“Overall a great trip(water country, Busch gardens, colonial Williamsburg) with a few negatives in the condo.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% Off Discount
Ranked #27 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family of six (2 adults 4 children) stayed in condo 12-301A July 2nd-6 th.

Upon arriving we were greeted very nicely by security at the gate. We went to check in and then had to go to a seperate desk to receive our parking pass and listen to a looong spiel about attending the timeshare presentation. We finally just said we will call you and let you know. We never did because we were only in Williamsburg for 4 nights 5 days and I had already had everything scheduled and planned out.

We arrived at our building to realize that our condo was on the third floor. When you have a family of six staying that's a lot of luggage. My husband was not to happy lugging luggage, groceries and a cooler up all of those steps.

Walking up the stairs for the first time we saw bags of old towels sitting out on the landing that stayed there for three days. Right outside our door was an old cheez it that sat there for days. On Saturday I noticed the cheez it was black. It was covered in ants. It was then my husband and I noticed the trail of ants crawling along our door frame. My husband went to find someone from house keeping. They came and vacuumed it up. Also trash piled up outside because the trash cans are not big enough to hold everyone's trash from their condos.

The condo itself was nice (space, beds, appliances,etc)

The negatives were the crumbs all on the floor when we first walked in (my husband used the vacuum left in the closet and vacuumed) the occasional bugs and an awful odor (smelled like cat urine) throughout the entire condo. There was a nail strip sticking up through the carpet as you would walk into the hall bathroom and I seemed to step on it every time I walked into the bathroom...ouch! The water in the showers was another complaint. Showering my two youngest was a nightmare because they were tired from long days of activities and would have to take showers that wouldn't stay warm. They would be warm for a time and then turn freezing cold and you'd have to wait five minutes or so for it to warm up again. In the meantime my kids would be screaming crying because they were freezing and tired.

Upon packing the van for our trip my husband laughed at me as I threw in a couple of pots and pans as a just in case because we were planning on cooking dinner every night(with such a big family eating out gets way too expensive). Sure enough we get in our condo and it has plates, cups, silverware, cooking utensils but no pots and pans to cook in. I am so glad I brought a few of my own!

The only amenities we used on the property were the arcade and the mini golf so I cannot comment on all of the other amenities. The kids were happy with them so I was happy. We had bounce tickets to water country, Busch gardens, and colonial Williamsburg so we were gone for most part of the day every day but when we were in the condo I felt like I spent majority of my time telling my kids not to run or to be quiet. Third floor is probably not the best place for a family with four children...

Checking out went smoothly even though we are still waiting for the $100 to be refunded to our account. We didn't complain during our stay of the negative things because we were go go go the entire trip and only used the condo to sleep and eat. We did let them know upon checking out and Shae who helped us check in was also the one who checked us out she wrote our complaints down on a post it note. I am hoping they were taken care of before the next tenant arrived.

My last complaint is that we seem to have brought a few of those ants from our condo home with us to Maryland as we found them crawling on our cooler when unpacking the van...

• Stayed July 2014
Richard W, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear mrsrosey,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am glad to hear that overall you felt your trip was great. I am very sorry and concerned to read the comments regarding cleanliness, hot water and kitchen supplies. Rest assured I will address these items personally as we work hard to make sure all our guests experiences are perfect.

We hope to see you again soon in Williamsburg.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

You know, I have mixed feelings regarding this property actually but I think a 3 star rating is well deserved. Read the online reviews here and went in with low expectations but it is not as bad as others made it out to be. Note that this is a family orientated property and thus there are plenty of children around. Of course, everyone may have a difference experience depending on where you are situated. We stayed here for 2 brief nights in a 1 bedroom unit right behind one of the beautiful lakes. To summarize:

Pros:
-Clean unit and nice appliances
-Friendly staff willing to help
-Close proximity to parks and dining
-Beautiful grounds and wildlife (ducks, turtles, geese, deer if you are an animal lover and enjoy the outdoors)
-Plenty of pools (indoors/outdoors), entertainment (game room, cinema, tennis, etc.)

Cons:
- Lack of consistent hot water in the shower!! I mean really? You state that the property is going green and saving energy using these tankless heaters but I need a hot shower on a daily basis!! My biggest gripe here.
- Paper thin walls. You can hear conversations from other families easily on your floor.
- Filthy pools that had flies, hair, weave, and god knows what else in there. No life guard either. Kids diving left and right in shallow waters. Staff just walks by even though it says no diving.
- No elevator! Be prepared for a workout if you booked a room on the 3rd floor.
- Squeaky bed and not very large (sure this is a "queen" bed?)

I mean all in all if my primary option was not available this would be a reasonable second option. Again, the units are nice and comfortable but certainly not modern. Again, I think this is due to the property trying to take on a "colonial feel" since you are in the south. However, I would not stay more than a few nights due to the issues stated above. Slightly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Chem A,

Thank you for the feedback which allows us the opportunity to focus on the areas you mention. I apologize that your stay was not perfect in every way and offer my assurance that action will be taken as a result of your observations.

I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity in the future.

McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We do not/not recommend this resort. We stayed here last week for two nights. Got a great price, but were very disappointed in the quality of the accommodations--can't say other reviews didn't warn us. It appears that renovations are under way, but despite being assured that all of the rooms were in great condition, we did not find that to be the case. We stayed in an un-renovated building and it was, well... YUCK. Bad, stale smell. Mold in the shower, a toilet that clogged with only a little paper (and when we called to report it, they told us where to find the plunger). Dated and worn out furniture. The public areas weren't bad -- the pool, mini golf course, game room-- but the rooms were sub par by any measure. We didn't bother to complain because they told us at check in that the resort was fully occupied, and we definitely regretted not paying more to stay in a better place. It's hard to leave his resort feeling impressed with anything when your room feels more like a junky motel than a modern resort.

Room Tip: If you must stay, try to ensure you get a room in a renovated building.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear aldots,

We are sorry you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with these issues. We know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured we will have our housekeeping staff address these concerns moving forward to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. By the end of this year all our units will be renovated so we hope you will give us another opportunity and return and see us again.

Thank you for making us aware.

new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I'll try to make this brief.... but it may be hard to do so. Kingsgate was a huge disappointment. We stayed at Kingsgate approximately 5 years in a two-bedroom unit and was quite pleased. This time, we opted for the one bedroom... big mistake. The unit was very dreary... the color schemes were dark and dismal. Kingsgate's definition of a Queen bed in this one bedroom unit is actually a Full. We addressed this with management and was told the mattress is Kingsgate's configuation of a Queen. We own a Queen at home, and this was signficantly much smaller. We did not sleep well the entire week. The mattress was uncomfortable, the sheets were VERY worn and old, coupled w/ hard pillows without pillowcases. The mattress was raised from the floor no more than approx. 2 feet, making us feel we were sleeping in a college room dorm. Also, we were placed in a bottom unit near the main front door. Continuous slamming of the door was a constant disturbance. The soundproofing in this building is so bad, we could hear distinct conversations (that included arguments and yelling) from other tenants. These issues combined pushed us to request another unit with a proper size bed and perhaps not as disturbing neighbors - although it seemed management tried to oblige, no occupancies were availabe for us to relocate. This really ruined much of our vacation... we came home a day earlier because we could not take another night between the uncomfortable bed, constant noise from others penetrating into our unit and the continuous slamming of the outside door. I don't mean to be offensive because I'm sure there are many wonderful people that stay at Kingsgate, but our experience seem off-key with the surroundings as well, for there appeared to be a rough crowd throughout, on the grounds, in the pool area... We were very uncomfortable and stayed away from the resort as much as possible. It is VERY unfortunate for us that we had to experience this kind of stress on a vacation! We left this place very upset. The final nail in the coffin will be a response from a general manager on this site stating he/she is sorry to hear our stay at Kingsgate was less than satisfactory, etc. etc. This cannot give us back our earned vacation time, travel, $$ spent, to be treated this way. May I add... we drove to VA from NY and on our way there, we stayed one night in Fredericksburg at a Best Western. We could not have been more pleased. The room was spacious, clean, two beauitful QUEEN beds with real bed frames, that included high quality cotton bedding and the best pillows ever! Go figure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear fawn761,

I would love to have an opportunity to talk with you if you will be willing to give me a chance to to assist. I cannot change the past you are right, but hope you would feel better after our conversation.

richard.walter@wyn.com
757-259-8479
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our family stayed here last week for 5 nights. Here Is what we thought: the security staff was very friendly and welcoming, nice way to enter a resort area. The check in process left a lot to be desired. There was a greater there saying hello to people but for whatever reason she didn't extend these pleasantries to our family. We were checked in by Brytany, no greeting or welcome from her either. She asked for identification, told us about the $100 deposit for possible damage and then told us our room was not ready, although it was 4 PM. We got our parking pass by the folks trying to convince us to join them for a time share presentation but they weren't bad at all they asked we said no and it ended there. Out room was very nice. We had 1 bedroom with a pull out couch. A little tight for all 4 of us but no complaints room was clean and well thought out. There was a peculiar smell in the bathroom, we called maintenance they told us that the unit was recently updated and it was the residual smell. The units have individual hot water heaters so you need to run the water a while before it warms up. The grounds and amenities were very nice and everyone else was friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to others, would return. Need to address the greeting and check in staff

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Helen D,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I apologize that your room was not ready on time, the room odor, and the lack of a greeting. These are expectations that we certainly should have met and I will be looking into the specifics here.

I am glad that there were some aspects of your stay that were positive and thank you also for this feedback. We hope to see you again soon at Kingsgate.

Wyndham Kingsgate
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our fourth stay at Kingsgate. We were in one of the recently reburbished units. What a great change since our last stay when the furnishings were tired and dirty. The shower stall in the master bedroom bath was enlarged. The tub surround in the other bathroom was replaced. We were in building 7 and had a view of the pond from the deck. We enjoyed watching the ducks and geese around the pond and the frogs serenaded us every night. There were some minor problems. The water had a funny smell, like cat urine, fortunately the smell did not transfer to us. The units have tankless hot water heaters, and several times while I was showering, the water temperature went from hot to almost cold. There are no towels in the kitchen. Once muted, the TVs did not always unmute. So, instead of muting the TV, we would turn the volume down very low. This time we also had a problem with people trying to get into our unit and banging on the door. I would stand on my side of the door and shout that they had the wrong unit but they'd keep trying. The location is great for visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens or Water Country. It is also convenient to Food Lion, K-Mart and a host of shops and restaurants on Richmond Road.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear AuntieFlo,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay. We are very proud of our renovation and we look forward to having 100% of the resort completed by April next year. Thank you also for the feedback regarding the water and the TV. We will look into these items.

We hope to see you again soon at Kingsgate.

Lakeville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the Kingsgate for a few days last week. This was an average property. The staff was nice. The room was clean but small. The common area was a little unkept (there was a piece of tupperware that remained on the landing for the entire time). It is a family-friendly property. The pool/activities area was nice. The property is in close proximity to shops, dining, Busch Gardens, and Colonial Williamsburg. We had a few issues which resulted in my rating. The first was the parking. Each unit had several parking spots adjacent to it, however, none of the parking spots were reserved. We were hardly ever able to park in front of our unit, especially during arrival and departure. I am assuming that people had more than one vehicle per unit, which resulted in us having to park two or three units away. There is no reason that at least one parking spot isn't reserved for each unit. This was very frustrating, especially since the units didn't have any elevators and all luggage had to be carried up the stairs. The second issue was the terrible wi-fi service. Although we were told the property had free wi-fi, we were unable to connect to the network for the first two days, and once we could connect, it only really worked in the lobby. I had to call several times and even had to speak to AT&T directly, but it never really got resolved. Lastly, the automatic gate to get into the property broke on our second day there. Although this is no ones fault, it resulted in major delays getting into the property. Ordinarily, resort guests who are already checked in can use this gate, while those waiting to check in use the gate to the left of it. When the gate broke, they decided to make everyone enter through the gate on the left, rather than manually opening the gate for the guests on the right. Waiting in line with all guests arriving and checking in was frustrating. Luckily, we discovered a gate in the back of the property that we were able to use for the rest of the visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Sally M,

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I was sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many buildings which house a large amount of guests and an increasing number of wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature and apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding common areas, parking and the entrance gate. Certainly these should not have been negatives during your stay and your comments will allow us to improve the resort.

richard.walter@wyn.com

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!