“don't go here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% Off Discount
Ranked #28 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“don't go here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort last spring as a timeshare exchange and were terribly disappointed. The front desk charged us an extra $75 for cleaning and the $ 15 for amenities which we did not use. The outdoor pool was not open , the golf was not open , nor was the restaurant . The chang room for the indoor pool was also closed .When I said we did not need or want the amenities , the staff member laughed at us and replied "what's the big deal, it' s only $15. I always thought that cleaning the unit was a cost of doing business but apparently not here. It will cost the extra $75. The 1 bedroom unit was TINY and the kitchen ill- equipped. We left one day early, We will NOT EVER GO BACK.

Room Tip: N o tip, just don't go there.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We recently stayed at the Williamsburg Kingsgate Resort – 2 bedroom unit. Nice resort close to Colonial Williamsburg. Furniture was in decent condition. If you like comfortable paper products, I would suggest taking them with you. One thing that was confusing was the trash disposal situation. You leave trash in front of the unit. Each morning the bags were torn apart by animals and the maintenance staff picked it up. Why not have an enclosed area to deposit trash? It probably would be more cost effective and much more appealing.

Pros: Unit was in good location.
Unit was clean
Friendly front desk staff

Cons: Beds were very soft. Constantly felt as if you were “sinking”
Activity fee of $5.00/day is charged. You are issued wrist bands to use facilities.
We stayed 7 days and never used any of the facilities, but you are still charged.
Hot water takes forever!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We booked our two bedroom suite through hotel.com and got a great price. We didn't realize until we arrived and checked in that it was a timeshare. Apparently, these are rentals managed by the resort itself for owners not using that time period. After check-in, we were directed to the concierge to obtain our parking pass and maps of the area. Along with this, we were asked to fill out a survey of our demographic information (including income) which we questioned. We were told that they needed that information to invite us to their catered breakfast and 60-minute presentation, upon which we would receive a $70 AMEX gift card and a 3-day ticket for Colonial Williamsburg. So......we went to the breakfast and honestly, it really put a damper on our trip. The concept is much better than the timeshare nightmares of the past and for those people who would enjoy membership, that's great. However, it's still a pressured environment and the sales staff are determined to talk you into the deal of a lifetime. We were told up front it wouldn't even take 60 minutes and yet we were there 3 hours. We weren't interested and was able to say no but again, the pressure continued to the very end, even when we picked up our $70 AMEX gift card. Of course, we weren't offered any other deals that others speak of in the reviews which is fine but honestly, there has to be a better way to sell. They said they own a greal deal of entities, including Hotels.com, Expedia and Travelocity. So a word to the wise....just be careful and know what you're getting into when you find a great low-priced deal like Wyndham, and even when you accept their invite to a catered breakfast. Even after our saying NO we were semi-tricked into speaking to a customer rep who then also tried to sell us a less expensive package. Wow....it truly doesn't end until you get out the door. Almost reminded me of those nightmare timeshare experiences of the past. Would definitely consider the resort again, accommodations were great but will definitely say NO to the demograhics survey and NO to the catered breakfast (existing of paper plates, usual breakfast items) and then ushered to the sell area so we could eat fast and begin (not my idea of a catered breakfast).

Room Tip: The two-bedroom suite was very spacious and provided ample room to relax, as well as privacy.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had reservations for 2-2 bedroom units for 2 nights in advance of our stay. I own a timeshare but since we were staying only 2 nights, I decided to pay for the rooms instead of using 2 whole weeks in trade,
When we got there, I was told they had been trying to get ahold of me (I had given them my phone number when I made my reservation) to let me know they had some mainenance problems (or overbooked???) and they had made arrangements for us to go to another place about 2 miles away. The place was lovely and they were very nice to us, but I had booked the Wyndham so my family and the children in our group could enjoy the indoor pool, putting green, cinema house and arcade on the property. The replacement accomodations had none of those ammenities except for a very small arcade room. They did give us a pass to give us access to those recreational activities there but we never used it. It would have been hard enough in November to get small children from the pool back to our room at the same facility , but 2 miles down the road wasn't very practical.

We were disappointed but they did give me a Visa card with $100 on it. Even so, I would be leary to do this again. I think if I had traded 2 weeks of timeshare time for it, they would have found room for us. At least it would have taken more than $100 to get us to go away.

One good thing, we weren't there long enough to get the "timeshare pitch".

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate with a large group (my extended family), we had about 6 units between all of us. As several other reviewers have pointed out, this facility is a timeshare, so you may have to deal with some of that nonsense (though I honestly didn't feel the hard sell for the several days I was there). The Kingsgate served as a good base camp for our family for day trips to Colonial Wiliamsburg, the Jamestown Settlement, Busch Gardens, etc.

The good: As mentioned, the location is pretty convenient. The pools looked great (we were here in November, so it was a bit too chilly for the outdoor pools), the mini-golf course was fun and well-maintained, and the (many) kids in our group loved the two arcade rooms (all games were free). There were also tennis courts that looked well-maintained, and a decent playground for younger kids. There are two room configurations (one bedroom and two bedroom), both are laid out well and both have small but serviceable kitchens.

The bad: The timeshare thing can be annoying, but isn't a dealbreaker. The biggest drawback for me was the noise. We could hear people in the units next to us (not so bad), but if you are in a unit with people above you you will definitely hear them walk/stomp/sit. As annoying as this was, we didn't really notice it before 8 a.m. or much after 10 p.m...not sure if this was due to an older crowd being in the rooms for Thanksgiving, but it wasn't too bad for us but it could be horrible with early birds or night owls in units around you.

I wouldn't rush back to the Kingsgate, but I would definitely consider it for a family gathering. All the kids in our group loved it, and it was easy to keep track of them and not have to worry about them wandering off as the facility is gated and removed from heavy traffic. For the price, the amenities and the overall experience, I would say this is a decent option for family travelers and vacationers.

bel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This resort is actually a timeshare where they have not sold all the rooms. We did not know when we booked (and paid approx $150 per night). During checkin they give you the hard sell to come to a breakfast to fill out a survey - is acutally a timeshare pitch.They will pay you to go to this 1-2 hour session. They will start by offering a few free Williamsburg tickts or an AMSX gift card for $70...but if you hold out they will pay you over $200 to go to the breakfast. If yu gov to the breakfast for under $200 you have been had.

Rooms and property are fine for a few nights, guildings are cheap and pools are small but it is as good as many of the hotels in the area.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom units are large, 1 bedroom units are very small with no deck.
Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I will start my review by getting the "bad stuff" out of the way and then will get into my review of the lodging itself.

The bad part is that this is a timeshare. When you check in you will be told to proceed to the concierge to get your parking pass. One might wonder why they cannot give you the parking pass when you check in....it's because the concierge is going to be sneaky and end up signing you up for a 2-hour breakfast (or lunch)/timeshare presentation. When you go to the concierge they will give you some paperwork to fill out your demographics. You will not be told why you are filling it out. We really didn't want to divulge some of the information they were asking, especially our income, but they said if we filled the paperwork out completely they would give us a gift. Information was only given to us in bits and pieces and only on an as needed basis...and I found this VERY sneaky and REALLY annoying. Fast forward...we filled it out and ended up with 3 days passes to Colonial Williamsburg and a $50 gift card to use anywhere. Our whole purpose for visiting Williamsburg was to spend a few days in Colonial Williamsburg so this worked out quite well for us. Between the four of us we saved $200 in admission tickets plus got that extra $50 gift card for souvenirs. The breakfast we got was fine..sausage, egg, grits, biscuits...the usual. The presentation itself was painful but mostly because we had no intention whatsoever of buying. But, in all fairness, the sales woman we had was really funny and very charming. It was hard to turn her down but we did. From start to finish plan on being there at least 2 hours (not one hour like they tell you) and be prepared to be almost convinced to buy in. To be honest, timeshares are not the inflexible mess they used to be and for families who actually want to sign up Wyndham does seem like a great choice...it's just not something we, personally, wanted to get involved with. But if you DO plan to buy, here is a HUGE tip! Say no! Your sales person will do everything they can to get you to commit but say no and let them send you over to the "closer" to tidy up some last minute details. That closer is going to save you a whole bunch more money because they will offer you not one but two more very intriguing offers! The closer really up's the ante so make sure you hold out. :-)

OK that's enough about that. Now onto the resort itself.

Resort Amenities
We did not have an opportunity to use any of the amenities but they offered an outdoor pool, mini golf, a fitness center, a movie room and a hot tub. There may be more but that is why I saw. They also have a little deli on site where you can get some convenience store type of food as well as sandwiches. Did not go in, though.

The room
My husband and I stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with my parents. All of the rooms were spacious with ample closet space. There was also a separate kitchen and dining area that will comfortably seat 6.The carpets were very clean so I wasn't skeeved out to walk around in my stocking feet. The kitchen was adequately stocked with appliances that included an oven (electric), dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster and microwave. Pots and pans and all necessary utensils were also provided. The only two complaints about the room were small tv's and the hot water took FOREVER in the shower. Apparently, this was by design to save the members lots of money on the water bill. Oh, and the wi-fi was free and pretty stable.

Location
The location of the Wyndham Kingsgate is awesome if you are planning to visit Colonial Williamsburg...it's about 1 mile or so away! Also in the area are lots of restaurants, shopping (a HUGE wal-mart, Home Depot, K Mart....).

Other than the timeshare schpiel we really liked staying here and would definitely stay here again if we visit again. Although we liked the savings, we would probably skip the timeshare presentation next time, though.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor so no one is above you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!