“A good place to stay, especially for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Greensprings Vacation Resort

Greensprings Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3500 Ludwell Parkway, Williamsburg, VA 23188 (Formerly Greensprings Plantation)   |
Ranked #34 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A good place to stay, especially for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights after a late change in plans for Thanksgiving. All in all, it was a very nice stay. So, here's the good (a lot), the bad (not so much), and the other. Note that we stayed in a refurbished unit, so I can't say if this applies to all units.

Bad: not very much at all, and nothing of great import. The first thing was an annoyance. This condo resort both rents out as if it were a hotel, and operates as a timeshare, and they do try to press the timeshare sales pitch. More about that below. The other thing was that the ceilings are not incredibly thick. We had a family with an child of about 8 abocve us, and for a while each evening, we could hear him working out his excess energy :-). The sound of his running and jumping came through loudly. However, we did not hear anything else from the floor above, so that wasn't that big a deal.

Good: A clean, roomy, well set-up 2 BR apartment.
Master bedroom: KIng bed, with plenty of room besides. Plenty of storage - a closet, a dresser, 2 nightstands. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean and felt like they should (i.e., not institutional, siff, rough, etc.). Medium sized flat panel TV, and a claock radio with mp3 player attachment. The only minor complaint was that the lights (bedside only, 1 each side) were a little bit dark overall. Not a problem if reading in bed, but not as good if looking in the dresser, for instance.

Master bath - very roomy, with shower and whirlpool tub, two sinks, toilet, plenty of light, good water pressure and temperature. Soap was provided, as were towels and paper (nice, since some
condo rentals don't).

2nd BR - ours was 1 queen bed, though some come with 2 twins. No TV in second BR. Otherwise, it was similar to, though just a bit smaller than, the master BR. Its bathroom is smaller, just sink, toilet and shower, and has doors to both the bedroom and the living room.

Kitchen - nice amount of room, and very well appointed, with a full size fridge, electric oven and range, a microwave, a really nice coffee machine, toaster, pots, pans, and all the dishes and utensils you'd need.

Dining room - with table and room/seating for 6

Living room - couch and chair, flat panel TV with a good range of channels. Ours opened to a patio, others to balconies.

Other: The location is at the southwest end of Williamsburg, making it less accessible to the Colonial area, Busch Gardens, etc. But this was not a major hardship - we're talking 10 to15 minutes instead of 5 to the Colonial Williamsburg parking lot. It is about 2 to 3 miles from a few shopping centers with restaurants, supermarkets, etc. The pool is outdoors, so, what with it being late November, it wasn't available. There are no elevators, at least in the building we stayed in, so only 1 in 4 of the condos per unit are barrier free. Not an issue to us, but just in case it matters to you. The parking areas in fron of the units were close to full each night. I think there is enough for each unit, but not if too many have multiple cars staying there. Wi-fi in the area, but it is not free. You need to purchase straight from ATT. It was not expensive. If you have a personal hotspot, coverage was 3G and spotty.

and more about the sales pitch: So, they try to sell timeshares to everyone who stays, including attending an "information session" (a.k.a. sales pitch). They actually preschedule you for such a session, without asking. Ours was "prescheduled for my convenience" at noon on a Friday, right on the middle of the day, when we'd be doing whatever we came to Williamsburg to do. To make it even better, the sales force is labeled "the concierge desk", and you are referred to them after checking in for your welcome package ( pamphlets, coupons, a packet of starbucks coffee grounds), and then they lead right into how they've also done us a favor by setting us up for the sales meeting. The saleswoman/concierge I spoke to was very cheerful and friendly, but once I made it clear that I wasn't interested, you could see the switch go to off - the smile disappeared, and she literally turned her back to me and started talking to a colleague. Nice way to build interest! I feel, I've paid you $150 +/- a night, I don't owe you anything but that and normal politness. I certainly don't owe you a chunk of my time. Fortunately, I had been pre-warned via online reviews, so I was ready and not surprised.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room. Others say it makes a difference, and ours was very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently stayed here for one night only so we could go to Busch gardens at Christmas time for evening show. It was a first floor two bedroom unit renovated unit with lots of nice touches. All Cuisinart appliances in kitchen, soothing paint colors, jetted tub, and gas fireplace. It was in a wooded setting. Staff was friendly upon check in/check out process. The only downside was that there was a faint smell of old cigarette smoke in the unit. I would look to staying here again and getting a chance to use more of their onsite services like pool, etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Providing our guests with a pleasant stay in friendly and relaxing atmosphere is our priority and we are happy that this is exactly what you have experienced here at Greensprings Vacation Resort. We hope to see you again in the future!

Kind regards
Jennifer Berberich
Resort Manager
Monroe Township, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My family ( 2 adults and 2 kids) stayed here for the weekend to go to Busch Gardens Christmas Town, run in the Christmas Town Dash, and attend the Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illuminations (busy weekend). We decided to make a return stay at Greensprings Plantation resort. We had stayed here for a week August 2011 and enjoyed our stay here.

The room is a very spacious 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit with full kitchen, living room/dining room, and balcony. We are on the 3rd floor (our request) in building 12. Master bedroom has king bed and is very comfortable. There is a flat screen TV and DVD player. Master bath has 2 sinks, toilet, and shower. Towels are fluffy and linens are of very good quality. 2nd bedroom has 2 twin beds and a small tube TV, also comfortable. 2nd bath has a tub with curved shower curtain and sink. Kitchen has full size refrigerator, oven/stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, coffee maker (cuisinart), pop-up toaster and blender and is fully stocked with dishes and pots/pans. Living room has pullout sofa bed and two chairs, flat panel TV, DVD player, electric fireplace and dining area has seating for 6. There is also a stackable washer/dryer.

This unit is in excellent, well maintained condition and is very, very nice! Everything is clean. Carpet is in excellent condition. I wish I was staying for a week instead of just the weekend!

Our balcony overlooks the golf course. There are picnic tables and grills for outdoor BBQs.

There is a quite large, inviting outdoor pool which is open and heated. There is also a nice indoor pool and gym. During the warm weather months there is a poolside bar and grill. Good variety of activities offered here, like fitness classes and kids crafts.

Parking is plentiful and free. There is a charge for Wifi if you are not an owner. I think it is $7 per day per device.

A few blocks down he road is a shopping center with a Target and a very nice grocery store. Check in staff was very friendly!

Greensprings is a vacation ownership resort (i.e. timeshare). My family really loves staying "condo style." Lots of room for everyone, and especially valuable if you have 3 or 4 kids. We love having a washer/dryer and kitchen. Great for snacks and breakfast. My husband likes to stay up late and watch TV in the living room and he gets to sleep in while the kids get up early to play video games and watch TV. It is important to know that there is no daily housekeeping, bell services or room service. We don't miss it. We love not having to eat out all the time and getting to relax more while on vacation. My kids love having their own room on vacation and get disappointed when we have to stay in a "hotel with only one room."

Also important to know - the buildings have 3 floors and there are no elevators. Call ahead and give the Greensprings staff a heads up if this is a concern for you.

Location is very good - about 10-15 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country. Lots of things to do and see here while in Williamsburg.

I highly recommend Greensprings Plantation Resort!!!

Room Tip: 3 story buildings with no elevators. If stairs are a problem call a week ahead of time and speak wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay Thanksgiving Weekend as a family. We knew to ask for a renovated room and stayed on the third floor. Everything was clean and comfortable. We had plenty of space and everything was in close proximately. Only one negative is that there was not free wifi in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments-we are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Greensprings Vacation Resort. We would like to take this opportunity and advise that, although we would love to be able to offer Wi-Fi access free of charge, unfortunately, there is a cost to operating internet and Wi-Fi services and some resorts incorporate this into their pricing and so appear to provide a free service, but in reality it is not. In order not to charge our guest for a service they may not be using, we agreed to give them a choice of whether they would like to pay extra or not. Therefore, we have introduced an additional charge for Wi-Fi, so that only those who wish to use it pay for it. We of course apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, however we hope you can appreciate the goodwill we wished to project by making this decision. Nevertheless, we are happy to read that you have had an overall pleasurable stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards
Jennifer Berberich
Resort Manager
Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My Greensprings trip was a romantic weekend. From all of the reviews I knew to request a refurbished unit. The unit was nice and clean. What people described as refurbished I thought was normal for the amount of money paid. The furniture in the living space was uncomfortable but the bed was comfortable. The resort was well maintained. There was a small basketball and tennis court, indoor pool and sauna and outdoor pool. It was chilly so we didnt get to take advantage pools and games. The property is a time share. During check in I was asked to participate in a sells pitch. I declined and the salesman tried to persuade me. I said no again and that was it. No other phone calls or harassing as some others have reported. I was also called a few days after booking the room where I was asked if I wanted to hear a time share presentation. I said no and that was it. Overall I thought the property was nice but again I expected what I received because of the amount paid.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room on third floor. I stayed on 2nd floor and could hear those above me walk an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at powhatan, and kingsgate in the past. This one was very nice. Clean and the quiet. Not quite as convienent as Kingsgate but I liked the fact if was not in the middle of town and it was no farther than 10 minutes from anywhere I wanted to go. I recommend asking for a 2 story unit. You get a little more privacy and not the long hike up to the third floor. Place was very clean and well kept (one of my problems with powhatan plantation in the past.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your most recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that our location and accommodations met your needs, as well as, your expectations. Our guests usually compliment us on the fact that we are located close to such attractions as Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, which we hope you were able to visit while you were here. Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope that we are able to accommodate you and your party again in the near future!
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We stay here often while visiting family in the area. We don't have a membership or own a time share, but stay because we have lots of young kids and need the space. It's not the nicest condo resort here by far but the value can't be beat. Plus, you can usually get in last minute if you call.

If you are sensitive to noise or have children, STAY on the TOP floor. You can hear every single step the people above you take. It's awful, especially at night. Our toddler was kept up late and woken up early by the folks upstairs walking back and forth. Thank God its carpet and not hardwood.

I don't know about renovated units but we have never really had a cleanliness issue. I like that dishwasher tabs, detergent etc is included.

Two bedrooms and a pull out queen couch for under $200 a night on weekends? Can't beat that.

We have never used the pool but looks nice and there are playgrounds.

• Stayed October 2012