“An enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 20% Off
Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“An enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been owners with Wyndham South Pacific going on 10 years. This is the first Club Wyndham resort we have stayed at having previously stayed Wyndham The Club resorts in San Diego (Mission Valley) and Las Vegas (South Boulevard).

There was a minor issue with check-in that was resolved quickly. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and found the size of the room excellent value for the credits required.

Housekeeping had left a large bundle of dirty linen near the stairs in the entry foyer which they should probably address because it is not a good first impression. There were also bags of trash which previous guests were obviously too lazy to dispose of properly despite instruction they would have received at check-in.

The unit was clean, well appointed and very spacious. We were on the second floor so noise from above was an occasional issue but typical of most condo style apartments. Noise was certainly no where near as bad as our most recent stay in Asheville.

WI-FI was flaky but then again WI-FI can be problematic and if you really need a reliable internet connection they do have a business centre.

Noticed some over reviews complained about on-site parking. Our building of six units was completely occupied for most of our 14 night stay and we never had issues with parking out front.

The surrounding grounds were well kept and we spent many an afternoon by one of the ponds watching turtles bask in the sun and ducks swimming.

The resort is well placed for Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory centre. Richmond is only 45 minutes away and worth a trip to the Capitol building, the Confederate White House, Canal walk and Tredegar Iron Works.

We would not hesitate to stay at Wyndham Kingsgate were we to once again visit Williamsburg.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Bel Air
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

The 2nd bedroom is okay for 1 person or 2 small children but not adults. It is extremely small. The main bedroom is nice. The icemaker didn't work. They had tankless water heater. It takes a long time to get hot water. Its okay to stay at but will not be my 1st choice again

• Stayed April 2014
Plainfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband, 11 year old daughter and her friend arrived on April 18, 2014 at approximately 12:30PM. We figured that because we were so much earlier than the 4PM check in that we would do the paperwork, go shopping, and come back later for our room key. Upon entering the reception area there was a short wait as they were having some difficulty with the computers. We were checked in within 10 minutes and then the concierge gave us a folder with restaurant brochures and then the offer to get the extra points and the breakfast sell came. They definitely attempted to be persuasive a little pushy, but not as bad as I was prepared for. They accepted the no and we happily went on our way to building 18-202A. There was no problem with parking and there was a beautiful waterfall, gazebo and grill outside out building and pic-nic tables in the back. Upon entering the building we immediately saw a huge bundle or dirty linens and towels in the corner near the stairs (not the best first impression). Luckily we had requested a 2nd floor unit and received it. Upon entering our unit we were pleasantly met with a remodeled unit which was very nice but appeared larger in the pictures. Unit appeared clean with the exception of the balcony furniture which had a thick layer of pollen which appeared to have been there for some time (I called and Juanelle came and cleaned it and did a great job). We did have a balcony view of the recycling dumpster. There was also dried toothpaste on the wall in the bathroom in the master bedroom. We unloaded our luggage and went to Walmart for groceries which was just minutes away, had dinner at Chik-fil-a on the way. Upon returning 4 hours later we were still met with the dirty laundry as well as a bag of garbage in the hall way (could blame the garbage on nasty neighbors who were too lazy to take their garbage just outside the door to the garbage can). I called and left a message for housekeeping about the garbage. The garbage was gone the next morning when we left to go to Colonial Williamsburg, however wrappers, aluminum foil and such were scattered on the first floor and remained their for the duration of our 7 day stay. The girls really enjoyed the game room. They also went to the Easter Basket Hunt, the pool and the bear creation ($15). At the resort my husband and I attended bingo, a John Rollison presentation and I attended Yoga on both occasions offered and was really impressed by the instructor. She was very detailed and explained every movement and how it remedies specific health conditions. I would go to her class regularly if I was local. I had no problem with the hot water, I turned th shower on while I brushed my teeth at the sink and the water was hot by the time I got into the shower. All in all, the resort was great as far as activities and is very child friendly. We would have had plenty to do at the resort if we had opted out of the area attractions such as Busch Gardens and Ripley's Believe it or Not. The resort can definitely afford to tighten up with the thoroughness of the cleaning of the common spaces but this was not a deal breaker. The resort is also close to EVERYTHING such as restaurants, convenience stores and no more than five minutes from most of the major attractions. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Top floor if possible. First floor door slams when people come & go. Sound proofing was not go...
Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here with extended family. There were 12 of us. The staff was very accommodating, putting us in rooms one above the other. The amenities were plentiful. Everything was clean and taken care of. The location was close to all of our outings. We would definitely recommend it and would come back.

Hugh B, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Reena,

We are so disappointed to hear that your interaction with our resort staff did not meet your expectations, and that the cleanliness of our arcade did not meet your standard. This is not a good example of the Count On Me service which we are know for at Wyndham.

It is imperative that our guests are treated well and we can assure you that we will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Hugh Bischoff
Assistant Resort Manager
hugh.bischoff@wyn.com
Charles Town, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Kingsgate seems to have gone downhill lately. I have heard tourism is down in Williamsburg so perhaps this is why the upkeep is not so hot. I stayed here five years ago and it was beautiful. This recent Easter visit I rented a two bedroom, two bath with a very small kitchen overlooking a pond with a fountain. Check in was brutal. After driving for five hours, we just want to unload our things and unwind. There was a horrendous long line and I was disgusted to see the hold up wasn't in taking deposits or charging the daily activity fee (ridiculous for things nobody uses) but in giving the timeshare spiel- seriously??!! Then we were put on the second floor of a three story so when our third floor neighbors awoke at 7 am so did we- uggh. I can't be mad at them because obviously there is just no soundproofing here. During the day I could hear my next door neighbors having a yelling match- oh the joys of vacation. Then in the unit I can see upgrades have been done such as new granite in the kitchen, yet then the sliding door handle to our balcony was just literally falling off. I thought this was why timeshare owners are charged maintenance fees but okay. I did enjoy having a king bed in the master and it was on the firm side but not uncomfortable. Parking is obnoxious. It would be nice to have one designated spot for each unit so you don't end up parking two blocks away loading and unloading your car. The unit was clean but just reeked of ammonia which if you are not familiar with that smell- think cat urine. All in all it was nice to have a two bedroom with a balcony to the pond but a lot of annoying details make it just an "eh" visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the very top floor unless you want to wake to the sound of stomping feet over y...
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our family of 5 spent 4 nights in these very nice condos. It was a very convenient location. It was well appointed.
I agree with previous posts that state the noise can be a factor. You hear everything, even doors closing in other areas. We were all asleep in our beds, and we got a pounding on the door from someone below yelling "Keep it down"...it wasn't us, but I could hear the noises he was hearing..so that was a bit dismaying, but that was the only negative I can report about this place. My kids loved the arcade (games were free). Staff was friendly, and we did not get any big sales pitch, like I had read with others. They did ask on check-in, but we politely refused, and heard nothing else during our stay.
We have already recommended this to family and they will be going in the fall. We got a nice price for a 2 bedroom unit by doing some searching around on google.

Room Tip: I would say to try for a top floor
Wilton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Now that we've figured out the credit system we've used three properties on this year's maintenance fees. It costs credits and an exchange fee that comes down to a very fair price for a sweet apartment for a week. We attended their RCI Informational seminar and got two three day passes to Colonial Williamsburg in exchange. The unit was great! Large living room with dining room furniture. The smaller dishwasher actually held more that most. Plenty of kitchen tools, pans, bowls, really well equipped. The bedroom was nice, with doors into the bathroom from living room and bedroom. The washer and dryer were valuable! Really close to everything. Great week!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!