“Great people, disappointing rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 30%
Ranked #37 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great people, disappointing rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When we first walked into the two bedroom apartment, I was so disappointed I was ready to walk back out. The furnishing were old and not of good quality,the floors were all scuffed up and old. The bathrooms needed major renovations. The only saving grace was there was an enclosed hot tub. That is the only reason why we stayed. Within a 24 hour period we had to call maintenance about 5 times. Sometimes it was for something minor but one time the shower from upstairs was leaking down into the hallway and into our apartment. The maintenance people were wonderful. They responded quickly and were so pleasant to deal with. This resort needs to spend some major dollars on renovations and just on simple everyday maintenance.Not much in the way of on site recreation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've stayed here sporadically over the last 20 years or so and have always enjoyed it. It went through a period of poor maintenance, but now seems to be in very good shape!. It is very convenient to all the usual Williamsburg attractions and shopping, but is a nice and quiet oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of this very popular area. The grounds are simply beautiful and fit in well with the historic nature of the area. The amenities are great - indoor and outdoor pools, several restaurants on site, a helpful staff and plenty of extras.

Maintenance was very quick to replace a broken overstuffed chair in the livingroom that would be easily missed by the cleaning crew (since I'm guessing they don't "test sit" while they are cleaning)! The place was very clean and fully stocked with everything we needed to cook a meal. Even the linens were quite nice.

If you are looking for night life, this isn't your best bet. But for families or couples I highly recommend it! If you get a first floor unit - enjoy the private jacuzzi! This is a great place to relax and enjoy between seeing all Williamsburg has to offer.

Room Tip: First floor units have a private jacuzzi. Second bedrooms are small - great for kids, but not adult...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your most recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We appreciate the positive feedback you provided about our resort, and we are glad that you were able to experience the refurbishments we have recently finished, and that our staff was able to quickly resolve any issues that you had with your unit. Thank you for being a repeat guest, and we look forward to being able accommodate you and your family for another 20 years!
New Bern, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights recently to attend a Busch Gardens Halloween Weekend event. Accomodations were clean and safe (my two musts) but the two guest rooms each had their own bathrooms and one of them only had a tub (no shower head). Not very convenient for that family's weekend. Check in went smoothly, although I would AVOID the Welcome package (hint hint it's a timeshare folks) and turn off the phone in your room for the weekend...to avoid any confusion on why you are staying here. The townhouse accomodations were roomy enough for the 5 of us. The kitchen was adequate for the most part, however a simple frying pan would have been nice for eggs in the morning. The small appliances were all Cusinart and in good working condition. The rooms were a bit outdated and a little dingy in some areas but overall clean enough for a weekend. We'd stay here again but would likely just choose one of the nice hotels in the area and avoid the whole Timeshare sales deal altogether.

Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here on a living social deal. The price was right, and we were visitng so my son could tour William and Mary campus in Williamsburg. We have been to the area several times before but always stayed in hotels.

Upon arrival at the Powhatan Resort we were impressed with the lovely grounds. It really does feel like driving onto a plantation from days gone by. Unfortunately when we checked in we were met with a rather surly front desk person. I don't know that I would call her rude, but she certainly wasn't friendly either. Not the usual perky type person you would expect at the front desk. We were then told we had to go see the concierge. I was a bit taken aback when I told him my name was Mrs. (Blank) and he asked me if I had a Mr. (Blank) or was I a "single person" and then looked at my ring finger. I have since learned this was part of the timeshare pitch, which I would not have participated with or without a Mr. in tow.

The 2 bedroom unit itself has a lot of potential. It's huge, with all the amenities you could hope for. However, the hot tub did not get quite hot enough, drawers were broken and half hanging of their hinges, the coffeepot did not work properly. ON the upside, there was a huge fireplace area and a nice patio to sit out on. There was a jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom that looked roomy, athough we did not use it. We were mostly comfortable there until the 2nd night, when my son saw a mouse running through the living room. After that it sort of went downhill. We were able to chase him out the front door and because we were in a hurry to pack up and leave the next day we did not report it to the front desk but it sort of skeeved me out to staying there again.

We did eat breakfast at the bar and grille, it came as part of our package. It was a little lame, glad I didn't pay full price for it. The food was standard though - nothing spectacular but it was adequate.

The mouse in the living room, the little things like broken doors and coffeepots would prevent me from staying there again. However I think with a little maintenance these could be first class which is why I am giving the property 2 stars instead of 1. Also, the location is ideal, very close to Colonial Williamsburg and the Wiliam and Mary campus. We did not go to Busch Gardens but we learned that was fairly close too. There are a ton of shops and restaurants nearby, everything you could need. The Williamsburg area itself is a great place to vacation, we all enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg and the character reenactment more than we ever dreamed we would. I wish we could have spent at least 2/3 days doing just that. If any readers are on the fence about visiting, don't hesitate. You will enjoy yourself there if you are at all interested in American history. I can't say I can recommend the Powhatan Resort, but if I were to somehow return and see things spruced up a bit I could be persuaded to change my mind.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer good quality accommodation to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is quite concerning to us that our accommodations and customer service did not meet your expectations nor would you recommend our resort. The behavior of the front desk team member that checked you in is not representative of the type of Customer Service we want our staff to portray to our guests. This will be addressed immediately with the team member in question. Our maintenance staff oversees an aggressive pest-control program, which meets state and federal requirements, in order to protect against pest problems during the seasons where these types of issues are imminent in Williamsburg. When notified, our front desk would have also looked into this situation. They would have also looked into the broken items in your unit. We are in the process of a refurbishment program for all of our rooms. New flat-screen TVs are due to be installed in all of our rooms, as well as interior redecoration and replacement of furnishings (such as beds). As this project is ongoing, some rooms have yet to be refurbished; however, their refurbishment will be completed soon, so that all of our rooms will have the same amenities. We appreciate your feedback about our restaurant. While we certainly regret hearing that it fell below your expectations, we can use this to see if we can improve the menu items or how it is prepared for future guests. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We really like this place. It's close enough to everything you might want to do or see, yet it is a relaxing, peaceful place with plenty of place to walk around without even leaving the property. There is plenty to do for everyone---swimming, miniature golf, tennis, ghost tours of the old renovated inn, and a gourmet restaurant on site. The units are spacious and clean. Our unit had a washing machine and dryer in it!! We opted for the second floor this time, since we are not hot tub people, and the deck was most enjoyable to use. We are Diamond Resort owners, and the constant calling to come and be updated was annoying to the extreme. I was called at home prior to the trip and I explained that I was not interested, but this did not stop the daily phone calls. The offer of the "free" $50 Visa card was increased to $75 and then to $100 and then back to $75. One of the people had the audacity to say that since we were staying for 8 nights there was no reason not to come and listen for the hour. I have made the investment in this company and I resented the pressure. I also think that if patrons are going to stay more than the 7 nights, the unit should be cleaned once, or, at the very least, have clean linens. I am used to not having maid service in time shares when I stay less than a week, but I've never been to one that did not do a complimentary mid-week cleaning if you were there a week. Yes, it was available, but for an extra charge. Will I go again? Probably, because I do like the area and I feel like I am able to relax here.

Room Tip: If you do not care for a hot tub, take a second floor room. We also asked for a renovated unit, whi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time in providing your thoughts about your recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We were delighted to hear that our accommodations, amenities, and location met, if not exceeded, your expectations. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership resort, solicitation of a sales presentation is part of the check in process, and housekeeping services are provided weekly. However, our concierge desk is supposed to discontinue the solicitation process if a guest requests as such during the duration of their stay. This is obviously not representative of the type of behavior we wish to present to our guests, and will be dealt with accordingly with the team members responsible. We hope that this did not have too much of a negative effect with your stay. While we only provide complimentary housekeeping services weekly, we can schedule a mid-week cleaning for a small fee. This can be scheduled with our front desk department during your stay. We appreciate the feedback you have provided about your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed a week. Our 2-BR unit was nice. Apparently, there are newly-renovated units and I asked for one so I am not sure what other units looked like. This is not a fancy resort and is a little dated in areas such as the pool but is adequate, peaceful and comfortable.

The only complaint I have is about the relentless pressure to sell you timeshares. They start as soon as you enter and were still calling (at 7:30 am) through the last day trying to get us to come in for a 2-hour presentation. I have never understood how timeshares get away with doing that to paying customers but I suppose their job is pretty much impossible (trying to sell something for $10K that you can get on ebay for free).

Sebastian, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Girl's vacation took us to the Historic Powhatan Resort. What a wonderful experience. We could not have asked for such great response from the staff in every way. The friendliness of this place made our vacation. The only drawback was there was only one shower, but we managed. The grounds are beautiful and it is very convenient location to visit Williamsburg

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Historic Powhatan Resort? Share your experiences!