“Excellent Rooms Great location overcrowded pools” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 20% Off
Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent Rooms Great location overcrowded pools”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Overall had a great visit. Rooms were very nice but the pools were overcrowded with the most kids iv ever seen. It's a family resort so I would expect that. Great location next to Amusement park and Colonial Williamsburg

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Brandon T.,

Thank you for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and sorry that the pool was a bit busy at times. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We are actually on day 6 of 7 as I write this review, but I must say that we have been very happy with the accommodations and amenities here at Kingsgate. The check in process was pretty painless. The unit is spacious. Unlike a previous review, we have had no problems with insects of any type. The location is very convenient to all of the attractions, as well as a vast array of restaurants and shopping, and you're also about an hour away from Norfolk, which is a great place for sightseeing with the naval base and waterfront. I would highly recommend Kingsgate as a great place for families.

Stayed July 2014
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear JMKrebs,

We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your great comments!

We hope to see you again soon,

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent 4th of July week at Kingsgate. We are Wyndham timeshare owners, and have used our points to travel to many different Wyndman and RCI resorts. Kingsgate was one of the prettiest resorts we have been to. It is beautifully taken care of from the landscaping to the pool area to the public building areas. No complaints there!

As owners who are perfectly happy with the amount of points we own, we have learned to be very stern when they try to talk us into the "welcome brunch" or anything else they call it to try to sell us more points. We only had to tell them no twice before we got our parking pass, and no one called our room bugging us the entire time we were there! That was a first!

Our unit was a 2 bedroom 2nd floor at the back of the resort. Our balcony faced a line of trees. We had several wildlife sighting including a deer, baby bald eagle, and possum wandering out of the woods. Unit was clean and decorated in red, white and blue. The building itself was 3 stories high, and I wish we had requested a 3rd floor unit, as the folks above us apparently had about a dozen children running around like elephants from early morning till late at night. Not a huge deal, but you can definitely hear from unit to unit.

Kingsgate could not be more conveniently located. It is easy to access from 64, and is no more than 5-7 minutes from the Historic Williamsburg Visitors Center and the Colonial Parkway, which links Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown. We could see the fireworks on the 4th from Historic Williamsburg, although they were partially blocked by trees. The main "restaurant row" is only 2 minutes away, and also has Walgreens, CVS, etc. The Prime Outlets are about 10 minutes down that same road. If you are a craft beer or wine fan, Alewerks Brewery and Williamsburg Winery are both a short drive away.

We did have 2 areas of concern during our stay. The first was the water situation. The resort is attempting to be eco-friendly, which I support, by using a tankless water heating system. They will explain this to you at check in. However, for the entire week, any time we ran water to shower or bathe, it smelled like cat pee. Pretty disgusting smell. Not sure if it is because of the tankless system or not, but it was definitely a negative. Smelled like it was straight out of the river. The other was the WIFI in the building. The only way we could access it was to walk out the front door of our unit and sit in the stairwell. The signal wasn't strong enough to reach into our unit apparently. That was a major inconvenience, since we are big on using things like Yelp to choose restaurants, etc. In this day and age it isn't that expensive or difficult to install WIFI, and I think they should definitely look into making that more usable in all units.

All in all a lovely trip, lots of history, good dining, and nice weather (Hurricane Arthur missed us, just a little rain.) Would go back again.

Room Tip: Buildings vary from 2-3 stories but ask for a top floor unit, or you will hear the people above you...
Green Features: Recycling is available but you may have to walk a bit to get to the dumpsters. Eco friendly water heating system is a nice idea, but the water smells awful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear leeannsb,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the constructive feedback too. We will certainly look into the WIFI and odor issues that you mentioned and apologize about these items.

We hope to see you again soon back at Wyndham Kingsgate.

Sincerely

Mount Olive, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our room was in the first floor and the living room and kitchen was infested with roaches. One was crawling across the pull out put over my daughter, The person at the desk offered us another room but it took us 3 hours to pack up the van after going grocery shopping. We were so grossed out by the through we check out immediately.

We were going up and down the strip looking for a hotel with vacancy. The Days Inn down the street took us in at 4AM without reservations, although we paid a premium. They were great and most importantly the rooms were CLEAN and BUG FREE.

I am very disappointed by a property that bears the Wyndham name.

Room Tip: Tour your room before you check in.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBischoff, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Mrs. Anothony B,

I apologize that your initial experience was anything less than positive. We know this must have presented an extreme inconvenience during, and I regret that even our best efforts to provide you a different room, hold your groceries in a refrigerated location, and arrange to have your other needs looked after could not turn this difficult situation around. Thank you again for your comments.

Hurlock, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrive on July 3 at 9:00pm. The guard at the front gate was so wonderful and funny! We had another car behind us and he so helpful and very pleasant for it to be so late.

We went to check in and everything went smooth and a very fast check-in, but we had one problem, when we had to check in on the other side of the main desk of course this is the speech about the presentation. Well we were not staying a whole week and we already owned two different timeshares. The young lady explain that is was not a presentation but just a survey and we politely told her no thank you. Well she quickly got an attitude and brushed is off so fast!! My daughter wanted to say something to her on the rudeness but I kept her calm! LOL! So I asked the lady where was the Wall-mart! Well she did not even look up at us and just shoved the map in our face and said here! it is down this road!! How nasty she was!! They need to train better when people do not want to participate in the timeshare or any presentation.

But Over all the place was wonderful, and my two grandchildren had so much fun in the pool area until some nasty mouth children came to the pool without their parents and started using bad language! I think there should be some type of pool person walking around making sure this is ok and when an incident like this comes about they can dismiss them from the pool area until their parents come. I hope this make sense!

We had a two bedroom condo with full kitchen. This resorts was wonderful and yes we will be back!

Room Tip: If you have kids get a room the first floor so the noise level with not bother anyone. We had kids...
Green Features: The young lady at the front desk I spoke about, please have her to be friendly at all times! Even when she has had a long day!! You are customer services!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBischoff, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you, Tanya for the kind words regarding your recent stay with us here at Kingsgate. We will share these with our staff, especially our security personnel who present the very first impression of our resort.. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, but I regret that the associate you spoke to did not present the same posiitve impression. I assure you we will address this behavior with a retraining exercise and work to keep this behavior from repeating. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the Kingsgate for a week after having spent a week at Greensprings Resort a couple months prior. Kingsgate wasn't as fancy and the 2 bedroom wasn't as large or laid out as well, but honestly there is little to complain about. The biggest was the shower, which at first wouldn't stay hot, but after a quick call to maintenance and learning the trick of running the hot water in the sink as well, it was fine. They offered free wi-fi, but it was pretty awful so we couldn't use it. The location was certainly more central and we were much closer to the main attractions and our favorite restaurant, Food for Thought. Great family friendly activities, loved the activities staff, but the pool certainly got a bit crowded at times and many of the games in the game room were out of service.. Though for a free gaming experience, I can't complain too much. The kids loved the mini golf, as well! It was also a major plus that we were located right across the street from the pool/rec area. If we were choosing accommodations for luxuriousness of the room, we would go Greensprings, but for convenience and family fun, we would definitely stay at Kingsgate again. Both did the high pressure sales thing of trying to get you to attend a seminar, so that was a negative on both counts.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBischoff, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you,Tracerracer for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that the amenities met your needs..I apologize that there were some games out of order, and that the pool became crowded at times. These areas are certainly our most popular amenities, and they receive a lot of use. Again, thank you for reaching out and we hope that you will choose our resort on your next visit to Williamsburg.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family of six (2 adults 4 children) stayed in condo 12-301A July 2nd-6 th.

Upon arriving we were greeted very nicely by security at the gate. We went to check in and then had to go to a seperate desk to receive our parking pass and listen to a looong spiel about attending the timeshare presentation. We finally just said we will call you and let you know. We never did because we were only in Williamsburg for 4 nights 5 days and I had already had everything scheduled and planned out.

We arrived at our building to realize that our condo was on the third floor. When you have a family of six staying that's a lot of luggage. My husband was not to happy lugging luggage, groceries and a cooler up all of those steps.

Walking up the stairs for the first time we saw bags of old towels sitting out on the landing that stayed there for three days. Right outside our door was an old cheez it that sat there for days. On Saturday I noticed the cheez it was black. It was covered in ants. It was then my husband and I noticed the trail of ants crawling along our door frame. My husband went to find someone from house keeping. They came and vacuumed it up. Also trash piled up outside because the trash cans are not big enough to hold everyone's trash from their condos.

The condo itself was nice (space, beds, appliances,etc)

The negatives were the crumbs all on the floor when we first walked in (my husband used the vacuum left in the closet and vacuumed) the occasional bugs and an awful odor (smelled like cat urine) throughout the entire condo. There was a nail strip sticking up through the carpet as you would walk into the hall bathroom and I seemed to step on it every time I walked into the bathroom...ouch! The water in the showers was another complaint. Showering my two youngest was a nightmare because they were tired from long days of activities and would have to take showers that wouldn't stay warm. They would be warm for a time and then turn freezing cold and you'd have to wait five minutes or so for it to warm up again. In the meantime my kids would be screaming crying because they were freezing and tired.

Upon packing the van for our trip my husband laughed at me as I threw in a couple of pots and pans as a just in case because we were planning on cooking dinner every night(with such a big family eating out gets way too expensive). Sure enough we get in our condo and it has plates, cups, silverware, cooking utensils but no pots and pans to cook in. I am so glad I brought a few of my own!

The only amenities we used on the property were the arcade and the mini golf so I cannot comment on all of the other amenities. The kids were happy with them so I was happy. We had bounce tickets to water country, Busch gardens, and colonial Williamsburg so we were gone for most part of the day every day but when we were in the condo I felt like I spent majority of my time telling my kids not to run or to be quiet. Third floor is probably not the best place for a family with four children...

Checking out went smoothly even though we are still waiting for the $100 to be refunded to our account. We didn't complain during our stay of the negative things because we were go go go the entire trip and only used the condo to sleep and eat. We did let them know upon checking out and Shae who helped us check in was also the one who checked us out she wrote our complaints down on a post it note. I am hoping they were taken care of before the next tenant arrived.

My last complaint is that we seem to have brought a few of those ants from our condo home with us to Maryland as we found them crawling on our cooler when unpacking the van...

• Stayed July 2014
Richard W, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear mrsrosey,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am glad to hear that overall you felt your trip was great. I am very sorry and concerned to read the comments regarding cleanliness, hot water and kitchen supplies. Rest assured I will address these items personally as we work hard to make sure all our guests experiences are perfect.

We hope to see you again soon in Williamsburg.

Resort Manager

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!