“My daughter said she felt like a movie star in Hollywood at this hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Bypass

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“My daughter said she felt like a movie star in Hollywood at this hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I found this new hotel online. We go to Williamsburg frequently and usually stay at the same place. I thought we would try this brand new hotel and so glad that we did. My husband and I along with our two children enjoyed our stay at this beautiful and unique hotel. The black, white, and red decor is very different but was very stunning. The hotel has interesting artwork and light fixtures. The pool was awesome with its squirting jets and lights. My daughter loved this hotel and said she felt like an important movie star in Hollywood. The breakfast was standard like most hotels but the food was good. They had a good selection. The room was comfortable and very clean. Thanks for a great stay. We will be back and will recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed here 2 nights while traveling with our 8 and 12 year old kids. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The room has one room with 2 queen beds, the bathroom, and a tv and then the 2nd room has a king bed and a second tv. For us, this set up is ideal when traveling with our kids. However, the only suites like this in the hotel are situated such that the room with the king bed is adjacent to the elevator shaft. This made for a very loud, disruptive night's sleep. Despite that, I still liked the room. We had tons of space. The kids LOVED it there. They especially enjoyed the pool and I liked being able to sit in the hot tub next to the pool while they swam.

The breakfast offerings were limited and, although the waffle makers are fun, I can't imagine wanting to wait to use them if the hotel had been full. It's a very slow process. Given that the breakfast was free, I'll call it "adequate" but it is not going to fill up big eaters nor provide much for restrictive diets or picky eaters.

We will definitely stay here again - our kids keep talking about it - they really thought it was "cool" and really, I must admit, it was.

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Let me start off by saying that I am a picky traveler, with moderately high expectations. My past experiences with Comfort Inns and Suites have been mixed so I was prepared to have some level of disappointment. No need. Comfort Suites exceeded all expectations. I love this place! While some folks with traditional tastes may find the decor to be over-the-top, I thought it was brilliantly done.

From the lobby to the common areas and guest rooms, the modern black/brown/red color scheme and "freaky fun" theme was a refreshing change from the typical stale floral patterns. More importantly, the facility was spotless and comfortable with many thoughtful touches not typically seen at mid-priced family hotel chains. These include: generously sized rooms with pillowtop beds, pull-out sofas, 32 inch LCD TVs, micro/fridge combos, and a partial divider between the beds and sofa area. The pool area had a separate hot tub and the pool temperature was actually warm. The pool even has a "mini light show" with spraying water, which the kids thought was cool. There is a small workout area and arcade adjoining the pool as well.

The breakfast offerings were pretty standard but there was a "hot" entree (bacon or sausage with eggs) and make your own waffles every morning. Contrary to other reviews, we found the breakfast space to spacious, with a tasteful version of the freaky fun theme extended to the table areas.

The service was very good the first night but just average the second and third day. Although this is a limited service chain, the front desk were able to accommodate most of my requests/concerns. TIP: Save a few bucks by buying drinks and snacks at 7/11 a quarter mile from the hotel entrance. You can use the micro/fridge to heat or cool your food.

I got a great rate with military ID but even the rack rate was more than reasonable considering the facility and overall experience. The hotel was centrally located and convenient to both Busch Gardens (10-15 minute car ride) and colonial Williamsburg. You would be hard pressed to find a better value, especially with families.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I have a mixed review about this hotel. My wife and I stayed here for about four days this past week. First the decor that everyone has been talking about. Wow. It's...different. At first, I thought it was pretty funky and neat. Definitely going for modern with black, white and red. Funny hands stick out the walls, lots of metal included. I realized, like another reviewer, shortly into the trip that it is rather depressing. I couldn't tell what I was feeling, but I realized it was...depressed. It later will come off as dark and not inviting. Too bad as I thought it was cool at first.

Location. Location. Location. Excellent. Close to Busch Gardens and VERY close to Colonial Williamsburg.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. We didn't witness the crowds, but it was easy enough to get stuff and head back to the room. Coffee, cereal, etc. Nothing special.

Service. We didn't run into service folks a lot other than to check in and check out. Again, nothing to write home about, but I'd rather be left alone anyway, so I wasn't honestly looking for anything. The room service in terms of cleaning though...needs more. Coffee maker not cleaned. Bathroom is going to slip quickly if they stick with what they are doing now. It's not going to stay nice long. Oh, and it's funny how we made up the bed to remove and fold the comforter and place on second bed, while using blanket on ours, but it was put back each day. I guess we should just have left a note we only needed towels anyway.

Bed was hard. I disagree in comfort with others. We have a relatively soft bed at home and the hotel bed was killing us in the mornings. Again, that's just a matter of taste I guess.

Pool was a riot. Small pool, but these funny jets of water are always going. Jacuzzi near pool was cloudy and nasty. Did not enter that.

So, we went for the new look we heard about. I think it will age quickly, and the carpet in the elevator is already going, but who cares? It's worth a look and was relatively cheap for the area it's in.

Would I recommend? I guess so. Just no big shakes. I'll try somewhere else the next time around in Williamsburg just to compare.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I traveled to Williamsburg for a trip to Busch Gardens with 2 grown nieces, my son (10) and my younger niece (9). I had a little trouble finding a hotel that could accommodate 5 people in one room, and stumbled across this hotel in my search. It is a really short, easy drive from Busch Gardens, and it is super close to William & Mary College.

We checked in late after a long day at the park. The guy at the front desk could not have been nicer, gave me my keys quickly and a set of sheets for the pull out sofa as I had requested. We were all soaking wet from the park rides, so it was nice that we were able to get to our room so quickly and change. Plenty of luggage carts available.

The room was clean and large, with a microwave and small fridge. The facility is just a few months old, so everything was in good repair. Nice, comfy beds. We arrived late, and by the time we had dinner out, it was too late to try the pool or gym. It all looked great, however. Only complaints about the room: 1) the curtains don't close, so you have no privacy except some sheers, plus the sun comes right in in the morning, and 2) our fridge was really, really noisy

The breakfast buffet was nice, however, by the time I got everyone showered and out of the room for breakfast, it was crazy, crazy, busy. We couldn't get near the waffle iron for anything warm, and the eggs were plentiful but stone cold. I think if we had made it earlier, it would have been much better.

The checkout staff was really friendly and helpful as well. Again, plent of luggage carts available to get bags to the car. It was an overall great experience and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

If you can get past the gloomy decor of red/white/gray/black then you will enjoy this hotel. Otherwise stay clear. It is very depressing everywhere you look. The walls are dark gray, the doors are black, the carpet is black/red/white. That said, the bed is comfy, the breakfast is good, lots to choose from, and the pool is fun kids. Location is great, nice and quiet and the price is fantatastic.

I get that they are going for a "modern" look, but even the lobby is gloomy. You want to walk in to a hotel lobby after hours of driving and feel happy that you have arrived at your hotel destination,but it's a bit creepy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
chesapeake, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

My wife, kids, and I stayed at this hotel in mid-August while we visited Watercountry USA. This is a relatively brand new, very clean, and quiet hotel. Check-in was very quick and efficient. The front desk person, Miriam, was very professional. Our room was immaculately clean. The beds were also clean and very comfortable as I have come to expect from Comfort Suites. The free high-speed Internet worked very well.

The free continental breakfast is to die for!! Fluffy eggs, crispy bacon, sausage, waffles, juices, fresh fruit, pastries and more will get your day started right. There is no need to go out and buy breakfast. Also, this hotel is surrounded by a myriad of shops, the Outlet Mall, and other historic landmarks. Miriam was very helpful in pointing some things out to us. A few hundred yards In the rear of the hotel, there is the Amtrak rail line where the train passes through occasionally, but it is hardly noticeable because the noise and a view of the train itself is shielded by a nice thicket of woods.

What else is there to say? This hotel is a jewel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Bypass? Share your experiences!