one bed and 2 bathrooms. It is the snazziest place it's historic and redone well. The bed wasn't great but the pillows were :). I'd stay here again if I got that price

• Stayed April 2013
Waldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked a weekend stay at The Historic Powhatan Resort with Diamond International to relax for my anniversy weekend. I paid for the trip in full upon booking. When I arrived, I was really impressed with the look of the resort. I went inside to check in, and everyone was friendly. The staff tried to re-direct me to a separate waiting area, where it appeared folks were involved in a timeshare presentation, but the staff member assured me that it was not a presentation. She then took me back to the registration desk to check in. Upon checking in, I was directed to the Concierge desk to receive a welcome packet. There I was told that I was pre-booked for a meeting the next morning at 9:00 am. I informed that staff at the concierge desk that I was not there for a timeshare presentation. I told her that I paid for my stay, and I was only there to relax during the short trip. She would not take no for an answer, and kept explaining that I was pre-booked and all of the guests are signed up for this meeting. She told me that nothing opens until 10:00 am anyway, and I would be out of the meeting by 10:30. My husband and I reluctantly agreed, because we were tired of being badgered about this meeting. In exchange, we would receive a monetary gift as well as a free return 3 day/2night stay. I was then asked to provide a $20 deposit for the meeting that I was not interested in attending. If we failed to show up, my deposit would be forfeited.

My husband and I wake up early to head over to the "meeting", which is a timeshare presentation. The presentation started at 9:00am, and after telling three different salesmen "NO" and over 2 hours later, we were finally able to leave the meeting and begin our day.

The rooms were nice and clean, the resort was beautiful. However, I think that the reservations team should explain that we would be asked to take part in a timeshare presenation at the time of booking so that you don't feel so overwhelmed when you arrive. If the guest declines, it should be left at that - not shoved down there throat as if it is mandatory.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!