“Disappointed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 20% Off
Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had reservations for 2-2 bedroom units for 2 nights in advance of our stay. I own a timeshare but since we were staying only 2 nights, I decided to pay for the rooms instead of using 2 whole weeks in trade,
When we got there, I was told they had been trying to get ahold of me (I had given them my phone number when I made my reservation) to let me know they had some mainenance problems (or overbooked???) and they had made arrangements for us to go to another place about 2 miles away. The place was lovely and they were very nice to us, but I had booked the Wyndham so my family and the children in our group could enjoy the indoor pool, putting green, cinema house and arcade on the property. The replacement accomodations had none of those ammenities except for a very small arcade room. They did give us a pass to give us access to those recreational activities there but we never used it. It would have been hard enough in November to get small children from the pool back to our room at the same facility , but 2 miles down the road wasn't very practical.

We were disappointed but they did give me a Visa card with $100 on it. Even so, I would be leary to do this again. I think if I had traded 2 weeks of timeshare time for it, they would have found room for us. At least it would have taken more than $100 to get us to go away.

One good thing, we weren't there long enough to get the "timeshare pitch".

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate with a large group (my extended family), we had about 6 units between all of us. As several other reviewers have pointed out, this facility is a timeshare, so you may have to deal with some of that nonsense (though I honestly didn't feel the hard sell for the several days I was there). The Kingsgate served as a good base camp for our family for day trips to Colonial Wiliamsburg, the Jamestown Settlement, Busch Gardens, etc.

The good: As mentioned, the location is pretty convenient. The pools looked great (we were here in November, so it was a bit too chilly for the outdoor pools), the mini-golf course was fun and well-maintained, and the (many) kids in our group loved the two arcade rooms (all games were free). There were also tennis courts that looked well-maintained, and a decent playground for younger kids. There are two room configurations (one bedroom and two bedroom), both are laid out well and both have small but serviceable kitchens.

The bad: The timeshare thing can be annoying, but isn't a dealbreaker. The biggest drawback for me was the noise. We could hear people in the units next to us (not so bad), but if you are in a unit with people above you you will definitely hear them walk/stomp/sit. As annoying as this was, we didn't really notice it before 8 a.m. or much after 10 p.m...not sure if this was due to an older crowd being in the rooms for Thanksgiving, but it wasn't too bad for us but it could be horrible with early birds or night owls in units around you.

I wouldn't rush back to the Kingsgate, but I would definitely consider it for a family gathering. All the kids in our group loved it, and it was easy to keep track of them and not have to worry about them wandering off as the facility is gated and removed from heavy traffic. For the price, the amenities and the overall experience, I would say this is a decent option for family travelers and vacationers.

bel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This resort is actually a timeshare where they have not sold all the rooms. We did not know when we booked (and paid approx $150 per night). During checkin they give you the hard sell to come to a breakfast to fill out a survey - is acutally a timeshare pitch.They will pay you to go to this 1-2 hour session. They will start by offering a few free Williamsburg tickts or an AMSX gift card for $70...but if you hold out they will pay you over $200 to go to the breakfast. If yu gov to the breakfast for under $200 you have been had.

Rooms and property are fine for a few nights, guildings are cheap and pools are small but it is as good as many of the hotels in the area.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom units are large, 1 bedroom units are very small with no deck.
Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I will start my review by getting the "bad stuff" out of the way and then will get into my review of the lodging itself.

The bad part is that this is a timeshare. When you check in you will be told to proceed to the concierge to get your parking pass. One might wonder why they cannot give you the parking pass when you check in....it's because the concierge is going to be sneaky and end up signing you up for a 2-hour breakfast (or lunch)/timeshare presentation. When you go to the concierge they will give you some paperwork to fill out your demographics. You will not be told why you are filling it out. We really didn't want to divulge some of the information they were asking, especially our income, but they said if we filled the paperwork out completely they would give us a gift. Information was only given to us in bits and pieces and only on an as needed basis...and I found this VERY sneaky and REALLY annoying. Fast forward...we filled it out and ended up with 3 days passes to Colonial Williamsburg and a $50 gift card to use anywhere. Our whole purpose for visiting Williamsburg was to spend a few days in Colonial Williamsburg so this worked out quite well for us. Between the four of us we saved $200 in admission tickets plus got that extra $50 gift card for souvenirs. The breakfast we got was fine..sausage, egg, grits, biscuits...the usual. The presentation itself was painful but mostly because we had no intention whatsoever of buying. But, in all fairness, the sales woman we had was really funny and very charming. It was hard to turn her down but we did. From start to finish plan on being there at least 2 hours (not one hour like they tell you) and be prepared to be almost convinced to buy in. To be honest, timeshares are not the inflexible mess they used to be and for families who actually want to sign up Wyndham does seem like a great choice...it's just not something we, personally, wanted to get involved with. But if you DO plan to buy, here is a HUGE tip! Say no! Your sales person will do everything they can to get you to commit but say no and let them send you over to the "closer" to tidy up some last minute details. That closer is going to save you a whole bunch more money because they will offer you not one but two more very intriguing offers! The closer really up's the ante so make sure you hold out. :-)

OK that's enough about that. Now onto the resort itself.

Resort Amenities
We did not have an opportunity to use any of the amenities but they offered an outdoor pool, mini golf, a fitness center, a movie room and a hot tub. There may be more but that is why I saw. They also have a little deli on site where you can get some convenience store type of food as well as sandwiches. Did not go in, though.

The room
My husband and I stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with my parents. All of the rooms were spacious with ample closet space. There was also a separate kitchen and dining area that will comfortably seat 6.The carpets were very clean so I wasn't skeeved out to walk around in my stocking feet. The kitchen was adequately stocked with appliances that included an oven (electric), dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster and microwave. Pots and pans and all necessary utensils were also provided. The only two complaints about the room were small tv's and the hot water took FOREVER in the shower. Apparently, this was by design to save the members lots of money on the water bill. Oh, and the wi-fi was free and pretty stable.

Location
The location of the Wyndham Kingsgate is awesome if you are planning to visit Colonial Williamsburg...it's about 1 mile or so away! Also in the area are lots of restaurants, shopping (a HUGE wal-mart, Home Depot, K Mart....).

Other than the timeshare schpiel we really liked staying here and would definitely stay here again if we visit again. Although we liked the savings, we would probably skip the timeshare presentation next time, though.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor so no one is above you.
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in a sister resort and so I won't judge the accommodations completely with the exception that Kingsgate is looking rather dated with their deferred maintenance issues. LOTS of peeling paint, water damage from bad drainage from gutters, etc...

What I will say as in the title. Do NOT under ANY circumstances do the sales pitch there. They were awful! They lied about the time it would take to do the presentation saying it would only take 60 minutes. In reality it took 2 hours. They said they were providing lunch which they did but it was not what they promised and thus I couldn't eat it. So, I spent the 2 hours being VERY hungry. From the moment we walked in we were treated as if we were an animal ready for slaughter. There was an expectation you would buy (which isn't bad except that when it was clear we wouldn't they put us through the wringer and treated us like contaminated meat.)

NO respect for us, our time or our money! We have always planed to buy at Wyndham but they have really convinced me it isn't a great idea!

I do not begrudge anyone who is trying to sell. But, there is a basic need for respect and these poor souls didn't seem to know that.

If you do plan to go through this horrific experience. I would recommend you ask for as much money from them as possible, eat BEFORE you go and plan at least 2 hours NOT one.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for a few days with friends and had a great time. They had so much to do for the kids. You can rent movies for $2.00, arcade and many other things to keep the kids occupied. The rooms are very clean and you feel like you are home when staying here. It is so close to historic Williamsburg just a few minute drive.

• Stayed November 2012
utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to the D.C. area. We were in Williamsburg for 3 nights and enjoyed Jamestown, Yorktown, and historic Williamsburg. We found great places to eat and had a good time. The resort is beautiful and there are so many things to do from tennis, swimming, movies and other things that are offered. We were in a 2 bedroom 2 bath and the only drawback was no elevator (we were on the 3rd floor). But that was the only thing that wasn't perfect. The room was beautiful and the resort ground are great. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going to Williamsburg.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!