“Wonderful hotel in Williamsburg” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Wonderful hotel in Williamsburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

This was a beautiful hotel in Williamsburg. We had checked into another hotel that we won on priceline, and it was so bad that we left to find another hotel. As soon as we walked in the door of HGI, we knew we had made the right choice. We were greeted and given an excellent rate, as well as free breakfast for 2. The hotel was clean, bright and airy...beautiful decor. The staff was excellent, and always made sure we were happy with our stay. The beds were comfy and clean, the shower was clean, and the carpet was clean. They offered complimentary warm cookies in the afternoon. Everything about our stay was excellent. We learned our lesson and will stick with Hilton brand hotels in the future. We have never had a problem with any Hilton brand hotel we have stayed at!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
dragonfly117, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg. We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments about your stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will think of us again in the future.

Kimberly Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I wanted to take my two teenage girls to Williamsburg for a weekend of fun. When we checked in the front desk clerk, took a special interest in my 16 year old daughter. He was actually ignoring me and talking to her the entire time. I asked him to speed the process up and then he became irate. I asked if someone else was available to assist and he informed me it was late at night and he was all I had. I asked him to have a manager call me in the morning and none did. The next night my daughters went swimming and my daughter came up to me and told me that he told her who good she looked in her swim wear and she walked away from him as he made a comment under his breath. I told him that was inappropriate over the phone and he just hung up on me. AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg. We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments about your stay. I would personally like to apologize for the experience that you had with one of our employees. We were unaware of the situation and wish that we had found out about it sooner. The employee is no longer with us because of the inappropriate behavior. We hope that you will try us again in the future and we can assure that you the same situation will not happen again.

Spotsylvania, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My family checked into the Williamsburg Garden Inn for a brief vacation. The property is relatively new. I was shocked at the worn room; there were stains on the upholstery, as well as marks and (no kidding) dents in the walls. We paid a bit more for a "suite". It was not a true "suite"; there was not a door between the bedroom and the living room. There were only two lamps in the living room (one was on a side table), so the "living room" was dark as a cave. The living room had one upholstered chair and a love seat. The lack of a sofa meant that my small family of 3 was "cheek to cheek" if we all sat in the living room.

We were not given our free breakfast certificates at check-in, and were accosted on no fewer than 3 occasions by the hostess and waitstaff over whether we were improperly trying to eat free. Even after we got the certificates from the front desk staff, the waitresses gave us a hard time because one member of our party ate later, and we were given only one certificate for the entire party for each day of our stay. This made it tough since some of our party are "early birds" while others prefer to sleep in and eat later. In addition, the china and silverware were not very clean. I had to change out my coffee cup on both days at breakfast.

The desk staff was not as rude, but remarkably uninterested. When we brought this treatment by the restaurant staff to their attention, nothing was done. In light of the recession and reduction or elimination of discretionary travel by many families, I was taken aback by the condition of the property and the attitude of the staff.

The rates at the Williamsburg Hilton Garden Inn are comparable to the Williamsburg Woodlands, which is owned by Colonial Williamsburg. The latter's rooms are much nicer and cleaner, and the Woodlandsis located at the edge of the historic district.. It is a much better option that this very mediocre Hilton property with poorly maintained rooms and rude staff.

I write this review with reluctance because I am a Hilton Honors member, and am usually quite happy with Hilton properties. But this is one to avoid.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
dragonfly117, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the HGI. I see that you had some difficults with your stay. I would like to appologize for the breakfast staff and the front desk staff for not meeting you needs as a guest. We appreciate all of the comments you provided us and will use them to improve our staff and hotel. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Great location. The staff was fantastic. We asked for a crib when booking the room and it was set up when we got there!

The staff was so nice to our kids! The cookies every afternoon were a hit!!! The room was very clean and everyone was so accomodating. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at the HGI. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

This was a lovely hotel. LOVED the comfortable beds, linens and bath towels. The room was a bit cramped though. One little decadent luxury were the great, free, afternoon cookies. Nice sitting area in lobby with fireplace. Only negative was charging for some of the little things, like using the telephone for a 1-800 #! The prix fixe menu for breakfast drove me to any of the perfectly good restaurants within walking distance. Cheaper and can have what you want!

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay at the HGI. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Warren Grove, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

Very convenient location. Clean, bright and cheeful. We had everything we needed and the staff made sure to double-check that that was so.

Front desk folks we found to be very helpful when we had questions about the area or the hotel - and they were friendly and pleasant any time they had a chance to say "hi". Everyone was.

Now that we are back home, we especially miss the big plate of cookies in the lobby every afternoon. :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about your stay here at the HGI. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future. We will have the cookies waiting for you.

Guest Service Manager
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

Stayed here one night on business. Was treated somewhat rudely by front desk staff who insisted I did not have a reservation (turns out they "misplaced" it)-they did not apologize for their error. Otherwise pleaseant experience. Facilities are nice and breakfast was excellent. Breakfast staff very attentive and nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
dragonfly117, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 3, 2009
Thank you for taking time to share feedback about your stay. We are a top rated HGI for guest service and we take pride in our accomplishments. I am sorry that the Front Desk staff did not show you excellent customer service. I share all guest comments with the staff so that we can continually improve our weaknesses.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg? Share your experiences!