“Very Beautiful Landscaping” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Richmond, Virginia
“Very Beautiful Landscaping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I loved everything about this resort. From the landscaping to the layout of the condos. The Concierge was great, helpful, and friendly. They knew everything about the tourist attractions. I would definitely recommend this resort to EVERYBODY!!

1,188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Vanceboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back from staying at the Powhatan. It was THE perfect place for our family of 4, which included our teenage son and daughter. We didn't take part in any activities at the resort, since we were there to visit Colonial Williamsburg and didn't spend much time at the resort. We would definately stay again! Only thing that would keep me from rating it with 5 stars was the cleanliness. It wasn't filthy but there were a lot of cobwebs up high on the lights and quite a bit of mold on the inside of the shower. The kitchen and bedroom areas were excellent and we stayed in two different condos, both being the same.

Glenn Dale, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights,November 9-11. Place is clean but unit need to be updated. We had a one queen bedroom unit on the second floor, with twins beds on the loft level and two bathrooms. TV's are old. Good location near Newtown Center where there is plenty of shopping, restuarants and movies. This place is ok if the price is right and ambience is not important to you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Owner at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We’re sorry to read that you were disappointed by aspects of your recent stay at the Historic Powhatan Resort. This property is currently undergoing an extensive program of refurbishment, which will bring all the accommodation back to the standard you have every right to expect from a Diamond resort.

We hope that you’ll give the Historic Powhatan Resort another try, and we feel sure that if you do return here, you’ll appreciate the changes we’re making!
Murphy, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I don't understand the poor reviews given by some people. We spent a very comfortable and pleasant week at Powhatan. It isn't a five-star facility but it's no where near as bad as depicted in the negative reviews. Maybe we stayed in one of the refurbished units or maybe some people are just overly picky. We enjoyed the condo, the facilities and the service. We would stay at Powhatan again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reston, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The place is clean, well located, and updated enough (not super modern or fancy, but this is Williamsburg after all). This is a timeshare, so you will get a pitch, but that's not too bad. We rented a 3 bedroom loft. It was huge and even had a hot tub. The "fireplace" was nothing more than a fake light show (not even a heater), so don't go here expecting that as we were... all in all it was okay.

Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I honestly almost backed out of staying at this place when I read some of the reviews the night before we left for Williamsburg. I finally decided that we would give it a try but I did pick out a couple back up resorts we could book last minute if we needed to. As soon as we got in our place, I looked around and realized it didn't look like a horror story, so we settled down. Overall the place is spacious. We had a second floor 2 unit bedroom and I liked the high ceilings in the master bathroom because there was lots of light. The beds and bedding were decent (I took my flashlight out and inspected for bed bugs before hopping in to check it out). In theory it was nice to have the fireplace, but we had a wood burning fireplace that was pretty dusty looking. Next to the fireplace and mantle there was some sort of wet bar that confused me a bit. I guess they didn't know what to put there, but I think the extra space would have been fine. However, over the course of the couple of days we stayed there I did find things that bothered me a bit. The kitchen was usable but very outdated. The cabinets looked as if they would be falling down any day now. The counter was severely stained and falling off of the wall in some areas. Besides being stained, it was also very dirty. We scrubbed it down with a sponge and the sponge ended up filthy. The cleaning crew seemed to have been lacking. There were burnt incense sticks set up in the front of the fireplace, clearly visible to anyone who walked by (so why didn't the cleaning crew grab them?). Like I mentioned before, the counters were filthy. I found trash and cigar wrappers underneath all the furniture (also visible without bending down to look for stuff). There was dried silly string all over the banisters and out front of the unit. There was also broken glass on the sidewalk out front. When we first got there, there were bags of trash and possibly linens right next to the door and they were there for most of the next day as well. There was also stuff splattered and dried on the wall in a couple different places. One of those places was right next to the toilet, which really grossed me out. The toilet was also crooked, I don't know if it was installed that way or if something was wrong with it. Another thing I thought was odd and not the best idea was that all the knives and sharp cooking utensils were in the very bottom drawer. My daughter actually found them before I did. I also noticed that everything was dusty. The furniture had dust on it, but I realized that it was probably because the vent grates were covered in dust. I checked the utility closet and it was horrible! I'm talking like an inch of dust covering every single surface in there including the walls. There was a filter sticking halfway out of something and I could tell it was not installed correctly, but I'm not sure what it was. If it had anything to do with air circulation, that was definitely the problem. I don't know if the cleaning crew is responsible for that area, but somebody should be. If you have any sensitivity to dust mites, don't even think about going near this place. So overall, my experience wasn't horrible and the place was comfortable, but all these things added up to me most likely not choosing to stay here again even though the price was right. At first glance, everything seems great, but once you're there, you get a closer look and realize that nobody is paying attention to the details, which can make or break it for a lot of people. We didn't go to any of the amenities on site so I cannot review them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We always strive to provide exceptional hospitality and quality accommodations to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is quite concerning about the concerns you brought up in regard to the cleanliness of your accommodations. Clearly, the unit you described was not acceptable for occupancy, and should not have been assigned to you and your party. There is no excuse for your unit not being ready for occupancy upon your arrival. We have forwarded your concerns to our maintenance and housekeeping management team for review and coaching. We want all of our guests to be happy with their accommodation, and we encourage you to speak to our front desk staff if you have any concerns during your stay, as we’ll do everything we can to resolve them while you are here. We are very sorry for any disappointment you experienced during this stay. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay with us will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations as a destination for you and your family. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.
Rolesville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here during the first weekend of August and had an enjoyable stay. There were a few hiccups which were addressed and did not effect our stay too much. Traveling with my mom, my hubby and our two boys 8 and 3 yrs old.

Check in was a little hectic, the line was long and in an effort to slim the line down they sent us to the back reception area to pick up our keys, welcome packet and a few sandwiches. Because my mom is already an owner an already had an appointment for some sort of updates there was no need to try to sell her on a presentation and we were only supposed to be picking up keys etc.. However, when the sales people realized they were not going to get credit for signing us up for a presentation it seems they started bickering over who was going to get our welcome pack and send us on our way.. They bounced us from one person to the next until my mom slightly complained, then we were on our way..

The room 2 bedroom/2bath on second level was very clean and all furniture seemed to be in good condition. First hiccup- in the master bedroom my husband went to pull the curtain back and the rod separated from the wall and nearly fell off in his hand.. He stabilized it and got it to stay up and we called maintenance (around 6pm ish) we told them it was fine for the night since we were heading out to dinner and that they could send someone in the morning. Morning came, we went and had breakfast came back and headed to the pool and spent most of the day at the pool. Pool was lovely, very clean and though it was a pretty booked weekend did not seem crowded. We had lunch at the restaurant in the building with the recreation area and it was decent. Around 4pm decided to head back to the room and upon return noticed that the curtain had not been fixed.. Called maintenance again and was told they would send someone.. In the meantime we decided to warm some of the leftovers from Bonefish grill from the night before.. Preheated the oven and as I went to open the oven to put our food in, the ENTIRE oven door fell off the hinges and nearly crushed my foot.. Luckily I was able to catch it before it hit me! Quite the balancing act since I had a pan of food in one hand. So no oven, now warming our food in microwave.. Called maintenance and they sent someone to fix the oven within 30 minutes.. However, there was no fixing the oven since the door would not stay on.. Considering we had groceries and planned on using the oven during our stay.. They installed a new oven.. Between the curtain rod and oven, maintenance was now in our unit for over 2 hours, well past quitting time for them, but they got it done.

The boys loved the playground area and the pool! We also took a drive out to the beach about 20 minutes from the resort, I believe it was Yorktown. Not really a beach beach, but there was sand and the kids were able to play in the little inlet area. Had ice cream at Ben and Jerry's and a nice relaxing evening sitting along the waterfront!

All in all, we would stay here again, actually my parents have stayed here several times before and say its always clean and comfy.. This was my first visit. The grounds are nice and well kept! Geeat for walking and getting a little excercise in. We all really enjoyed the pool and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!