“Wyndham Kingsgate 1 bedroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 20% Off
Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Wyndham Kingsgate 1 bedroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our family stayed here last week for 5 nights. Here Is what we thought: the security staff was very friendly and welcoming, nice way to enter a resort area. The check in process left a lot to be desired. There was a greater there saying hello to people but for whatever reason she didn't extend these pleasantries to our family. We were checked in by Brytany, no greeting or welcome from her either. She asked for identification, told us about the $100 deposit for possible damage and then told us our room was not ready, although it was 4 PM. We got our parking pass by the folks trying to convince us to join them for a time share presentation but they weren't bad at all they asked we said no and it ended there. Out room was very nice. We had 1 bedroom with a pull out couch. A little tight for all 4 of us but no complaints room was clean and well thought out. There was a peculiar smell in the bathroom, we called maintenance they told us that the unit was recently updated and it was the residual smell. The units have individual hot water heaters so you need to run the water a while before it warms up. The grounds and amenities were very nice and everyone else was friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to others, would return. Need to address the greeting and check in staff

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Helen D,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I apologize that your room was not ready on time, the room odor, and the lack of a greeting. These are expectations that we certainly should have met and I will be looking into the specifics here.

I am glad that there were some aspects of your stay that were positive and thank you also for this feedback. We hope to see you again soon at Kingsgate.

Wyndham Kingsgate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our fourth stay at Kingsgate. We were in one of the recently reburbished units. What a great change since our last stay when the furnishings were tired and dirty. The shower stall in the master bedroom bath was enlarged. The tub surround in the other bathroom was replaced. We were in building 7 and had a view of the pond from the deck. We enjoyed watching the ducks and geese around the pond and the frogs serenaded us every night. There were some minor problems. The water had a funny smell, like cat urine, fortunately the smell did not transfer to us. The units have tankless hot water heaters, and several times while I was showering, the water temperature went from hot to almost cold. There are no towels in the kitchen. Once muted, the TVs did not always unmute. So, instead of muting the TV, we would turn the volume down very low. This time we also had a problem with people trying to get into our unit and banging on the door. I would stand on my side of the door and shout that they had the wrong unit but they'd keep trying. The location is great for visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens or Water Country. It is also convenient to Food Lion, K-Mart and a host of shops and restaurants on Richmond Road.

Richard W, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear AuntieFlo,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay. We are very proud of our renovation and we look forward to having 100% of the resort completed by April next year. Thank you also for the feedback regarding the water and the TV. We will look into these items.

We hope to see you again soon at Kingsgate.

Lakeville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the Kingsgate for a few days last week. This was an average property. The staff was nice. The room was clean but small. The common area was a little unkept (there was a piece of tupperware that remained on the landing for the entire time). It is a family-friendly property. The pool/activities area was nice. The property is in close proximity to shops, dining, Busch Gardens, and Colonial Williamsburg. We had a few issues which resulted in my rating. The first was the parking. Each unit had several parking spots adjacent to it, however, none of the parking spots were reserved. We were hardly ever able to park in front of our unit, especially during arrival and departure. I am assuming that people had more than one vehicle per unit, which resulted in us having to park two or three units away. There is no reason that at least one parking spot isn't reserved for each unit. This was very frustrating, especially since the units didn't have any elevators and all luggage had to be carried up the stairs. The second issue was the terrible wi-fi service. Although we were told the property had free wi-fi, we were unable to connect to the network for the first two days, and once we could connect, it only really worked in the lobby. I had to call several times and even had to speak to AT&T directly, but it never really got resolved. Lastly, the automatic gate to get into the property broke on our second day there. Although this is no ones fault, it resulted in major delays getting into the property. Ordinarily, resort guests who are already checked in can use this gate, while those waiting to check in use the gate to the left of it. When the gate broke, they decided to make everyone enter through the gate on the left, rather than manually opening the gate for the guests on the right. Waiting in line with all guests arriving and checking in was frustrating. Luckily, we discovered a gate in the back of the property that we were able to use for the rest of the visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Sally M,

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I was sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many buildings which house a large amount of guests and an increasing number of wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature and apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding common areas, parking and the entrance gate. Certainly these should not have been negatives during your stay and your comments will allow us to improve the resort.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

We have been Wyndham owners now for 5 yrs and this is the worst property we have ever stayed at and will never return too!!! As a owner, you spend a lot of money to have great vacations and this property does not live up to the Wyndham name!!! When we arrived and got into our room, no elevators at all, so prepare to have to carry your stuff up flights of stairs. Housekeeping had just cleaned the rooms and left all of the dirty linens at the bottom of our stairs....repulsive at best!!!! Took them 2 days and 7 phone calls to get it removed!!! I will be posting pictures!!! The toilet was not working, had to have someone come fix that!!! Kitchen sink did not work entire week!!! Asked for a extra blanket...took 4 calls to get and was treated like we were stealing it!!!!! Giving extra blankets is not part of their normal protocol....had to get a manager to approve...REALLY!!!!! For a blanket!!!!

Lied to again by the concierge about the ownership presentation...told this is a customer service location not a sales location...total BS!!! Customer service was the worst I have ever dealt with and the presentation of course turned into a sales pitch...as soon as we said NO, not buying anything...then we got the cold shoulder...great customer service right!!!!

This is an older property that needs complete upgrading to match what Wyndham is selling!!!!

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear NWADADDY,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory experience. I was very concerned to hear of these issues during your stay and I want to assure you that this kind of experience is not the norm.

I would like to be able to research your issues so we can improve the resort. If you have a chance to send me an e-mail with your name and dates of stay I would be appreciative.

Atwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The rooms were clean. The beds were average. The pools were great and it's kid friendly. My family and I love it and would go back, it's in the perfect location where Colonial Williamsburg is less than 5 mins away and Jamestown and Yorktown have a scenic drive.

Room Tip: If you have four or more in your party, I would choose to have a presidential suite for the max amou...
Green Features: There are soo many things for kids of all ages to do, wether it's swimming, playing on the playset, in the game rooms, or watching movies..
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear HayHay1112,

Thank you for your comments and we are very happy you had an amazing stay! Thank you also for your comments regarding the bed comfort. If you have a chance to e-mail me the unit number you were in, or give me your last name, we would like to check the bed.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at Kingsgate.

Oak Hill, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The resort is very nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and polite and the security staff were very helpful. My husband, 6 years old daughter and I stayed June 15-june 21 in a one bedroom lock out. It was plenty of room for the 3 of us. We enjoyed the pool, game rooms and playground. It is conveniently located in Williamsburg, a few minutes drive from all the major attractions. A refrigerator with icemaker would have been a plus, I was a little surprised to find the ice cube tray in freezer.
The drawback that overshadowed the entire trip was the timeshare breakfast at Wyndham's sister resort Kingscrossing. We were told on check in we had to attend since there had been lots of changes in RCI. We were not aware that Wyndham had purchased RCI and were told we HAD to attend informational group breakfast and it was not a sales meeting. They lied. Anyway long story short, we spent from 915am-230pm at this meeting. We finally snuck out when our sales rep went to get "back out papers". We hadn't agreed to anything so I'm not sure what we were backing out of. I think she was going to another salesman to "seal the deal" so we took the opportunity to get out of there. It was a horrible waste of our precious vacation time.
We liked resort and would probably stay here again, but decline any sort of activity related to timeshare.

Dear Kathy W,

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. Thank you also for your feedback regarding your Sales experience. Rest assured this is not the norm and we will use your comments as a training and improvement tool. I am sorry that your visit was not perfect in every way.

We hope to see you again soon.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We had a great stay at this resort. We are Wyndham timeshare owners (have been for 2 years), but this was our first chance to use some of our points. I was a little worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but we had a fantastic experience. We were in one of the newly renovated units so that probably helped.

Everything in the unit was clean and in working order. People need to understand that staying in a condo is different than staying in a hotel though. Sometimes there are little quirks to the things in your unit. For example, once in a while we had to jiggle the handle on the toilet to get it to stop running. And yes, we had to take our garbage downstairs when got full.

The petty things some people have complained about on here are ridiculous. "My wifi signal was too weak!" Boo hoo. Go home then. You're on vacation. You shouldn't be spending all your time on the internet. "I had to climb 3 flights of stairs with my suitcase!" Again, you're not at a hotel. "The vanity in my bathroom was too small!" Really? I hope none of these complainers ever go to Europe. Not only will they be disappointed with their accommodations, but the hotel managers will tell them where they can go if they don't like it there.

The resort accommodations were really nice. My kids used them more than I did. We were so busy in Williamsburg all day that I usually was too tired to do anything when we were at our condo except shower and sleep. I thought the $5/person fee for use of these amenities was kind of annoying. If you've paid your points (or $) for your stay, the use of everything on that property should be included, right?

Our unit was clean (a little dust on a few light fixtures, but no biggie) and quiet. The beds were really comfy — even the sofa bed! The people across the hall were very noisy every time they were in the hallway (thankfully not often), but other than that, we never heard anyone else in the building. We had a balcony, but didn't use it as it only faced some trees that were about 10 feet away. Still, I'd rather have a view of the trees than a view of the parking lot or an air conditioning unit. The security staff at the gate are all super-nice. We didn't purchase any food or drinks at the snack bar. Why would anyone buy crappy nachos poolside when you can have food in the kitchen in your unit?

I have stayed in other rental condos (non-Wyndham) in the past, and one thing that really impressed me about our unit was how nice all the stuff in the kitchen was (plates, cutlery, pots/pans, knives, etc.). There was even a wine opener which always seems to be missing from other rental units! Again, this is a CONDO and not a HOTEL so if you plan on washing dishes in the dishwasher more than twice or doing a load of laundry you'll need to buy/bring some detergent. They only provide 2 dishwasher tabs, a tiny bottle of dish washing liquid, a few small bottles of shampoo/conditioner, one roll of paper towels, and no laundry soap. I expected this so it wasn't a shock to me.

We stayed from a Sunday to a Sunday. Check-in was fairly quick. However, I was near the check-in office on Saturday around 4:00 pm, and it was CRA-ZY. There must have been 50 people in line. If you can, I'd avoid checking in at that time.

Now for the one thing that really irritated me...the sales pitch. Good grief! I AM ON VACATION WITH MY FAMILY!!! I do not want to listen to your one hour "informational" meeting so that you can try to sell me more points. No free dinner or free pass to Busch Gardens is worth the time spent away from my family. And I know it would have been more than one hour. Thanks to the other reviews on here, I was expecting this and was able to shut him down in about 30 seconds. Wyndham, you have gotten all the money you're going to get out of me. I'm not interested in buying more points.

I recommend staying here, but be prepared for the sales "spiel". Be strong and "just say no!"

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear ksvec,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for pointing out some items that could have been better for you. We strive for perfection so all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you at Kingsgate or another Wyndham property soon!

richard.walter@wyn.com

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!