“Perfect for families” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

You added Wyndham Kingsgate to your Saves list
Wyndham Kingsgate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   619 Georgetown Crescent, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Kingsgate Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
right here
“Perfect for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We just got back from a week-long stay. We loved this place!

We chose a first-floor unit, because, while I thought we may hear people above us if we were on the first floor, we would DEFINITELY have to walk up and down stairs over and over if we were on the third floor. We heard very little noise above us, and it was very nice, after a long, exhausting day, to NOT have to walk up to the second or third floor!

We loved the adult-only pool. Very nice to not have kids splashing constantly. In fact, most days, we enjoyed sitting in the pool, on ledges built-in the sides of the pool, with a cool beverage in one hand, and a cheap paper back novel in the other!

There is a lovely, well-maintained mini golf course, nice tennis courts and a small playground. I played a quick round of golf early in the morning. This, by the way, is the best time to take advantage of the free golf and the free games in the arcade room: early mornings! No one was around then. Evenings, the golf and arcade rooms were ABSOLUTELY PACKED!! We would hang out in the adult pool then.

(By the way, my daughter is almost 17, she went in the adult pool all week, and was never challenged. I didn't mind, because I know she just wanted to cool down, not splash everyone else.)

We usually went to a tourist location in the morning, came back to the room to eat lunch, we then swam in the adult pool for a few hours, and returned to either the same tourist spot, or a different one for the evening. Worked out great.

We did not mind not getting clean towels all week, we would rather the resort save money. We used the washer and dryer, and were glad to have it!

There was a restaurant, I believe? Don't know, we didn't use it. We didn't buy drinks or food at the pool bar, either. We brought our own drinks and mixers, and mixed our own drinks to drink at the pool, rather than spend $7-$8 each at the pool bar.

Everyone was very cheerful and friendly. This was a wonderful place, I'd happily go back next year.

Room Tip: We had a room close to the activities, so we could walk to the pool. We never were disturbed by noi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Our family really enjoyed our stay in the 2 bedroom unit. It was stocked with everything we needed. We enjoyed the pool area, computer lab, and game room. We found the $5/day fee reasonable. The location was convenient with shopping and restaurants nearby. It took us less than 10 minutes to get to the attractions.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that this review would have been a 2 out of 5 if it weren't for the staff members that were nice to us which was a total of about one or two out of maybe ten that we delt with.

I will try to be fair by posting a pro and con section and I will try to keep it short because I know what it's like to see so many of these.

Our stay was from July 29 2012 - Aug 4 2012

Pros:
~Indoor and Outdoor Pools (very crowded)
~Nice Tennis courts (did not use, looked nice)
~Miniture golf course on site (did not use, did not see)
~Arcade and Activity area (My wife was not impressed by this area although I did not see it)

To be fair we spent most of our time away from the resort so we did not use the activities or arcade. I will review Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA seperately.

Cons:
~No elevators (We did have the option of what floor we wanted but chose third due to complaints of noise in other reviews, glad we did)
~Thin walls (had to keep getting on to my kids to not be loud, we could here the kids in the next room)
~Shower adjustment (could not keep a constant temp in the shower, went from scald to freeze)
~Uncomfortable Beds (Bed in bedroom very hard, pull out couch was miserable)
~No Towel Exchange (We were told this was because of the resort going green, but we could wash them ourselves.?. Had to buy detergent and dry them twice in the small drying. Green? This is the first time we have ever experienced this an we travel within RCI resorts a lot.)
~Resort old and in need of repairs (Some people can probably over look this but it erks me because this is the type of thing that owners maintenance fees are suppose to pay for and if my home resort looked like this I wouldn't have bought there.)

Overall this place was on my bad side from the start. While we were checking in I left my wife to finish up so that I could get my two boys outside to burn off a little of the energy from the ten hours in the car. My two year fell cutting his hand and both knees. The scrape on his hand was somewhat large so he covered the front of my white t-shirt with blood. When I came in to hand off the five year old to my wife and to clean up the cut no one offered any assistance. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect them to "rescue" him but after having no luck with finding a band aid in the car my wife had to return to the building to ask for one. No one even reacted at all except that the time share lady didn't press my wife about the breakfast we were suppose to do after seeing my son screaming.

I know that Wyndham is building a new resort in the area and if we want to go back to Williamsburg we will try to stay there. We really did like Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband needs a fully accessible handicapped unit with a shower, because he cannot step into a bathtub. We didn't expect to get what we asked for, but we did. When we checked in, they said to us that they had a handicapped ground floor unit, we asked about a walk in shower and they made sure we got a unit that was just right for us. They went out of their way to make sure of that. The pool area is clean and very nice. There is a hot tub and an adult pool as well. Between 3 - 5 the snack area is open. There is also a store with various foods and snacks that is open all day into the night time hou

Room Tip: Ask for what you want, they will go out of their way to make sure that you get what you request.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We are Wyndham owners and stayed here the 2nd week of July, 2012. Unfortunately, we did not receive our room when promised so we had to wait longer before we received it. We had a 1 bedroom room which was nice and well maintained. Everything you needed to use in the kitchen was there. Even small Bath & Body Works bath amenities were provided which was nice. The room didn’t have an oven though as I brought along brownies to bake but that is ok. Even the bed was comfortable. We were on the first floor and so we heard the people above us constantly moving (running) around. This resort is gated with Security present which was nice. The thing I need to say was the most disheartening was the “Owner Update”. Yes, it is a lie that it will only take 90 minutes. We were there for 3 hours, no kidding! When we first arrived to the update we had to wait 45 minutes before someone came to us, then we got our free lunch which was a pork bbq sandwich and macaroni salad and drink (Lemonade). So add another 25 minutes. Then finally got with a salesperson. He first walked us to the Presidential Suite to see which wasn’t real close to where we were. Sure it was nice to see but we would never use something like this. Then came the talking. Pressure was high and we told them we weren’t interested in upgrading, but pressure continued. These people are very aggressive and will not take “No” as an answer. It came to the point where we wanted our $70 American Express Card now. So finally, we got our Amex Card but only after we received rude actions from the woman who gave it out. My suggestion is DO NOT do the Owner Update. To me, its not worth going through this drilling to get a reward. It definitely doesn’t fit well in making a great vacation. But to recap about the Resort, it is a nice family resort that is clean with a lot of activities and pool to keep you occupied. Definitely stay here!

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if stairs are an issue, request a first floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The staff was very nice. I wished we knew that we could get a discount from the activity center for Williamsberg. We love being able to make salads and sandwiches for the cooler! The only extra things we brought that we really needed was Tupperware, ziploc bags and laundry detergent since they did small loads. We were worried about the noise but we had a fan on in the master and slept really well.

• Stayed May 2012
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Ive been to this property twice, first Sept 2011 and then Mar 2012, the first time was a 2 bdrm, we got some sightseeing in and all n all had a great time, loved the accommodations....the second time I got the 3 bedroom lockoff, which was just perfect, my friends (a family of 5) took the 2 bdrm and I stayed in the 1 bedroom. We ended doing the Owner Update, they lied as to the length of time it would take and once they have you, you don't want to walk out w/out your AX gift card. They actually asked my friend for his SS# so they could "pre-qualify" them and then threatened me for referrals. I wouldn't bother going thru the update in Williamsburg again, I found them to be extremely rude. Regardless I am looking for my next visit to Kingsgate, I loved the accommodations and the facility. There is so much to see and do in the area Im sure I will be going back for years to come. AS far as the $5 daily charge I hear so many complaining about, I can see that if you do not use the facility, but so far every time Ive gone we've used the game room and between us all I am sure we used about $5/day in video games!

Room Tip: I chose units that surround the pool, great view, 2 story, I always stay on the top floor. Even w/a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Kingsgate? Share your experiences!