“Smoky-Mildew-in-the-Bathroom-Nonsmoking room” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Williamsburg

You added Red Roof Inn Williamsburg to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Williamsburg
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   824 Capitol Landing Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Royal Inn Williamsburg - Busch Gardens)   |
Ranked #48 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
DC
“Smoky-Mildew-in-the-Bathroom-Nonsmoking room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

We planned a two day trip to Busch Gardens and decided to stay at the red roof in because of price...we definitely got what we paid for. Our non smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke which seemed to be coming in from the smoking room next to us somehow. The bathroom tiles were covered with mildew and mold, and the tub drained poorly. The furniture was worn and the place looked like it was in need of a thorough clean and a renovation. Next time I am in Williamsburg I am forking out the money to stay some where nice

• Liked — The pancake place next to it.
  • Disliked — Mildew ALL OVER the bathroom. Cirgarette smoke coming into my room from the room next door
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

My sister, myself and my aunt stayed at this motel, my aunt lives in Williamsburg and said for the price it would be a good place to stay well... thats to say the least.

By the time we got there our room wasn't ready but the Indian women gave us a key anyway about 2 hours later her and her creepy husband came in and started cleaning the sink with some harsh chemical cleaner & they put pillow cases on the bed and put towels on the rack... later i noticed when i used the bathroom someone had left a bar of soap that had short little nubby hair on it.. and i saw some kind of beetle bug on the door hing.. that is NOT WHAT creeped me out though!
LATER..
My sister and I went out on the balcony & all of a sudden a huge tree came crashing down and shook the whole building we were freaked out then I realized people were sawing down trees in the woodlines behind where we were staying... the only problem with this is.. the tree they sawed down came down TOO close for comfort!

The bed was wayyy to hard and the room smelled funky and musky..

Now skipping ahead to the morning my aunt left at 7:30 to goto work and me and my sister slept until my aunt was going to give us a wake up call at ten.... at 9:50 I was woken up by light shinning in the front door and someone in the bathroom.. I propped myself up in bed and waiting until they came out thinking it was my aunt coming back cause she had forgotten an item? All of a sudden a tall white haired man dressed in dark pants and a blue button down short sleeve shirt with glasses on see me and runs out of the room and slams the door then i hear another door near the room we are staying in slam!
Now I was shocked... my sister saw the man as well and said "WHO THE F*** was that!?" I called my aunt and told her the story and she told me to call the front desk.. so I did.
Indian women owner picks up the phone and I say " I'm in room 204 and a man just came into my room... " she sat there for a second and replys "Yes he came to leave bible.. was too early for that?" like it's my fault I'm not up! The conversation went on and she kept interrupting me... and I hung up on her because I was getting no where .. after my sister and I talked somemore.. I got angry and decided to call back after we were almost ready to leave at check out time.. I said "Yes I just called about the man that came into my room.....I DO NOT THINK it's acceptable that some weird man came into my room and used the bathroom and then ran out.. anybody that isnt' blind would have seen that the room was occupied & that there were people sleeping" she starts raising her voice at me and she did not apologize for anything she just said "that isn't acceptable i will find out who it was...." and I SAID" FIND OUT WHO IT WAS? do you just give keys out to people that aren't on your staff to leave bibles?" she said "is there a bible in the bathroom?" so I decided to humor her and go look for a bible in the bathroom which there was not one... and I told her" NO THERE is no bible and the MAN did not have a bible in his hands when he left the room" anyway to make a long story short this motel staff husband and wife will give your room key out to anyone... that is going to drop off bibles..
GOOD idea if you are a rapist or serial killer... what if me or my sister had been naked or one of us in the shower? the man did not KNOCK or say one word after I caught him in my room...
I WOULD SERIOUSLY consider staying here especially if you are a female.

• Liked — Nothing...
  • Disliked — Everything Read review..
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Warren, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

My family and I were going to Williamsburg for a one night stay. This was the first time for all of us, so we were unsure of the area. From the outside, the hotel didn't look to bad, but we could tell there would be problems as soon as we checked in. We got out hotel to put our luggage away, and immidetly noticed the smell, and the dirty celling. We got two double beds, and there were two small pillows on each. We were unable to reach the front desk to ask for more pillows by phone, and didn't feel like making the trip down there so we just went to sleep. We noticed there were stains on the bedsheets. I also had to check for ice, twice at night there was no ice, and once in the morning (again, no ice). The front desk said there would be ice shortly, but I never saw any there. The hotel wasn't the worst, but I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Good free breakfast in the morning
  • Disliked — Dirty room, stains on bedsheets
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We have a dog, so are very limited in hotels that allow a pet without paying an astronomical fee. Unfortunately, this was by far one of the worst experiences in a motel we have had. We called in advance for reservations and could not even understand the woman at the front desk. We ended up calling the 800 number to reserve the room on Visa. When we arrived, we paid cash and checked to be sure we would be given a receipt upon checking out. The woman at the desk refused and told us we did not need one. I have never heard of this being done. When we persisted, she finally agreed to give us one the next day. The room was the filthiest room I have ever stayed in. There were burn holes in the sheets (we requested non-smoking), something on the blankets I don't care to guess on, and stuff on the walls near the sink area and the toliet paper holder -- make your own assumptions. (I should have stock in Lysol.) To make matters worse, the tub drained so slowly when I took a shower that I had to keep turning the water off to keep it from overflowing onto the floor. The next morning I went to get coffee and was told they did not open until 7:00 AM. Overall, it was a very bad experience. Filthy, Filthy, Filthy. This has pretty much done me in with Red Roof Inns.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy room, attitude of manager
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Bowie, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

I realize that Virginia is a tobacco friendly state, but I never thought I would be punished for requesting a non smoking room – I was sadly mistaken.

When we entered our room, I found a used ash tray on the nightstand. Went back to the office and the clerk assured me that no one had ever smoked in that room – even if it did not have the NO SMOKING sing on the door. He offered to switch us to another nonsmoking room, but he again assured me that no one had ever smoked in the room – the ash tray was for people to stand outside their room and smoke. As we were running late for a dinner party and the desk clerk had assured me that it was a non smoking room, I declined.

Worst night in any hotel I ever had Requested a non smoking room put into a smokers room Bedding had burn holes microwave had a burn mark on top Room was very dirty

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty room, burn marks, attitude of staff, being lied to by staff, attitude of coporate office
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

This was the worst hotel ever stayed at. The room had over 6 holes in the walls, the air conditioning did not work, there were fleas. The room smelled so bad of flea powder you could not even stay in the room. There was dirt and grease marks all over everything. There is nothing worst than bringing your family for vacation and you sweat, get bit by fleas and cant breath. My whole family slept with there regular clothes on(fleas). The worst part was I complained to the front desk and they LIED to me about everything. This did not stop there. I ask for a refund when we left and they told me they would mail it since I paid with a check. After ten calls and a month and a half later I finally received it.The hotel owner said it was mailed twice on a certain date and finally showed and looked at the postmark it was 10 days after he said. He is a LIER TOO. Do not trust this hotel or there mangement. I was a red roof preferred customer NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!The regional manager of red roof told me since it was a franchise hotel he could not do anything. Dont make the mistake. I have pictures to prove it on my phone. When I left there were other people complaining also. Enter at your own risk!!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007
cleveland, ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

dirty dirty dirty everything broken in room...room trashed... overcharged...moved to new room with cockroaches
so disgusted i cannot continue....
think i developed rash here
calling health department

Stayed May 2007

Been to Red Roof Inn Williamsburg? Share your experiences!