“Colonail Williamsburg, Kingsgate” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 80 hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
mississauga,ontario,canada
“Colonail Williamsburg, Kingsgate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at Wyndham Kingsgate Resort in Colonial Williamsburg in October 2012 and had a great time.The grounds and facilities are top notch and kept spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. The one bedroom dondo was a good size except there was only 1 queen size bed and a pull out. The kitchen was ok with a two burner cook top, full fridge and a micro wave. The sink was barely adequate to wash dishes but how many dishes are you washing? The kitchen was along one wall with a two person eating area in/adjacent to the living room.
The only negative thing I have to say is the "free breakfast" aka the sales pitch to have you convert to a Wyndham timeshare plan. Unless you really want to hear it don't do it.The breakfast was ok but not worth the sales lecture by an egocentric "Doctor" of Wyndham. It was nice to see what the Governor's Green offered, also a Wyndham resort but pretty much a waste of a morning.But then the two free three day passes to Colonial Williamsburg compensated (saved $82). The sales ptch was not high pressure and we left with our breakfast,tour of the Governr's Green and our free passes with no hassle.
Colonial Williamsburg is interesting and worth a visit but really just another theme park. We visited Yorkton and Jonestown also and in doing so wound up on a free ferry ride across the Bay, very nice boat ride. The area is teeming with history if that's your thing. There's lots of good restaurants closeby as well as shopping malls. If you like buffets there's a Golden Corral very near.
You need a car to get around the area. It seems as though they built a city in the middle of a forest and left all the trees in place.
Visit Virginia Beach while you're there its about an hour's drive and a beautiful long beach and boardwalk (concrete boardwalk???) with shops and restaurants. Stop at the visitors centre as you go into the city its worth it. If you like jet aircraft Virginia Beach is good for watching F18's roar over every few minutes.
We'd go again to Williamsburg if only because the resort was so clean and friendly and the pools and spa were still open second week of October.The weather was low 70's/high 60's and sunny.

Room Tip: There is no room service, you have to make your own bed and take out the garbage. Get a second or th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I rated these a 5 and I think that is so. The suites are lovely and they have every amenity. They are reasonably priced. Go through a online agency and compare. They will try to sell you a timeshare but are not heavy handed. The only negative comment I have is that we didn't realize there would be no daily maid service (not a big deal) but we didn't have coffee supplies. However there is a Kmart in walking distance. We did have a great time. The place must be wonderful in summer. Staff was great.

• Stayed October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this resort in March of 2012 - just read some of the negative reviews and felt it my duty to give a positive one. The 2 bedroom unit we stayed in was very clean - although I had brought my own laundry detergent and cleaning supplies as I will clean again no matter where I stay - the carpet was relatively new and did not have stains - there was no hair on floors etc. The sheets were clean and fresh as I inspect the beds as soon as I arrive at any hotel. No sign of bed bugs and I looked all over the bed and box spring etc. I never use the draws at any hotel and do not allow my bags to sit on the floors. Never noticed animals in the garbage they seemed to pick it up quite regularly. We were in an end unit so didn't notice much noise at all. The kitchen was well stocked and we were provided with complimentary soap, garbage bags, toilet paper, papertowel etc. As I knew this was a condo resort I also packed extra of these other things as well so as not to be charged if we ran out. The point is to remember that this is a condo resort so it is like renting a home or condo you still need to provide some things for yourself. There were plenty of towels and I had no problem doing laundry as I had only packed enough clothes for 5 days - I do laundry even when I am camping so it is no problem for me. The people who complain about no room service amazes me as this is not a hotel it is a condo resort - you are provided with amenities not room service. It you want that then you should stay at a luxury hotel. I was actually surprised by the the quality of the appliances in the kitchen, while the couch may not be the most comfortable it was clean. The indoor pool was not functioning so we were able to use the pool at the sister resort just down the road which was lovely. We had no pressure sales pitch actually no pitch at all and we are not owners. I was provided with an RCI certificate as a gift from my boss. The resort staff was helpfull and very friendly. As a matter of fact I injured myself on the mini putt course. It was my own fault and I was cleaning my knee in the bathroom at the games building and one of the staff came in noticed what I was doing and immediately asked if I was ok and went and got me bandaids and anticeptic wipes. As well she reported the injury to her boss - who then called the security staff to have someone take an incident report. I felt it was not necessary for them to do this as I had only scraped my knee. Later when I was back in my room - the manager telephoned to ask if I was ok and had I suffered anything more than scraping my knee - he also wanted to know if I needed to see a dr. or go to the local emergency as they would take me if needed. I was also asked the same thing by the security staff. They went above and beyond what was needed for a scraped knee. We did have an issue with our telephone and also a remote. When we called for maintenance - we spoke directly to someone and another person arrived at our room quickly. He replaced the cord on our telephone and figured out the remote problem - turns out the remote from the living room had got mixed up with the remote in the second bedroom. He didn't complain that we had called him for something so trivial and while he was there my husband asked him about the air conditioning unit as it was not working that well. He immediately took a look at it and then went outside to check on something out there. He explained that it was early in the season and they were having unusually warm weather for march so the air conditioning units were not completely ready for the warm weather as yet. What ever he did it worked and the air conditioner worked much better after that. The grounds at this resort were beautiful and well maintained and games rooms etc very clean. Did not have any issues with any staff as they were all friendly and they were always around. We travelled 12 hours from Canada to get to this resort and we were very pleased with our stay and location. We actually plan to stay again next spring.

Room Tip: Choose a 2 or 3 bedroom unit and try and stay in an end unit - we were not near the pool but we coul...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
53redhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The only downside was waiting in another line at check-in to receive the parking pass and before receiving had to listen to speech about signing up for a sales pitch. The unit was very nice and kitchen was stocked with everything needed, the grounds were beautiful. The unit had free wi-fi. My son that visited for a few days enjoyed the game room with unlimited play at no cost. I guess the $35 fee at check in was a reason, but it was well worth it. They also have a theatre on site and the pool was actually open the end of October. Would definitely recommend to others. I had contacted before check-in date to request bottom floor and was accommodated.

• Liked — Location and unit size
  • Disliked — Separate line for parking pass
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Williams, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom unit close to the tennis courts and activity center. Our unit was clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. The check in staff were pleasant and quick and we arrived very late - 11:30pm The location was excellent -very close to Williamsburg Historical area and Jamestown and Hwy 64 and 60. We were also within walking distance to stores and some restaurants and a very short drive to all the restaurants. The indoor pool was large and warm and there were 3 outdoor pools 1 for small children, 1 for adults and a large one for everyone. There was a hot tub, which had an adults only time in the evening. You do have to pay a $5 / day/ room activity fee, but this allowed for access to everything, including printing, nice large pool towels and games. I didn't mind this because it was only $30 extra and my boys definately used both games rooms. We ventured out each day to see the sites and there were many. It was only a short drive to the Living Virginia museum and First Landings State park, the Marine Aquarium and beautiful beaches. The resort offers a bus trip to Washington to see the sites every Thursday, which is also very good. The kitchen had everything to prepare meals and there was a grocery store near by. We also got take out chinese from a tiny place near the Goodwill store and it was excellent and cheap. Each unit has a washer and dryer and large fridge. Bring coffee, tea, milk and sugar for your mornings, because they only provide enough for two mornings, which is fair enough. We had not one complaint and enjoyed our holiday and the place that you stay can make or break a holiday. Also you don't get housekeeping which you might at other places, so use your towels with this in mind, there was a vacuum and broom for tidying.

Room Tip: I think if you have kids you might want to stay near the activity center, but everything was a short...
Port Jefferson, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The rooms were fine. They were big enough and nice enough, though the bathrooms were a little cramped. The problem was the staff. There is a pervasive lack of interest at this property, an almost every employee I dealt with was lazy, or incompetent, or pushy.

We arrived early on Sunday morning. The lobby was closed and we had to "check in" with the Security Guard at the gate. The process was very slow. We eventual were assigned a room. There was no parking and after lugging all our luggage up three flights of stairs, there was also no elevator, we discovered that the room was not clean. There were wet towels all over the floor and the beds had been slept in. I call the front gate and the "Sergeant" who was in charge has decidedly put out that I called her. She told me I had to come back to the gate and get a new room. I asked her to verify that the new room was clean, which she did, but not before giving me an attitude. She was adamant that there was no manager I could speak to, because it was Sunday night and they didn't want to be woken up.

After the fiasco of having to drag my sleeping kids and luggage down and then backup three flights of stairs to my new room we finally got to sleep. The circus started again the next day when I had to go to the lobby and check in again. I didn't think much of it, but there is a alterior motive to this. They want to make sure you get the sales pitch for the time share. After checking in I was directed to the concierge to get my parking pass. I thought it was a little weird, but "Sales Copy" on the bottom, but she insisted that it was an emergency contact form. I pointed out that there was a section asking about my income. I was curious how that would be used in an emergency and told her I was interested in the sales pitch. She was then very nasty and insisted that I sign indicating that I was declining to fill out the form, because it was there "policy" that every "renter" (not time share owner) fill it out.

I was pretty annoyed at this point. I won't stay at a Wyndham property again. If you are in Williamsburg look at Marriott's Ford Colony - it is down the road and the staff is wonderful. You also get a fireplace and Jacuzzi in the room for the same price point.

Oh, to add insult in injury this property has a 10:30 check out. They don't mention this odd time, but they charge $35 for each half hour after 10:30. Luckily my wife saw this and we got out on time. At 10:25 the maid started knocking on the door. I can only imagine that she was there to make sure the Wyndham got its $35 dollars. She sure wasn't there to clean up, as there were piles of used linens and trash bags in the lobby of both buildings we stayed in for pretty much the whole trip. This place is terrible

Room Tip: Don't Stay here - Try the Marriott's Ford Colony down the street
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was a little nervous about our stay based on other reviews, but we were very pleasanlty surprised. I was asked one time at check in if we wanted to have the free breakfast/aka sales pitch. I simply told her no and that was the last I heard of it, not pushy at all. We were given the choice of which floor we wanted to stay on and had a very large and comfortable 2 br condo. The grounds were beautiful (and didn't see any trash on the ground like other reviewers noted). The game room and mini golf were an added bonus. Only complaints was that the top sheet was hard and sounded like plastic and there was only a shower in the master bath (although there was a small tub in the second bathroom). Other than that, great experience! Much more comfortable than a traditional hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the top floor of a second story building. No one above you, but only 1 level of stai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!