“Don't do the sales presentation no matter what they promise you!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% Off Discount
Ranked #28 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City, MO
“Don't do the sales presentation no matter what they promise you!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in a sister resort and so I won't judge the accommodations completely with the exception that Kingsgate is looking rather dated with their deferred maintenance issues. LOTS of peeling paint, water damage from bad drainage from gutters, etc...

What I will say as in the title. Do NOT under ANY circumstances do the sales pitch there. They were awful! They lied about the time it would take to do the presentation saying it would only take 60 minutes. In reality it took 2 hours. They said they were providing lunch which they did but it was not what they promised and thus I couldn't eat it. So, I spent the 2 hours being VERY hungry. From the moment we walked in we were treated as if we were an animal ready for slaughter. There was an expectation you would buy (which isn't bad except that when it was clear we wouldn't they put us through the wringer and treated us like contaminated meat.)

NO respect for us, our time or our money! We have always planed to buy at Wyndham but they have really convinced me it isn't a great idea!

I do not begrudge anyone who is trying to sell. But, there is a basic need for respect and these poor souls didn't seem to know that.

If you do plan to go through this horrific experience. I would recommend you ask for as much money from them as possible, eat BEFORE you go and plan at least 2 hours NOT one.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for a few days with friends and had a great time. They had so much to do for the kids. You can rent movies for $2.00, arcade and many other things to keep the kids occupied. The rooms are very clean and you feel like you are home when staying here. It is so close to historic Williamsburg just a few minute drive.

• Stayed November 2012
utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to the D.C. area. We were in Williamsburg for 3 nights and enjoyed Jamestown, Yorktown, and historic Williamsburg. We found great places to eat and had a good time. The resort is beautiful and there are so many things to do from tennis, swimming, movies and other things that are offered. We were in a 2 bedroom 2 bath and the only drawback was no elevator (we were on the 3rd floor). But that was the only thing that wasn't perfect. The room was beautiful and the resort ground are great. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going to Williamsburg.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Central Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stay btw Oct 28-Nov 4, 2012. Checking in was handled very well and by competent people.Speak w/Jacqueline, our concierge, she was lovely!

Two bedroom w/kitchenette is nice. Sort of smelly so we bought a candle. Light bulbs are such a low wattage in the kitchen and dining room that it's difficult to see/use (lends a new meaning to candle lit dinner).

Wi-fi was intermittent @ best. Stove took 1/2hr just to preheat to 400...ugh. Couches are oddly uncomfortable. The bed was VERY uncomfortable, almost like we could feel the springs. Only 4 hangers in each closet. They do provide toilet paper, dish soap and laundry detergent. Unit had a small washer and dryer which was nice.

The activity center was good; heated (actually really heated nicely) indoor pool w/a bathroom and one shower & lockers (bring your own lock); a nice exercise room/equipment, game room (free to play games, technically, but don't forget that you're paying a mandatory $5 activity fee per day of your stay so it's not "free"). Movies and books to rent, a movie theater, outdoor pool and putt-putt.

Once you check in you're ushered to the concierge desk to obtain your parking ticket. There, they give you ideas to go during your stay etc. Very helpful. They also advise you that your morning after check-in, they offer you a wonderful breakfast catered by Rocco's Smokehouse and you'll fill out a "how did your check in go" and by attending you will receive 2 tickets to Colonial Williamsburg...a $48 value each. Actually it's one of those 60-90minute sales pitch breakfasts where they tell you why they're so great and you should purchase. We didn't attend.

This resort is very centrally located which really beat out any issues we may have had. We do not own here however our week stay was a gift from a family member & we would stay here again, providing we could get a room change to a more comfy bed (?).

Room Tip: Bring some extra hangers. They provide all kitchen utensils and appliances, laundry and kitchen soap...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
mississauga,ontario,canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at Wyndham Kingsgate Resort in Colonial Williamsburg in October 2012 and had a great time.The grounds and facilities are top notch and kept spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. The one bedroom dondo was a good size except there was only 1 queen size bed and a pull out. The kitchen was ok with a two burner cook top, full fridge and a micro wave. The sink was barely adequate to wash dishes but how many dishes are you washing? The kitchen was along one wall with a two person eating area in/adjacent to the living room.
The only negative thing I have to say is the "free breakfast" aka the sales pitch to have you convert to a Wyndham timeshare plan. Unless you really want to hear it don't do it.The breakfast was ok but not worth the sales lecture by an egocentric "Doctor" of Wyndham. It was nice to see what the Governor's Green offered, also a Wyndham resort but pretty much a waste of a morning.But then the two free three day passes to Colonial Williamsburg compensated (saved $82). The sales ptch was not high pressure and we left with our breakfast,tour of the Governr's Green and our free passes with no hassle.
Colonial Williamsburg is interesting and worth a visit but really just another theme park. We visited Yorkton and Jonestown also and in doing so wound up on a free ferry ride across the Bay, very nice boat ride. The area is teeming with history if that's your thing. There's lots of good restaurants closeby as well as shopping malls. If you like buffets there's a Golden Corral very near.
You need a car to get around the area. It seems as though they built a city in the middle of a forest and left all the trees in place.
Visit Virginia Beach while you're there its about an hour's drive and a beautiful long beach and boardwalk (concrete boardwalk???) with shops and restaurants. Stop at the visitors centre as you go into the city its worth it. If you like jet aircraft Virginia Beach is good for watching F18's roar over every few minutes.
We'd go again to Williamsburg if only because the resort was so clean and friendly and the pools and spa were still open second week of October.The weather was low 70's/high 60's and sunny.

Room Tip: There is no room service, you have to make your own bed and take out the garbage. Get a second or th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I rated these a 5 and I think that is so. The suites are lovely and they have every amenity. They are reasonably priced. Go through a online agency and compare. They will try to sell you a timeshare but are not heavy handed. The only negative comment I have is that we didn't realize there would be no daily maid service (not a big deal) but we didn't have coffee supplies. However there is a Kmart in walking distance. We did have a great time. The place must be wonderful in summer. Staff was great.

• Stayed October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this resort in March of 2012 - just read some of the negative reviews and felt it my duty to give a positive one. The 2 bedroom unit we stayed in was very clean - although I had brought my own laundry detergent and cleaning supplies as I will clean again no matter where I stay - the carpet was relatively new and did not have stains - there was no hair on floors etc. The sheets were clean and fresh as I inspect the beds as soon as I arrive at any hotel. No sign of bed bugs and I looked all over the bed and box spring etc. I never use the draws at any hotel and do not allow my bags to sit on the floors. Never noticed animals in the garbage they seemed to pick it up quite regularly. We were in an end unit so didn't notice much noise at all. The kitchen was well stocked and we were provided with complimentary soap, garbage bags, toilet paper, papertowel etc. As I knew this was a condo resort I also packed extra of these other things as well so as not to be charged if we ran out. The point is to remember that this is a condo resort so it is like renting a home or condo you still need to provide some things for yourself. There were plenty of towels and I had no problem doing laundry as I had only packed enough clothes for 5 days - I do laundry even when I am camping so it is no problem for me. The people who complain about no room service amazes me as this is not a hotel it is a condo resort - you are provided with amenities not room service. It you want that then you should stay at a luxury hotel. I was actually surprised by the the quality of the appliances in the kitchen, while the couch may not be the most comfortable it was clean. The indoor pool was not functioning so we were able to use the pool at the sister resort just down the road which was lovely. We had no pressure sales pitch actually no pitch at all and we are not owners. I was provided with an RCI certificate as a gift from my boss. The resort staff was helpfull and very friendly. As a matter of fact I injured myself on the mini putt course. It was my own fault and I was cleaning my knee in the bathroom at the games building and one of the staff came in noticed what I was doing and immediately asked if I was ok and went and got me bandaids and anticeptic wipes. As well she reported the injury to her boss - who then called the security staff to have someone take an incident report. I felt it was not necessary for them to do this as I had only scraped my knee. Later when I was back in my room - the manager telephoned to ask if I was ok and had I suffered anything more than scraping my knee - he also wanted to know if I needed to see a dr. or go to the local emergency as they would take me if needed. I was also asked the same thing by the security staff. They went above and beyond what was needed for a scraped knee. We did have an issue with our telephone and also a remote. When we called for maintenance - we spoke directly to someone and another person arrived at our room quickly. He replaced the cord on our telephone and figured out the remote problem - turns out the remote from the living room had got mixed up with the remote in the second bedroom. He didn't complain that we had called him for something so trivial and while he was there my husband asked him about the air conditioning unit as it was not working that well. He immediately took a look at it and then went outside to check on something out there. He explained that it was early in the season and they were having unusually warm weather for march so the air conditioning units were not completely ready for the warm weather as yet. What ever he did it worked and the air conditioner worked much better after that. The grounds at this resort were beautiful and well maintained and games rooms etc very clean. Did not have any issues with any staff as they were all friendly and they were always around. We travelled 12 hours from Canada to get to this resort and we were very pleased with our stay and location. We actually plan to stay again next spring.

Room Tip: Choose a 2 or 3 bedroom unit and try and stay in an end unit - we were not near the pool but we coul...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!