“Decent Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Midlothian, Virginia
“Decent Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at The Historic Powhatan Resort (Diamond Resorts) in Williamsburg Virginia. We drove onto the property after being greeted by a security guard who gave us directions to the registration building. The drive from the security shack to the building was similar to driving through a golf course. The landscaping was well maintained as was a small lake with a fountain. As we approached the office a large ‘colonial style’ building stood out as the center piece of the grounds. Upon entering the building we were greeted and quickly escorted to a backroom where we were handed off to a very friendly ‘registration consultant’. My wife and I sat down and our consultant launched into convincing us to attend a ‘time share presentation’ the following morning at 8 AM. My wife and politely declined to attend the presentation or the incentives at which point his demeanor changed from pleasant to impatient and quickly asked for my credit card. I was charged $250.00 for incidentals and was told the funds would be returned upon checkout (this, I later found out was not the case. Upon checkout the clerk said 5 to 10 business days. I repeated back to her what I was told at registration at which point she sighed and gave me the ‘you’re wasting my time’ stare). Eventually we were given a map of the property and a packet with local coupons for restaurants and shopping. We had a first floor one bedroom suite that included a private hot tub. The accommodations were comfortable with the exception of the couch which had seen better days. The kitchen was dated circa 1980s but was stocked with dishes, silverware, utensils and appliances. We also had a stackable washer and dryer and a large wall mounted flat screen TV above a faux fireplace (activated by a light switch) that lighted up and gave off heat. The bedroom was comfortable with a walk-through closet that opened into a two sink bathroom. We had a 12 inch 1980s TV that had clearly seen better days (a little disappointing). Overall we enjoyed our stay, the hot tub was great, the location was great and we were comfortable after exploring Historic Williamsburg. The only downside was the ‘Time Share’ hustle and the rude clerk at check-out.

Room Tip: Get a first floor suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I will admit to being hesitant to book here, given the middling reviews, but the price was right. We booked a one-bedroom unit, which was to have two twin beds in a loft area. Our reservation was specific, and I called after making the reservation -- through a travel website -- and reiterated our need for the two twin beds.

When we arrived, there were signs up that they are remodeling the lobby, so it was a bit chaotic. I was met in line and welcomed, which was nice. Upon check-in, I asked about the twin beds, and was told the unit to which we were assigned had the twin beds. After getting our keys, I was walked over to the "concierge area" to receive my "free welcome package." This was, of course, the time-share pitch. I was firm and said "no, thank you." I was clear that we were not interested at all.

We got to the unit with no problem. Each unit is assigned one parking space, which is marked. Our space was occupied by someone else -- in fact, our designated parking spot was not available all weekend. The car parked there did not have a parking pass, either. There were some cars up on the grassy areas, so I was suprised they weren't "policing" the parking.

Our unit was upstairs and I quickly realized there was no loft area; only two bedrooms -- one with a king bed and one with a queen bed. I called the front desk and inquiried why I'd been told we had twin beds. After being on hold for a couple minutes, the agent came back and said "It appears we are all out of that room type, so you've been upgraded to a two-bedroom unit." I inquired but he confirmed that there were no rooms left with twin beds. Though it was an "upgrade," I was still miffed that the agent at check-in basically misled me. I also had to deal with two kids who were none too happy to share a bed. They got over it.

The unit was nice, though showing age. Lots of room, but just showing signs of age throughout. The bedspreads were stained, though the sheets were clean and the beds comfortable. Our unit was quiet and we slept well. When I went out to my car, though, to retrieve the rest of our luggage, a man approached me and asked if I had just "moved in" to the unit upstairs. When I said yes, he told me that he and his wife could not sleep because of all the noise we were making. When I assured him that we had just arrived, and I apologized if he'd heard us moving suitcases, etc., he got testy and told me, "You've been up there over an hour, so don't lie to me." I then pointed to our unit behind him, and he realized that we were in a neighboring unit to his. He didn't apologize, which was fine, but his comments made me wary of getting a first-floor unit given the obviously thin floors.

We received a call around 0900 the following morning from the concierge, reiterating the time-share schpiel. I wasn't too happy about that, as I thought I'd been clear the night before that we were a "no." Though we were awake, it crossed my mind that some people might not be up at that hour, so the call's timing was also unfortunate.

It was nice to have the kitchen and living room area, though the DVD player did not work. The location is okay; not great, but fairly close to things.

Overall, we enjoyed our visit and our unit was okay. As there seems to be inconsistency between units, though, I'd through in that caveat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just back from a fantastic "girls weekend" at the Powhatan Resort. We bought the weekend on Groupon and found the place fantastic. While there were signs of wear, the room was definitely upscale. The kitchen was well stocked with cookware, dishes and small appliances. The rooms were well furnished and the living room had a nice flat screen tv. Our upstairs 2 bedroom rental was very near the clubhouse. There we found a nice indoor pool, hot tub, and the bar - restaurant. We went to dinner at the bar and found them in the middle of a cheesy "name that tune" game, but it was fun. Food was good and reasonably priced. They did try to make the pitch for the timeshare when we checked in, but did not persist once they knew we were sans husbands. We were near enough to shopping and Busch Gardens to have a fantastic weekend. I'd like to return some time with my hubby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at this resort during Thanksgiving week when there was still a lot of lovely fall foliage in the area. The grounds are extensive and beautifully landscaped with several ponds with ducks and geese. We had a three bedroom unit, with a nice master bedroom on the first floor with a big bathroom with two sinks, good towels and large closet. The second floor bedroom and bathroom were the same and the third floor loft had twin beds. There was an additonal small sitting area on the second floor landing. The kitchen was ample with a full sized refrigerator. The tv in the living room was fine; the ones in the bedrooms didn't have clear pictures. There was a spa off the living room as well as a small deck. The curtains, furniture upholstery and carpeting were in excellent condition but the wooden tables, including the dining table were fairly scuffed up. The deck furniture also had mildew stains. The resort is in the midst of an extensive remodelling project so I expect the furniture will be replaced when they get to "our" unit. We had three meals at the Bar & Grill and were completely satisfied with the quality and price. The Monday night prime rib special for $18 (which came with a huge salad) was immensely better than the one we had at the Shield's Tavern in Williamsburg on Thanksgiving day - a meal that cost us $60 each! The hamburgers were excellent and the house wine at $5.50 was quite all right and generously poured. We found we needed several items that were not in the unit, such as kitchen scissors, a cutting board and water kettle and all of these were delivered immediately after calling housekeeping. There are several computers in the reception building for the free use of guests. The staff at reception was very pleasant and helpful. The indoor swimming pool, in the same building as the Bar & Grill, is big, fine for real swimming, not just sitting about. There is also a hot tub. The outdoor pool also is big but of course it was too cold to use that in November. There is mini-golf, a couple tennis courts, etc and games can be borrowed. A supermarket is less than 10 minutes away but there is also a minishop on the grounds.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you sharing your review of your recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We were definitely pleased to hear that our accommodations, amenities, location, restaurant, and staff exceeded your expectations. You were correct in stating that we are undergoing an extensive refurbishment project with those units that have not already been completed. This is an ongoing process that will extend through the year. We were also pleased to hear that our staff provided exception customer service and provided any missing amenities from your unit in a prompt manner. Your recommendation is sincerely appreciated, and we hope we are able to accommodate you and your party again in the near future.
MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well, this was our 2nd visit to the Powhaten Resort and this time we got a 1 bedroom condo on the groundfloor. It was very nice and spacious and clean. Again, the beds are hard but as I have a bad back, it wasn't AS BAD for me as my husband who does not but it was still very hard. The only thing I can say this time was unfortunately this was my problem and not really theirs as much.. My car got hit while down in Williamsburg this time - not BAD but dents and new paint added by the hit & run car.. and we couldn't read the tag fast enough so needless to say they got away with it. (NOT on the Powhaten premises.) So when we got back, I had talked to someone about fixing the dent and paint and they were going to do it as a quick favor on Black Friday (Thanksgiving week) and get it back to me by Sunday so I could have my car to go back to work - well I needed my deposit back to pay the guy and had called to ask how long until the $ would be back in my account - we went down on Sunday and left on Tues - this was Wed when I called and asked - last year I got my deposit back within 24 hours (after checkout) and the voucher we bought said - deposit to be released upon check out - so I called to ask so I could pay the guy fixing my car - and was told to talk to the manager after explaining I had a bad situation and was wondering when I'd get the deposit back. So I left a message for the manager after being transferred and I never received a call back. I called a few times and got the message machine. So I was worried about paying the guy as a favor since it was a slow time fixing my car - but again - this was my problem and not the Powhatens, but I could've gotten a phone call stating when I'd get the deposit back. Thats my only gripe, I just wanted a phone call to let me know. Would I stay again, probably yes, it is a nice resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at this property the weekend of November 9th looking for a relaxing time away from the city. The stay was purchased through Hotwire because the Powhatan was offering a nice deal. Unfortunately, from the time we arrived the service we received as anything but 5 star. They lost our reservation from Hotwire and then gave us a small dirty room in one of the older condos. The room they provided us was not the one advertised through Hotwire, and while the actual bed itself was fine, the "living room" space had two dirty loveseats, a 13inch Zenith television, small chipped dining room table, and a kitchen that didn't have a full fridge or stove. We called the front desk immediately once we saw the room to inquire about switching, even for the $20 per night upgrade, but the front desk staff proceeded to tell us that there were no more rooms available for that night. The whole property? Hmm...the parking lot surrounding our condo section was very much empty. Besides, if you at such capacity why were you still advertising rooms on sites like groupon and Expedia that night?

But what really teed us off was that the front desk staff (Jamie, Stephanie, and Shauntey) were unfriendly and unwilling to provide any customer service. Jamie who seemed like he was the leader never stepped in to provide any customer services which reflected poorly on the property. We did not stay for the full duration of our stay because there was no way we were going to continue to deal with their attitudes.

And the icing on the cake...they pitched us for timeshare, lol. Oh yeah, and I'm still fighting to get my deposit back. Avoid, at least through these deal sites. They don't seem interested in treating those kinds of customers the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room. While we understand that some of the units require updating, we can assure you that we are planning additional updates to the property for next year. We do take units out of service for extensive repairs or other inconveniences to guests to ensure that the guests do not have to deal with them during their stay. That being said, units can be unavailable and vacant at the same time.

Our property is a vacation ownership company and we do offer guests the opportunity to tour and learn more about our product. This is by no means mandatory.

We regret that our front desk team was unable to help you with your concerns, but we are glad to hear that the cost of your stay has already been returned to you. The return of the deposit is dependent on your financial institution. We encourage guests to speak to our front desk team in order to provide insight into regular deposit refund time or to contact their bank directly.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope you’ll choose to stay with us again in the future.
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from a long weekend in Williamsburg - just girlfriends. We have stayed at Powhatan Resort numerous times in the past, and thought we knew what to expect.

First, let me say that NOT ALL 2 BEDROOM UNITS HAVE A FULL KITCHEN. When I called prior to making my reservation, I was advised that all 2 bedrooms had full kitchens. In fact, there are two buildings that still have convection ovens instead of full-sized ovens. Since we were planning to mostly cook dinner in (and had particular needs for a full-sized oven), I had to request a room change. At first they weren't sure that they could accomodate our change since they were fully booked, but they did move us. This may be due more to the fact that there was a water leak from our unit that had been detected by maintenance, and maintenance wanted to shut off the water, rather than due to our needs.

The switch to another unit took another hour since we had partially unloaded our stuff prior to discovering the oven problem. So everything had to be taken back downstairs, packed in the cars again, etc. It was a frustrating start to our long weekend.

On the plus side, we were switched to a recently renovated unit, which was MUCH nicer than the unit that we were originally assigned.

The bedding situation - again, when we had stayed at Powhatan in the past, there was a king-size bed in the master bedroom and two twin beds in the 2nd bedroom - perfect for four adult women. This unit had queen-sized beds in both rooms. I was very surprised, since Williamsburg is a "family" destination I thought they would have kept the same types of beds in the rooms. Perhaps other units are configured with king and twin beds - you should verify with the resort if this is important to you.

Nonetheless Powhatan was able to resolve our "kitchen" problem, and we enjoyed our "down time" at the resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Historic Powhatan. There appears to have been some misunderstanding regarding the kitchen facilities at our resort, however we would like to advise that all our 2 bedroom apartments indeed have full kitchens, however some of the appliances may vary. We are happy, however, that your request to move to a different apartment could be fulfilled and you have been able to enjoy the rest of your stay. Referring to the beds situation, our 2 bedroom lock-offs and ground floor apartments have twin beds available. The upstairs apartments have only king/queen size beds. This information is available on our website and during the booking process. We apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused. It does appear, however, that you had an otherwise enjoyable time here at Powhatan and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards
Jeffrey Honeycutt
Resort Manager

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!